Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
For those of us who have trouble with maintaining lag I stumbled across this tip somewhere and I am finding it effective.

Place the ball down you are going to hit. Now place another ball eight to ten inches behind the one you are going to hit. Take your swing and hit the original ball without hitting the ball you placed behind it. If you can do that you are maintaining your lag.

If you hit the ball behind the one you are attempting to hit first, you are releasing the club too early and your lag is breaking down.

Or, if your not stuck up north you could use a tee if you can hit off grass.

Not a bad drill, but 8 - 10 inches is pretty far. Our product in the compression drill set-up position gives you 3 or 4 inches of clearance behind the ball but it lays flat. Don't turn an arcing swing plane, shaped like ")" into one that's shaped like a ">" ... Hope that makes sense..

Not a bad drill, but 8 - 10 inches is pretty far. Our product in the compression drill set-up position gives you 3 or 4 inches of clearance behind the ball but it lays flat. Don't turn an arcing swing plane, shaped like ")" into one that's shaped like a ">" ... Hope that makes sense..
I like the lay flat idea. The only reason I was going 8 to 10 inches was to be able to take the club head back so I could maintain the ")" if I understood you correctly. I may use something else. A piece of card board perhaps.

What's your product?

The product I represent is the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer. It's shown in this thread while Hawk writes his review.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...The-Fat-Free-Golf-Swing-Training-Aid-Unboxing

If you look at the first picture, we teach lag by setting the golf ball in the middle hole and teach golfers to look at a forward aiming point, which would be the coin. This results in a forward swing bottom. The green stripe aids in alignment. Trust the stripe and you know if you're pulling or pushing the shot.

Afterwards, rotate the product and place a golf ball in the green area on the arms of the product. If you apply the skills learned in the first drill then you won't hit the product. Your divot will be ahead of the ball indicating your swing had proper ball first contact.

In the end, after using both drills, your ball striking and accuracy should improve dramatically. Just start with the small swings and work your way up. - If you can't jog around the block, don't sign up for marathons.

Good luck!

Did you watch Hank and Rush on Golf Channel tonight? He was having Rush hit the ball without hitting a board he had placed several inches behind the ball. He also had a tee to the right of the ball and wanted him to concentrate on hitting that tee with the ball so he would quit hitting off the toe of his club.

Has the price gone down on the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer? I thought it was more like $40 rather than $35. Does the price include shipping?

The product I represent is the Fat Free Golf Swing Trainer. It's shown in this thread while Hawk writes his review.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...The-Fat-Free-Golf-Swing-Training-Aid-Unboxing

If you look at the first picture, we teach lag by setting the golf ball in the middle hole and teach golfers to look at a forward aiming point, which would be the coin. This results in a forward swing bottom. The green stripe aids in alignment. Trust the stripe and you know if you're pulling or pushing the shot.

Afterwards, rotate the product and place a golf ball in the green area on the arms of the product. If you apply the skills learned in the first drill then you won't hit the product. Your divot will be ahead of the ball indicating your swing had proper ball first contact.

In the end, after using both drills, your ball striking and accuracy should improve dramatically. Just start with the small swings and work your way up. - If you can't jog around the block, don't sign up for marathons.

Good luck!
Thanks for the explanation FFG. Interesting!

Did you watch Hank and Rush on Golf Channel tonight? He was having Rush hit the ball without hitting a board he had placed several inches behind the ball. He also had a tee to the right of the ball and wanted him to concentrate on hitting that tee with the ball so he would quit hitting off the toe of his club.
I didn't see tonight's episode, but will catch it on replay. I do know I need to keep working on sustaining lag. It's difficult though. The weather has been...bad...very bad. lol

I saw the episode this morning.. I wonder how much editing goes into that production. First, Hank Haney needs to stop being cheap and order a couple of hundred Fat Free Golf Swing Trainers.. :D ...

2. After that, Rush was aiming at a target down range and hitting the board. How do you stop that? By having Rush hit into a net. That way, he can concentrate on his ball striking and not the result of hitting the ball.

3. While Rush was hitting it into a net, how about stopping his full swing and telling him to hit chip and pitch shots without hitting the board. Taking smaller swings would've resulted in better success... and that leads to my fourth and final thing..

4. A little positive reinforcement. Last season I thought Ray had the - Woah is Me's - but why would I want an instructor that's constantly telling me - "That's bad. That's awful. All of those were wrong." ... Put Rush in a position to succeed, not in the sand trap with a little floating island green. You want to hear - "Good job and great shot." ... It's like leaving the driving range on a bad shot... Nobody does that.

I'm not a pro golf instructor, but for those that saw the show, do you disagree with me?

Don't disagree with you at all FFG. Sounds like a good idea to hit in the net. As for point 4 I actually like hearing the negative things. Makes me concentrate a little harder.

Yeah, I don't mind a coach describing what he sees as a problem, but Hank seems to stand behind his students with his head cocked at an angle. Then he only throws out negative stuff... How about, "I like your takeaway, but at the top concentrate on keeping your left wrist flat." - Instead of - "That was bad. That was awful. We got a lotta work to do." .... Whatever imperfection Rush has in his swing seems to be ingrained even more by repetitively hitting a range full of golf balls because I never hear him say that it feels strange. "If it didn't feel strange, then nothing has changed." & "Practice makes Permanent." - Both by Martin Hall.

Good thoughts but lets remember that this is heavily edited and we maybe don't see Hank telling him the good parts because it isn't good TV

Good thoughts but lets remember that this is heavily edited and we maybe don't see Hank telling him the good parts because it isn't good TV
Good point, I have seen many people involved in TV reality shows say that the edited version was not at all how they felt things were happening live. Editing is a tool for entertaining TV and has little to do with reality.

Good point about the editing of what at the end of the day is intended to be a TV show for entertainment purposes. The one part of the "coaching" that does bother me is when both Rush and Hank are standing there looking befuddled and frustrated. I would still like to see these coaches working with some regular folks, genuinely interested in improving their golf games. Too many of these "stars" seem to me to be interested in improving as long as it is on their terms. I am inclined to think they have signed onto the show for the PR it brings them much more than for some real heartfelt desire to improve.

Ive seen this video before but just came across it again. Just love Hogans swing and wish I could have it. Check out the lag.

Last edited:
Ive seen this video before but just came across it again. Just love Hogans swing and wish I could have it. Check out the lag.

[YOUTUBE]<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QL_6M_xZvq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/YOUTUBE]

Edit: Did this work? Can anyone see the video?

natha' homey!

It's working OEM!

Every week my lessons bring out a new "problem" in my swing and I usually am able to kick it pretty quick with some practice... but this is my current problem and it isn't going away.

I recently dropped my downswing back to (and even a little under) plane- but I can't avoid hitting a towel placed 8 inches behind the ball. Not that I am making contact with the ground there, but I brush the towel enough to disrupt it. Forget putting a golf ball 10 inches away and not hitting it. Every attempt I make to not hit the towel ends one of two ways.

A shank
An over-the-top steep move producing a nasty slice

I am honestly at my wits end with it! My old swing involved a lot of casting and I have resolved the swing flaw that causes that... but the muscle memory of the casting is still alive and well in my swing. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Hogan did have a beautiful swing!

Easy concept to understand. Difficult to execute. Something I really struggle with...that impulse to hit the ball, which destroys all that lag that I built up, instead of just letting it follow, as Hogan stated. It really is a matter of trust.

Another good video on this subject

Every week my lessons bring out a new "problem" in my swing and I usually am able to kick it pretty quick with some practice... but this is my current problem and it isn't going away.

I recently dropped my downswing back to (and even a little under) plane- but I can't avoid hitting a towel placed 8 inches behind the ball. Not that I am making contact with the ground there, but I brush the towel enough to disrupt it. Forget putting a golf ball 10 inches away and not hitting it. Every attempt I make to not hit the towel ends one of two ways.

A shank
An over-the-top steep move producing a nasty slice

I am honestly at my wits end with it! My old swing involved a lot of casting and I have resolved the swing flaw that causes that... but the muscle memory of the casting is still alive and well in my swing. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

You remember that swing aid that P4B reviewed? It helps with both things, I have it and I like it.

I remember seeing or reading a lag tip that involved using a wall as the impediment. In short, the idea was to get close enough to the wall that if you casted or released to early you would hit the wall. Starting with slow motion swings to build confidence.

I'll take a look for it, and post a link if I find it.

Edit: I found the tip I was looking for. This is from a guy that teaches right down the road from me. He has a ton of videos up on youtube. If you just want to see the drill move forward to about 3:45.

[YOUTUBE]ln1T2ZPyuuw[/YOUTUBE]

Really enjoyed that video. Thanks for posting.

I was wondering if you can swing without hitting the towel when you don' t have a golf ball present?
Also, are you just swinging the club or hitting golf balls to a target?

For example, I may grab a 5 iron to practice with and I'll take real swings without the ball present.
Then I'll put a ball down, but instead of thinking, - "I have a five iron, I must hit this ball to the 175 marker."
I'll change the objective to ball striking and think, - "I just want to lob this over the 100 yard marker."
This way I can focus on ball striking and execute the purpose of the drill.

Let the purity of your ball striking take care of the distance.

Back