Am I Trying to Hard

airguard

Reaction score
Christchurch, New Zealand (USPS / APO Address)
Handicap
Like the title says. I look forward to playing every Saturday, I think about it all week. I have had some very good scores in the past but now I just cannot put anything together. I stop by the club every Thursday after work for about 90 minutes and hit some 8 irons to get some more confidence in my swing and then hit the chipping green and hit 100 balls.
Last week I only put about 10 into one put range (I have tried 8-pw). This Saturday I completely blew my round, most of it around the green. I don’t get upset while playing and keep up the banter with my foursome, I still manage to have fun and enjoy the day.
My wife asked me “if I was trying to hard”. I never thought about that.

Is it possible and if so what are the pre-round thoughts or actions I should try.
I know it’s all in my mind, how do I overcome it?

I dont know if youre trying too hard or not but I think there can be such thing as too much golf. Sometimes I get to playing each weekend, visiting the range during the week and I seem to play even worse. Thats when I know I need to cut back and take a break. I know this is a golf site and there cant be too much golf but I think at times it can be too much. Just my .02

Your wife has some good instincts in my opinion.
I occasionally fall into that "trying too hard" category.
When I do, I will go play 18 holes without a score card and hit shots with clubs that I normally wouldn't use, just to try different shots.
For example, hitting a 6 iron from 150 out which is a stock 8 iron for me. I will try to hit a punch shot with the 6 just to see if I can do it.

Try something like that, it may help you out.

It seems that after I haven't played golf in a week, I do my best. Maybe try just not think about golf for 2-3 days and see how you do after. (Yes, that means no THP :sad:)

Make sure you are practicing with a purpose. Banging balls can be great to help groove a swing, but when working on short game, practicing with a purpose is the number one thing people need to work on.

You may just be thinking about it too much. That is different from being very focused on what you are going. You should as often as possible be very focused on what you are doing. However you may just be thinking too hard about whether or not that next shot is going to be another failure at least in your eyes.

If you take some shots around the green as a part of your practice regimen (and it sounds like you do) I might start next time with easier green side shots and get some confidence and then gradually move out. I might do the same thing with the other shots that are a part of my practice regimen. Start with easy and work your way out to harder when you are feeling more confident about what you are doing.

Again I could be wrong but it sounds like it has gotten to you at this point and a boost in confidence is in order.

One last recommendation would be to visit your friendly neighborhood pro as he might also get you on the right path with associated boost in confidence.

Do you know what is causing your misses? Are you hitting behind the ball or blading it? Or, are you having a hard time getting the feel of the distance you need to cover?

I didn't know you can work "to" hard. Only "too" hard! LOL

But seriously, I don't think you are trying too hard, I think you are just dedicated to your game like the rest of us. But you need to find you weaknesses and work on those. For example, since most of your round was given away around the greens, work on short game. But don't just bang balls, work with a purpose. I've been having a tough time getting up and down lately, so I'm working on my chipping and putting.

Just in case you are trying too hard or taking it too seriously, do something to lighten up. I put a Yoda cover on my driver. That is a constant source of humor. What I also did was draw a smiley face on my glove so it faced me at address. It helped me focus on the positive and not on what may go wrong. Remember 90% of the game is half mental.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

I used that find that I would get too worked up when I didn't have a good shot and now my main focus is taking a deep breath before I swing and just try my best. It's been helping me out so far!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

Make sure you are practicing with a purpose. Banging balls can be great to help groove a swing, but when working on short game, practicing with a purpose is the number one thing people need to work on.

+2. One of the best things I ever did years ago was to seek help from our PGA professional. I allowed him to decide how I should practice. He layed out what he thought I should spend my time on the range. I remember him saying the same thing JB pointed, to always practice with purpose. I have the same range routine every time I go there. I start with the same iron and end with the same club with a goal set for each club I hit, and often each shot.

I will think about that next session.

start next time with easier green side shots and get some confidence and then gradually move out.
That sounds like a good starting point.

Do you know what is causing your misses? Are you hitting behind the ball or blading it? Or, are you having a hard time getting the feel of the distance you need to cover?
I hit the ball okay, but when I have the distance I miss right or left, when I have the direction I am either very long or very short. Crazy game!

I didn't know you can work "to" hard. Only "too" hard! LOL
Like my golf game, my spell checker has failed me as well.

+2. One of the best things I ever did years ago was to seek help from our PGA professional.
A private lesson is not a reality at this time. I have had lessons in the past and they work but don't seem to stay with me. I'm sure it's me and not the lessons or instructors.

Some great food for thought here, thanks everyone.

Went to the practice green at the course last night, I used all the above suggestions and it made a big difference. I chipped for about a half hour treating each one like my round depended on it. They were short chips about 15 feet off the green, from both the short side and the long side. I also hit 75 pitch shots with a target about 40 / 50 yards out. Again treating each one as a real shot in my round. Very pleased with the results there as well.
I felt I was practicing actual shots I would encounter on the course so the confidence level is higher than when I arrived. Really felt this was a very productive practice session. Met a new member on the practice tee and had a great chat too, an added bonus.
Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. Sometimes we can't see the noses on our own face!

Good to hear!

Way to go! Glad you are feeling better

I'm not an expert but I think get out there and have fun... everything else will eventual come.

I find that when I focus too much on scoring that I "try too hard" as you say. To counter this last year, I tried to get out for at least 9 holes a week with my brother or dad (or both) and have a few beers and forget about all of the scoring. It helps to lighten the mood of the round and lets you forget about bad shots because they really dont matter. My dad usually keeps score any ways and most of the time I find out that I scored pretty well.

Glad to hear that you're doing better now. Keep it up!

Back