what part of your game are you working on?

I decided to finally break down and get the SeeMore that I have been wanting to get, so this winter I will be working on mainly putting.

I have been trying to work on my wedge game from 75-80 yards down. I just can't seem to get the feel of the "in-between" wedge shots.

spent 2 hours at the indoor range working on a few things:

new grip- feels odd but hard to argue with the feel and consistent ball striking I'm seeing. old grip was too weak and was losing too much distance on all clubs

5 iron (consistent ball striking)- the new grip I'm working with has now cured the issues I has with using this club. this will be back in the back this year

driver (eliminate toe misses)- miss was more on the bottom under the sweet spot but shots would still have been playable. moved half a step closer to the ball and shots were all in the sweet spot

GW (chips and 1/2-3/4 shots)- pushed a lot of chips to the right at first but by the end the chips were crisp

Putting (consistent lag putting)- the new putter really helps with distance control (never short) and almost all putts were either in or within a foot past cup.

spent 2 hours indoors working on a few things:

new grip- feels odd but hard to argue with the feel and consistent ball striking I'm seeing. old grip was too weak and was losing too much distance on all clubs

5 iron (consistent ball striking)- the new grip I'm working with has now cured the issues I has with using this club. this will be back in the back this year

driver (eliminate toe misses)- miss was more on the bottom under the sweet spot but shots would still have been playable. moved half a step closer to the ball and shots were all in the sweet spot

GW (chips and 1/2-3/4 shots)- pushed a lot of chips to the right at first but by the end the chips were crisp

Putting (consistent lag putting)- the new putter really helps with distance control (never short) and almost all putts were either in or within a foot past cup.

Good stuff dude. Sounds like you got some winter progress going there. Just like Pen Dot working on 202, progress as promised.

its a start man. the short game area is impressive at this place. I see a lot of progress being made in the chipping and pitching areas of my game this winter. Going to really help being able to keep swinging over the winter now instead of being dormant for a few months
Good stuff dude. Sounds like you got some winter progress going there. Just like Pen Dot working on 202, progress as promised.

it was raining and warm so i went to the covered range today
i have got to work on my shorter clubs... holy crap!
woods/hybrids just crushing the ball
mid/long irons nice and straight
anything shorter and its a huge pull/hook with zero distance

Irons. All of them. In looking at my golf app stats I hit nearly 80% of fairways but only 30% of greens. Not good. New irons. Lessons. More iron practice. And short game - but I get a lot of practice with the short game while on the course as a result of all of those missed GIRs. :)

Looking at setting a smooth tempo on all my clubs.

I need to get back to my consistant set up routine too.

Keeping my hands ahead of the ball at contact.

I have hit about 500 knock down 7 irons to 100-120 yds. in this past week.....all to learn how to take a divot.

Swingplane. Tend to go inside on the takeaway and then I occasionally come down very steep on the ball.

after reading quite a few posts on different golf forums I think I'll work on tucking in my shirt
I've failed miserablely on not wearing denim so I thought I'd try something I might be able to attain.

speaking of clothing... i had a jacket on yesterday and i was slicing
it got warmer out so i removed the jacket... duck hooks

right now im working on hitting a ball straight

im working on everything, i fell off the roof last year and didnt get to play until november in myrtle beach and my games wasnt to good!!!! however im healthy again so lets get it on!!!

Today it was driver and putting. Driving has been really bad lately but I had a very good range session today and I think I worked a few things out. Putting has always been the strongest part of my game but I have been pushing a lot of putts recently so I spent time on the green working out the stroke.

I am working on my irons now... I improved by driving a lot lately, but somehow that messed up my iron swing... I dont really know why, but now I need to go back and figure out the irons....

My 3 keys to the year are:

1. More consistant driving-the new driver seems much straighter, and I need to get away from "big" anything(big draw, big cut, big swing) and just go with smooth and straight. It goes farther that way anyway.

2. Chipping with a variety of clubs, not just my 60*(this has helped a ton already), so I can use the same basic swing and adjust based on the distance.

3. Putting-I have a new putting green in my yard so this will be great. My focus is on the 5-15 footers as I don't make enough of these.

There is a ton more to work on, but these three things could drop my HC in half this year.

I'm working on my accuracy off the tee and putting, especially putting. I would love to start making more of the 15 footers. It would also be nice to keep the ball in the short grass off the tee more often. I'm taking lessons with the PGA pro at golfers warehouse here in hartford so i'm hopeful that i'll see some positive results this winter and can take it to the course come spring time.

today was 2.5 hours of all short game stuff. nothing but wedges, Niblick, and putter. full shots were inconsistent with everything, even the Niblick, for some reason. Lots of low screamers or blocks to the right. Pitching and Chipping was some of the best I've had in a long time. Crisp, solid contact with everything and you could really feel the Spinner shafts working their magic as the range balls even had a little action on them. Good stuff. Touch with the Niblick was spotty at best and I struggled with distance control with it. The putter was spot on today, if it wasn't in it was close. I really see my lag putting improving and I think I;m going to be able to save a lot more pars this year with more long putts going in instead of tapping in for bogey.

i really need to hit the range

been working on fundamentals today
i changed the width of my stance
set up a bunch of alignment aids during warm up
worked on some lag drills
made a huge difference... too bad they didnt kick in till after the first 9
my alignment was so off it was crazy and for some reason my stance was wayyy wide
no wonder i couldnt turn thru my swing properly
im excited to get back out on the course

Shortening my backswing, particularly with driver. I let my right arm go past 90* which causes my left arm to collapse in the backswing. All but straightened myself out at the range, now the challenge is to see if I can take the same approach to the course.

Be able to draw the ball if need be with the driver/fairway

General swing speed increase, which is going quite well

I need to shallow out my angle of attack, and start hitting the center of the clubface a little better

Those in between wedge shots from around 60 yds to the green. These little shots can be a nightmare to be so short. What technique and club do you choose for these delicate type shots?

Swingplane. Tend to go inside on the takeaway and then I occasionally come down very steep on the ball.

DONE! Now it's just maintenance and some indoor putting for a few weeks before I go to Spain for a week. There it'll be mostly playing and working on my short game.

Those in between wedge shots from around 60 yds to the green. These little shots can be a nightmare to be so short. What technique and club do you choose for these delicate type shots?

i love these shots... and for me it all depends on the lie and the obstacles... ive even used a hybrid to "putt" from 60 yrds lol

Back