Analysis Paralysis

SeeMoreGuy

They Make 'em. I Buy 'em.
Reaction score
I went into my local Ed Watts tore this evening to test hit one of my clubs that I rarely use (Nickent 3DX RC 8 iron). I picked these up a few months ago for a steal. In great condition as they had never been hit. I was talking to my slaes guy at E. Watts and started hitting some shots and was carrying each shot about 140 or so and most were right down the middle on the monitor at least. We were talking and I was asking about getting my turn better because it felt like I was turning properly, although I ended up with my weight on the left side with belt buckle facing forward.

What caught me by suprise was my guy's response. He said that since coming to him a couple years ago when I first started he has noticed a marked improvement in my ball striking which is a good thing.

He then went on to share with me the fact that I am doing what needs to be done and that is to hit the ball straighter and on target. He said that many people come in wanting to tweak this or that and it is because we watch and compare ourselve to the PGA players which we should not do. Now, I am fully aware of this and my mortgage is not tied to my golf swing (thank God) but he put into it perspective when he said to just enjoy the game and where I am with it right now and dont worry about trying to hit a 300 yard drive and enjoy a 230 yard one that is hit where I want it. Sometimes we get caught up in over-tweaking and loose site of how fun the game is supposed to be.

For some reason this resonated with me today and of course I want to get better, but I am going to enjoy where my game is right now and not over analyze my swing and have some fun with the game this year. Hopefully my practice sessions can be even more meaningful and enjoyable.

Just thought I would share.

Last edited:
Good thoughts SMG.

Totally true. If ur not having fun playing golf, whether it's on the range putting green or course, you should sell your clubs. Golf should not be a chore it should be fun

Very nice thoughts, SMG. I've always said to myself that my rounds tend to be more fun and productive if my brain didn't get in the way.

Towards the end of the end of Spring in school golf season, I started to do this, but when Summer came around, I had no schoolwork and did quite well in a couple tournaments. I'm not going to let golf become anywhere near a chore this spring.

Great post SMG! Very true!

Great tip SeeMore and one we should all focus on. The mechanical and technical stuff just makes you frustrated and stressed. Enjoy the friends, scenery, & freedom of being outdoors. There are many people cooped up in the house, hospital, etc. who are not able to have this wonderful freedom called golf.

Totally true. If ur not having fun playing golf, whether it's on the range putting green or course, you should sell your clubs. Golf should not be a chore it should be fun

Very well said...exactly the reason I quit bowling and refuse to join a golf league.

Gotta say that in spirit, I agree with him. On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with trying to get better. I mean, that's half the battle/love of the game. But there's also constructive attempts to improve as there are haphazard attempts. With clearly defined, modest, realistic goals, constructive changes can greatly impact one's game over time. Whereas tweaking here and there, experimenting, etc... can at times leave a player lost and swimming with swing thoughts.

If we'd all very honestly assess our ability in combination with a realistic view toward our future potential, I think we could all manage to better enjoy our game as it is in its present state.

Ok, that was my ridiculously wordy way of stating a mantra of mine, "lighten up, have fun, and play with what you got!"

Back