Scorecards - Are they needed?

How do the players feel about them? do they mind? would they like to see a change?

Aside from tradition, it could be simply used as a second check for the players score. Mistakes are always made at some point or another. Scorecards could be used as a second check against their score either way. Discrepancies could be then caught and adjusted as necessary.

Of course washing their bottoms if over the top. Every time a player is penalized or DQ'd the masses want to protect the players. There's almost always outrage about unfairness. I saw your question as direct offshoot of the Villegas thread, where, if I recall, you had some pretty strong opinions and comments. That if there were no scorecards for the players to sign or fill out, problems like what Villegas and others have faced through the years would be taken out of the equation. I see the game heading more and more toward being played by robots. I want the players to be responsible for their own games on the golf course. And that includes getting to the course on time, knowing the rules, and keeping their own scores. Hell, maybe they should have to find their own errant shots.

Kevin

I see no reason to have the scorecards taken away. It's how you keep score. I understand the player can look at a leaderboard and know what his score is but how many times do your hear pros saying in there interview '' I wasn't looking at the scoreboard... Just wanted to go out there and shoot this number and not worry about anybody else". Tour pros are very focused, don't think they want to worry about someone else keeping score for them.

Of course washing their bottoms if over the top. Every time a player is penalized or DQ'd the masses want to protect the players. There's almost always outrage about unfairness. I saw your question as direct offshoot of the Villegas thread, where, if I recall, you had some pretty strong opinions and comments. That if there were no scorecards for the players to sign or fill out, problems like what Villegas and others have faced through the years would be taken out of the equation. I see the game heading more and more toward being played by robots. I want the players to be responsible for their own games on the golf course. And that includes getting to the course on time, knowing the rules, and keeping their own scores. Hell, maybe they should have to find their own errant shots.

Kevin

While there might be parallels (only due to the previous outcome), it is really a completely separate issue in my opinion.

i guess I just don't understand the harm in keeping your own score. I know when I show up to the tee in the tournaments I play in, they hand me someone else's card...not mine. I'm keeping track of my opponents score and marking my own in the appropriate box so we can check it in the end. whether or not my score is being tracked electronically with a walking scorer, in the clubhouse and online....it's still my responsibility to turn in a scorecard. the score that is on that screen isn't official until I verify and sign my official scorecard.

i don't see the harm in players keeping score on a scorecard. I can however, come up with a lot of negatives if that rule is changed. if it's not broken....why change it?

I dont disagree with that at all. However if the rules were to change in some manner, would that necessarily be a bad thing is really the question. Not so much do we want the rules to change but are scorecards really needed after all?

I already answered the question.......Yes we need to keep the cards. There is something about signing ones name to it that says "this card is correct....my signature says so"......."my signature is my WORD that the card is honest and correct".
To me it is like signing a loan at the bank, signing a check, signing a credit card receipt etc. This signature says I have the money and WILL pay you. Same with the score card. The signature says I'm honest, this score is correct.

Maybe there's no need for the players to be responsible for anything other than hitting the ball. The Tour could start by waking them up in the morning, washing their bottoms, getting them dressed, and getting them to the course on time. That makes sense because players have been DQ'd for showing up late. On the first tee they could have a guy count their clubs for them and make sure they are all conforming. He could mark their balls, too. Those things have been problems in the past, too. Then they could have a second caddy, a big huge guy, that could carry the players to their balls. The Tour could maybe have a cart that drives around with refreshments and rain suits in case the weather gets wet or chilly. Of course a rules official in each group should be a given. That goes hand in hand with the abolishment of the scorecard. Knowing the rules and having to do a lot of math shouldn't be part of the responsibilities of a professional golfer.

Ideally, the game could be reduced so all the players have to do is hit the shots. It would be so much more enjoyable for the fans, and no one's favorite would ever be penalized or disqualified.

Kevin

Ahh, the old slippery slope...

I know it's part of the heritage of golf but those days are gone and the scores are kept elsewhere. Why not bring back not being able to spot your ball on the green too.

Back