Replacing an iron with a hybrid, the degrees of loft never seem to match up.

crazygolfnut

Let's have fun out there!
Reaction score
Handicap
When replacing an iron with a hybrid, the degrees of loft never seem to match up. With this example, if a person replaces the 4 iron with a hybrid, should they look at the closest loft or the number stamped on the hybrid? It looks like the 5 hybrid would be closer to the 4 iron.

710 AP1 iron specs vs. 910 Hybrid specs

3 iron is 20° - 3 hybrid is 19°
4 iron is 23° - 4 hybrid is 21°
5 iron is 26° - 5 hybrid is 24°

Thank you for your input.

For it depends on the brand, but in reality, I choose it based on numbers. I have found with hybrids that they launch higher than their iron counterparts in most cases. I have also found that I hit them more consistent in most cases, so because of that I get more distance (sweet spot vs missing).

Have you hit the 910H and determined what gap it could fill for you?

For it depends on the brand, but in reality, I choose it based on numbers. I have found with hybrids that they launch higher than their iron counterparts in most cases. I have also found that I hit them more consistent in most cases, so because of that I get more distance (sweet spot vs missing).

Have you hit the 910H and determined what gap it could fill for you?

I have not hit the 910H but hope to in the near future. I was trying to do a little home work beforehand.

I have not hit the 910H but hope to in the near future. I was trying to do a little home work beforehand.

Always best to be educated in any process.

When replacing an iron with a hybrid, the degrees of loft never seem to match up. With this example, if a person replaces the 4 iron with a hybrid, should they look at the closest loft or the number stamped on the hybrid? It looks like the 5 hybrid would be closer to the 4 iron.

I took the specs numbers off a golf store website. After further review, it looks like the 910H only has the degree stamped on them and not an "iron equal" number.

So, would a 23 degree 4 iron be replaced by a 24 degree hybrid or a 21 degree?

It's almost impossible to tell on paper. With the W/S Fybrid line I was able to go seamlessly from hybrid to iron. I was also playing W/S irons at the time. There is really no way to tell until you get them out there. Longer shafts, higher flight, ease of use can all make it different.

In my case I go by the degree marking instead of the hybrid number. The 3h in my set is marked 22* which is very weak compared to most other companies 3h, I use the 23* to replace my 4i which is 23*. The higher launch gives me very similar distance to the iron.

This is where gap fitting in your set comes into play. A 19* fairway will travel farther than a 19* hybrid and in many cases a 19* iron. Trajectory and the distance3 you are looking for need to be considered always. You do not want to have a huge yardage gap between clubs. Get fit by someone with a good launch monitor that does this and make your determination from there.

I never really thought about the # on the hybrid vs the iron #. I replaced my 3 & 4 iron with a 3 & 4 hybrid years ago, not giving any thought to the lofts of either the irons or the hybrids. There is a wide gap (20 yards +/-) between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid, but it hasn't really been an issue. When I get my new irons and Mashie I think I'll go and either hybrid shop or get mine fitted. Thanks for the thread.

I've also noticed that Hybrid's shafts tend to be longer as well cmopared to their iron counter part. I had to learn that the hard way, my Hybrid that replaces my 3 iron actually is a "4 iron" = Hybrid. Same loft as my 4 iron actually, i just hit it the distance I need it to cover.

For me personally I replaced my 21* 3i with a 22* 4h and still carry my 24* 4i and the gaps work out fine. The one degree weaker hy still plays as long or a little better than my old 3i but the better forgiveness and versatility is a much greater asset.

I replaced my 3-5 irons with hybrids and my distances increased but for me that was a good thing, until I discovered I had a 20 yard gap between my 6 iron and 5 hybrid. I put my 5 iron back in to fill the gap and now carry a 25* 5 hybrid and 26* 5 iron.

Crazy I would look at the loft of the hybrids and not what number they are because the lofts can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. What I commonly find in most of my customers is that they hit a hybrid 10-15 more yards than an iron of similar loft. I would decide what the longest iron you hit consistently is and then go from there.

Personally I play a 25 degree five iron, then a 22 degree and 19 degree hybrids. I have no gapping problems with this set up.

The best way to find out is to go to a golf store that has a launch monitor and hit several hybrids against your 4 iron and see which one is correct for you. Anything else is just a guess since one OEM hybrid may not be the same as another.

Back