Golf Channel Am Tour?

Spaceman_Spiff

Reaction score
Firestone CO, north of Denver about 20 mins
Handicap
Was wondering if anyone here plays on this tour in your area? I'm definitely interested in trying it out this year in Colorado... Could be fun I hope!

I have some friends that did it and preferred their local leagues. I think in some areas, it could be a complete blast. I only have a few good rounds a year in me, so I save them for the THP Outing of course.

I have a friend that runs the tounaments for the South Louisana, Mississippi and East Texas area.
He needed someone to fill in for a last minute dropout last year and I took him up on it since it was free for me.
Had a great time and met some good people. I simply can't afford to join it for the season since my wife is due in a month!

I have a friend that runs the tounaments for the South Louisana, Mississippi and East Texas area.
He needed someone to fill in for a last minute dropout last year and I took him up on it since it was free for me.
Had a great time and met some good people. I simply can't afford to join it for the season since my wife is due in a month!

Ha! Thanks for reply tdinbr... I was in the same situation 2 summer's ago myself! Congrats on the baby and good luck!

Spaceman,

I have played on it before and it pretty fun. I changed and started playing on a local tour which was camlled eGolf. This was a local tour and was a real blast.Even helped my buddy run it. Over the off season this tour was purchased by GolfWeek magazine and is now known as the GolfWeek Amateur Tour. I think it may be even better this year. Check it out, they have one in Denver.

SMG

I have played in the GolfWeek tour for the last two years. It is a blast to go out play tournaments for fun. It also quite a bit cheaper than the Golf Channel AM tour

I have heard really good things about the Golfweek tour. I looked it up and there is a local one in Denver(if that is local to you)

i agree about the local leagues, just too expensive to play in the golf channel am tour. havent checked out the golf week am tour, but do that now

Congrats on the new one. If my wife said you can golf more or we can have another baby I would take another baby but she's not in.

I was looking into joining the Golf Channel AM Tour this season so this thread caught my eye...

At first glance it looks like the Golfweek AM Tour is very similar, maybe slightly cheaper, although their website isn't great. I wonder, do these events have good turnouts? I looked at the signup sheet for some of the Golf Channel AM Tour events in Indianapolis, IN and there were only a handful of participants.

Depending on the flight you play in there's usually 10-15 per flight, in my area at least.

I second the Golfweek tour. Played the Golf Channel Am tour for a year and have no plans to return. The Golfweek tour is hands down the better of the two in the Louisville area. Surprised the Golf Channel tour survived in this area after record low turnouts here last year.

i played on the golf channel am tour here in los angeles and i agree...met lots of good people but it is just too expensive. if you can afford it then it is a blast.

No senior tour in Denver with Golfweek

It looks like it would be an absolute blast, but I'm 600 miles from the nearest "local tour". Plus, those guys in the commercial look way too tough for me... arms crossed with a steely gaze... yikes!

Dear Competitive Golfer,

Interesting comments on Golf Channel AM Tour. I have been a member for four years. Yes it does cost more, but if you want a long-term competitive golf environment then you can't beat this tour for the amateur.

I play a ton of Regional Pro-Am and Amateur events in The Northwest and California. They are great one- time events. The GCAM Tour has well organized tours in 60 cities with over 9,000 players. Some of the newer ones have some growing pains. When we started in Seattle many years ago, we had some growing pains. The Golf Channel (The Company) has some professional folks who know how to run tournaments, particularly the regional 2 day events. I have played the Nationals the last three years in it has been a blast even though I have gotten my brains beaten to oblivion. I took a 9 on the 17th at Sawgrass last year (average senior did it in 12 strokes).

I have also won eight times. The money is in the optional skin games. After you play a couple events your GC scores is your handicap. This pretty much eliminates sandbagging. In four year years, I have only rarely seen a "newbie" win by blowout. The point is you play for the entire season not just a single event. Everyone's goal is to get to the nationals and win.

Bottom line. There is golf and there is competitive golf. If you want to get better play competitive golf. In the 40+ tournaments, I have always enjoyed the competition and the company.

If you want to sandbag or do not want to learn the rules this tour is not for you. Otherwise take a second look.

Hit em straight.
Golf Addict

Back