the boss

golf addict help me!!
Reaction score
Handicap
any tips for playing over water? 2 holes igot to play tomorrow are total tee to green water im bricking it already lol

As simple as it sounds, my approach is always to make sure I have enough club to carry the water by a decent amount. I would rather be on dry land behind the green than in the water short should I not hit the club perfectly.

As simple as it sounds, my approach is always to make sure I have enough club to carry the water by a decent amount. I would rather be on dry land behind the green than in the water short should I not hit the club perfectly.

+1 choose enough club to get there or a little long, then relax your grip and swing through, don't hit.

I tell myself its the exact same shot when you're on the range. You're flying it almost the entire way what does it matter what it flys OVER?
I don't know if you've ever seen the college basketball movie hoosiers. But there's a part when the young scrappy wide eyed underdog team walks into the championship arena for the first time and they're totally blown away by the size of it. Gene Hackman (Coach) Make them meaures the court and the basket to show them it's the same size as their court back home.

Lets say the shot is a normal 9 iron. You can hit 9 iron's all day long into a bucket at the range but can't on that tee box. I had this problem big time so I always take a deep breath and remind myself I've got this shot and it's just my stupid brain getting in the way.

I remember when I was learning the game and I had the toughest time with water shots. I couldn't make it over a tiny mudpuddle, lol. You have to forget about the water and just add a little extra club, but that can be hard to do.

For all that is good and holy, don't change balls.

For many years I would pull out an "old" ball on water holes- but that to me that is a signal of defeat. Before I hit the shot I had already conceded that I would not make it over. The mental game is everything (and I am not very good at it).

Don't think "don't hit the water". When performing an action, the brain doesn't understand the concept of don't, only do. So if you use a mantra of don't hit the water before you take the shot it's translated to the action part of your brain as "do hit the water" and then you probably do.

What water????

What water????

two years ago my buddy gave me the exact same response. 1 minute later I'm wading around in reclaimed water looking for my putter. From then on, I always drove the golf cart.

Don't think "don't hit the water". When performing an action, the brain doesn't understand the concept of don't, only do. So if you use a mantra of don't hit the water before you take the shot it's translated to the action part of your brain as "do hit the water" and then you probably do.

This explains why I can't keep from eating that second sandwich! But, I don't want to say yes to it either?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

two years ago my buddy gave me the exact same response. 1 minute later I'm wading around in reclaimed water looking for my putter. From then on, I always drove the golf cart.

Thats crazy, I would have had to hit that guy.

I used to suck with irons and these shots were the scariest thing in the world to me. Now, I don't mind par 3's over water, but when I'm in the fairway to hit a green over water, it still messes with my head a bit.

I try to focus on my target and forget about the water. Think about one of my favorite shot with that club in my hand.

Number two hole on one of our local courses here is a super short par four, with a slight dog leg. This thing is only like 240 yards, but there's OB behind the tiny green that slopes heavily towards a pond gaurding the front, lol. I constantly spin back down the hill or simply hang it in the air, it's an easy hole to birdie or just as easy to bogey.

I think the real trick is having a lot of faith in the distance you know that club will go and confidence in ball striking.

its only a ball and as long as you have a few more in your bag you'll be okay
trust your distance and trust your shots
when youre on the fw and hitting onto the green you dont think about the grass thats between the shot
and whatever you do dont try to hit the ball any harder than normal

For many years I would pull out an "old" ball on water holes- but that to me that is a signal of defeat. Before I hit the shot I had already conceded that I would not make it over. The mental game is everything (and I am not very good at it).
Exactly. Not a good thought to put into your head on a water hole.

didnt get a single ball wet!!! the hole in question i knocked it to within 10ft and then triple putted for a 4!!!!!!

I don't know about not changing balls. The Pro where I play forced me to use a NEW ball when I was hitting over water to give me that confidence boost that I was going to make the shot

I don't know about not changing balls. The Pro where I play forced me to use a NEW ball when I was hitting over water to give me that confidence boost that I was going to make the shot

Thats a little different than switching to an old ball because you are "going to loose it". My problem was that I resigned to defeat before I even took the swing. It sounds like your coach was making a point to do the exact opposite that I was. Use the new ball because its NOT going in the drink.

I try to focus on my target and forget about the water. Think about one of my favorite shot with that club in my hand.

I played with a guy who spent a couple of seasons on the Eurpean Tour. On the tee of one particular hole, he asked me what I saw from the box. "Trap short right, another 250 or so yards right, water left."

"In all of that," he said, "where's the fairway?"

He went on to tell me that, in his opinion, the only time I should acknowledge trouble is when deciding which side of the tee box to tee it up. He said if your mind focuses on trouble, your swing will find it. Focus on my target and only my target.

Ever since, I can honestly say that I barely ever see trouble. I see direction and bail-out areas, sure. But with regard to fearing trouble, there's none.

I played with a guy who spent a couple of seasons on the Eurpean Tour. On the tee of one particular hole, he asked me what I saw from the box. "Trap short right, another 250 or so yards right, water left."

"In all of that," he said, "where's the fairway?"

He went on to tell me that, in his opinion, the only time I should acknowledge trouble is when deciding which side of the tee box to tee it up. He said if your mind focuses on trouble, your swing will find it. Focus on my target and only my target.

Ever since, I can honestly say that I barely ever see trouble. I see direction and bail-out areas, sure. But with regard to fearing trouble, there's none.

that is great advice

Water?? What water?? I don't see no stinking water !

drink lots of it... well unless the course doesnt have good bathrooms

Back