Buying new suv- reviews opinion?

I liked the jeep, didnt love it - the radio drove me nuts - all touch screen and only showed 4 presets - it was not well designed at all - and i cant buy a car where something just doesnt make sense.

I hear that STR8 is due 2012 - is it a supercharged hemi?

I agree, the radio in my brother's jeep wasn't as easy for me to use as a normal button/knob set up... but that being said, I think it was the old one, and the new infotainment system in all new Mopars is getting quite a lot of hype from magazines so there must be more to it.

The SRT8 will most likely have the naturally aspirated 6.4L hemi in it that the new SRT8 Challenger has, and the Charger/300C will be getting next year as well. 475hp, 475lb/ft of torque.

The Jeep is also the only North American car to be in the running for World Car of the Year.

Please don't buy the lexus, they're too boring... you'll have to stop your delicious cooking and go to cooking boiled goose and steamed cabbage :sleepy:

might also want to try the Nissan Murano.. been driving a family member's for the last few weeks through all of the snow and ice here in central Ohio and it gets through it like a champ.. gas mileage right around 25 and phenomenal technology too.

Has anybody tried the Nissan Rogue? I've got a 2007 Altima 3.5SE and love it but as we start to look at buying house and starting a family, the added utility of an SUV or CUV would be nice. Plus putting premium gas in it doesn't help. Don't need anything huge, something in the size of a Rogue, RAV4, Pilot, something along those lines. Any opinions on the "smaller" SUVs?

I agree, the radio in my brother's jeep wasn't as easy for me to use as a normal button/knob set up... but that being said, I think it was the old one, and the new infotainment system in all new Mopars is getting quite a lot of hype from magazines so there must be more to it.

The SRT8 will most likely have the naturally aspirated 6.4L hemi in it that the new SRT8 Challenger has, and the Charger/300C will be getting next year as well. 475hp, 475lb/ft of torque.

The Jeep is also the only North American car to be in the running for World Car of the Year.

Please don't buy the lexus, they're too boring... you'll have to stop your delicious cooking and go to cooking boiled goose and steamed cabbage :sleepy:

so far the lexus fit the bill- ride comfort - noise - power - gas mileage - and it looks good. still have a few more to look at -

i spent an hour in the jeep - it rides nice - both engines are nice - the hemi is sick on acceleration - but i could see the MPG just draining out of it. As for the nav/radio - it was god awful - how anyone could possibly design/test something like that and put it into production is beyond me. Im a tech geek - i need things to work - and it doesnt - you shouldnt have to look at screens - tab through mutliple pages to get to a tuner page - then only see 4 channels- find another button to switch to more channels - and then find the main menu if i want to manually scan/seek or tune... all touchscreen? not one tuner knob. It drove me bat crazy in 15 minutes. I cant buy something like that.

Take your clubs with ya to make sure they fit if you go for anyone of the smaller sized SUV's, for example clubs won't fit sideways on the back of the Audi Q5 (you have to fold down the seat even for one bag) they boxed out the wheel wells all the way back for some reason so you don't have that little extra width behind the wheel wells if you know what i mean, yet i was able to get my bag sideways in the back of my Infiniti FX which from the outside you wouldn't think but they left that space behind the rear wheels open and they fit... manufacturers really have to start taking golf bags into account

You mentioned the GMC Acadia but nobody mentioned the Buick Enclave. Yes they're built on the same platform but drive both of them and you will know which one was made for luxury and which one is less expensive for a reason. The 3rd row of seats is great to have as an option but without them, you have a ton of room.

I Love the reliability of Buick vehicles. I have owned only Buicks for the last 15 years. My wife has the Rendezvous and I have the Rainier which were merged to create the Enclave. I test drove the Enclave and really liked it. A very comfortable ride with very good handling and response from the V6.

I Love the reliability of Buick vehicles. I have owned only Buicks for the last 15 years. My wife has the Rendezvous and I have the Rainier which were merged to create the Enclave. I test drove the Enclave and really liked it. A very comfortable ride with very good handling and response from the V6.

havent tried an enclave yet - liked the looks of the acadia better- but i should. it drove nice - had good power for the v6. radio/nav wasnt as nice as others but not terrible either.

Ah yeah that's too bad about the infotainment system. I know it's going to prevent my dad from replacing our '08 Charger with a new one. He's really not tech savvy at all so he'd just drive it without the radio on.

9-Iron, I know Rogues are popular around town, but i wouldn't go near one just because it has a CVT. I know Nissan has had them for awhile, but I just want my transmissions to have gears instead of what's essentially a big elastic band.

I'll admit that I skimmed but my recommendation is the MDX

Last I checked Acura had the 2nd best resale value and #1 was Honda

I have had an Acura for the last 3 years and I have loved it, the cars are great, they have all the technology you'll need and they are extremely reliable.

Ah yeah that's too bad about the infotainment system. I know it's going to prevent my dad from replacing our '08 Charger with a new one. He's really not tech savvy at all so he'd just drive it without the radio on.

9-Iron, I know Rogues are popular around town, but i wouldn't go near one just because it has a CVT. I know Nissan has had them for awhile, but I just want my transmissions to have gears instead of what's essentially a big elastic band.

Once you go CVT you never go back. Nissan makes the best CVT out there, that's why they're in the whole Nissan car/CUV line-up. My car has the CVT and I quite like it.

I bought my wife the Enclave CLX2, fully loaded about a year ago. So far it's been a great vehicle, the fit, finish, and ride is comparable to the GX470 she came out of. Now would I give up my '11 E550 to drive it, no, but its good for wifey.

Once you go CVT you never go back. Nissan makes the best CVT out there, that's why they're in the whole Nissan car/CUV line-up. My car has the CVT and I quite like it.

I don't know much about the Nissan's, but Subaru's CVT ain't bad either.

Buying the Lexus would pretty much qualify as one of the best life decisions you've ever made, and i don't even know you. Trust me.

We'll be looking for a "small" SUV soon - trading in the Odyssey. I've been hooked on Honda for a "long" time - reliability is hard to beat. If I were in the market for a mid or full size SUV, the Pilot would be my #1 choice.

That being said, after reading CR and Motor Trend reviews I think the CRV will be our final choice. We previously owned a CRV and gave it to our daughter 4 years ago. It now has 140K+ miles on it and still looks and drives GREAT. However before any final decision, I do want to test the Nissan XTerra and the Toyota Venza (more of a station wagon).

Good luck in your search.

We'll be looking for a "small" SUV soon - trading in the Odyssey. I've been hooked on Honda for a "long" time - reliability is hard to beat. If I were in the market for a mid or full size SUV, the Pilot would be my #1 choice.

That being said, after reading CR and Motor Trend reviews I think the CRV will be our final choice. We previously owned a CRV and gave it to our daughter 4 years ago. It now has 140K+ miles on it and still looks and drives GREAT. However before any final decision, I do want to test the Nissan XTerra and the Toyota Venza (more of a station wagon).

Good luck in your search.

If it fits the bill nicely, then go for it. Just remember that the AWD system in a CR-V is VERY front biased and is not as advanced as a subaru or a jeep. In tests on youtube, the CRV was very slow to react in power transfer. So coming from a FWD minivan to a AWD CR-V, I would say drive it like it was still your minivan, don't go crazy like some people do when they think they now have power to all 4 wheels.

Buying the Lexus would pretty much qualify as one of the best life decisions you've ever made, and i don't even know you. Trust me.

it was a sweet ride - service and oil changes are waived for 50k miles, service dept here is amazing - whole sep building - you drive up - they give you a loaner - and youre off.

That almost sold me there... i just have to decide if i want a high car payment for 3 years.. it isnt cheap hehe

Ratfink: my subaru had the best AWD i ever drove. And i had an audi before that. I always thought subaru and audi had the best. Now they say that acura mdx AWD system is up there - i hadnt heard of jeeps- is that something new or have they always had a pretty good one? are you in the automobile business? or just an enthusiast? thanks for all your help - knowledge is great!

Ratfink: my subaru had the best AWD i ever drove. And i had an audi before that. I always thought subaru and audi had the best. Now they say that acura mdx AWD system is up there - i hadnt heard of jeeps- is that something new or have they always had a pretty good one? are you in the automobile business? or just an enthusiast? thanks for all your help - knowledge is great!

Subarus and Audis do make some the best AWD systems for 'everyday' consumers without a doubt! If I had the coin, I'd have a WRX parked out front... but the $5500/year insurance would bankrupt me before too long.
Jeeps have Quadra-Drive 2.. which is essentially a full time AWD system with the ability to channel 100% of the power to one wheel if it's the only one with grip. It's amazingly capable and can really show people what's what.
http://www.jeep.com/en/2011/grand_cherokee/capability/off_road_performance/
It's really interesting stuff.
My one friend with a Hemi Grand Cherokee was out the other night in our foot of fresh snow and ice and other crap, and he claims that he floored it in a parking lot with the wheel on full lock to try and get it to skid and it just would not let go. Only grip and control.

I'm just an enthusiast/son of a mechanic/someone with too much time on his hands haha.
I am [if you haven't noticed] though a huge proponent of North American vehicles.
The only brands out of North America [not including exotics] that I would recommend are: Audi, and Subaru just based on real world experience, and what I've read/seen in media.

I loved evrything about the jeep but i spend too much time in traffic to have a radio that doesn't work, maybe I'll see if the dealership will put in an aftermarket stereo lol. That hemi was nasty it just flew! But I'd go with the v6 for mpg reasons as well as service. I hear those hemi's require 3k oil changes and 15/30k services? U hear anything about that, they said the v6 was 5k oil and 25,50k service intervals.

my subaru had the best AWD i ever drove. And i had an audi before that. I always thought subaru and audi had the best. Now they say that acura mdx AWD system is up there - i hadnt heard of jeeps- is that something new or have they always had a pretty good one? are you in the automobile business? or just an enthusiast? thanks for all your help - knowledge is great!

Subarus and Audis do make some the best AWD systems for 'everyday' consumers without a doubt! If I had the coin, I'd have a WRX parked out front... but the $5500/year insurance would bankrupt me before too long.

I'd never owned a Subaru before, but this 2010 Outback gave me no trouble in these big snows. If we had had the need for a SUV rather than a crossover, we would have gotten the Tribeca. As I mentioned before, the Forester seats were lacking. Specifically, the front passenger seat (Jacqui didn't like the height or comfort).

I loved evrything about the jeep but i spend too much time in traffic to have a radio that doesn't work, maybe I'll see if the dealership will put in an aftermarket stereo lol. That hemi was nasty it just flew! But I'd go with the v6 for mpg reasons as well as service. I hear those hemi's require 3k oil changes and 15/30k services? U hear anything about that, they said the v6 was 5k oil and 25,50k service intervals.

I'm afraid I dont' know anything about those.
Generally, we give our cars oil changes every 4-5k kilometres. In the end, regular oil changes are the cheapest form of insurance towards not having a destroyed engine.
As for teh rest of those 'scheduled' repairs, depending on your driving style, we just replace when necessary.

Ok little closer to the decision. If they had one loaded with the options i wanted i would have bought it... I finally took TC's advice and hewaded to the local BMW dealer. some research last night had me in the x3 idrive35i.

Turbo 3.0 inline 6 - with all the packages - Cold weather, convenience, sport, dynamic handling, tech, premium, the HUD display and upgraded AUdio. Althought the standard radio sounded awesome on the test drive - id rather pay up front now and upgrade it.

So long day today - met with an insurance adjustor for two hours about bundling, auto/home/life insurances for me and the live-in G/F. Wow i was ready to get behind some vehicles and burn rubber after that. Talk about monotony. I have way too much ADHD in my system to sit still for that long.

So finished up that - went to the VW dealership and test drove a diesel TOURAG - nice - great controls - nav touchscreen was intuitive - but felt awkward, underpowered - suspension was pretty lame.

Went down the road to the volvo dealership - test drove a t-6 XC60 - nice for what it was - just felt like it was stripped down - not alot of controls - but it had everything the rest did. weird. tons of turbo power - good handling - but didnt feel right.

Next was another refresher test drive in the audi q5 - i remember why i loved this car - great ride - handling- power - and just felt like everything was laid out right.

On to the BMW - first SUV that didnt look right in black on black.. I have a hard time buying anything not black- but this feels like it has to be silver for some reason. Test drove a black on black - with the turbo inline 6- and sport/cold/convenience packages. They didnt have one loaded for me to look at. Got out to the freeway and punched it - This thing flat out accelerates. I bet it was faster than even the audi. Handled awesome - controls felt great - that do it all wheel - they call the idrive was awesome. WOW! great recommendation TC. I wish i liked the american built cars more - but there is something about german engineering. They are going to special order me one- i am taking the G/f bcak saturday for one last look and i think this is going to be it.

Truly great car - with service paid in full up to 50k 4years - and oil changes every 15k. I really like the sound of this!!

Still going to try the Ford Edge and Explorer tomorrow, under the advice of a THP'er who is a sales mgr - if i have the time before work. ( i skipped golf practice today- so need to hit the practice bay too).. The list of tech features on these is amazing - well see.

Well - off to slave in the kitchen for a few- big dinner for V-DAY.
Oysters on the half shell- with a couple sauces.
then for the main course:
Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass - over a sweet corn/fava bean succotash - with some sauteed spinach and a vanilla/saffron beurre blanc. Hope i dont burn it thinking about the match play even/demo day/ BMW!! lol

If i have time for dessert: Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes with a Creme Anglaise.

We'll See!

CG did you ever check out the new Dodge Durango? If you did Im just curious what you thought of it?

No matter what you buy do not follow their service intervals for their "free" maintenance. You go 5k on a full synthetic oil change and 3k otherwise. This 10k and 15k intervals they are trying to push is ridiculous.

Speaking from experience here Chrysler has the highest cost of ownership, they are ridiculously expensive to repair and require frequent repair. I will admit I am a Toyota homer, but in my professional opinion I would stay as far away from any Chrysler product as possible. I have done this for 13 years unfortunately.

I'm sure 10 people could come on here and tell you that their 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee has been the best vehicle they have ever owned. But in my experience they are extremely expensive as a manufacturer to maintain.

Ok little closer to the decision. If they had one loaded with the options i wanted i would have bought it... I finally took TC's advice and hewaded to the local BMW dealer. some research last night had me in the x3 idrive35i.

Turbo 3.0 inline 6 - with all the packages - Cold weather, convenience, sport, dynamic handling, tech, premium, the HUD display and upgraded AUdio. Althought the standard radio sounded awesome on the test drive - id rather pay up front now and upgrade it.

So long day today - met with an insurance adjustor for two hours about bundling, auto/home/life insurances for me and the live-in G/F. Wow i was ready to get behind some vehicles and burn rubber after that. Talk about monotony. I have way too much ADHD in my system to sit still for that long.

So finished up that - went to the VW dealership and test drove a diesel TOURAG - nice - great controls - nav touchscreen was intuitive - but felt awkward, underpowered - suspension was pretty lame.

Went down the road to the volvo dealership - test drove a t-6 XC60 - nice for what it was - just felt like it was stripped down - not alot of controls - but it had everything the rest did. weird. tons of turbo power - good handling - but didnt feel right.

Next was another refresher test drive in the audi q5 - i remember why i loved this car - great ride - handling- power - and just felt like everything was laid out right.

On to the BMW - first SUV that didnt look right in black on black.. I have a hard time buying anything not black- but this feels like it has to be silver for some reason. Test drove a black on black - with the turbo inline 6- and sport/cold/convenience packages. They didnt have one loaded for me to look at. Got out to the freeway and punched it - This thing flat out accelerates. I bet it was faster than even the audi. Handled awesome - controls felt great - that do it all wheel - they call the idrive was awesome. WOW! great recommendation TC. I wish i liked the american built cars more - but there is something about german engineering. They are going to special order me one- i am taking the G/f bcak saturday for one last look and i think this is going to be it.

Truly great car - with service paid in full up to 50k 4years - and oil changes every 15k. I really like the sound of this!!

Still going to try the Ford Edge and Explorer tomorrow, under the advice of a THP'er who is a sales mgr - if i have the time before work. ( i skipped golf practice today- so need to hit the practice bay too).. The list of tech features on these is amazing - well see.

Well - off to slave in the kitchen for a few- big dinner for V-DAY.
Oysters on the half shell- with a couple sauces.
then for the main course:
Pan Seared Chilean Sea Bass - over a sweet corn/fava bean succotash - with some sauteed spinach and a vanilla/saffron beurre blanc. Hope i dont burn it thinking about the match play even/demo day/ BMW!! lol

If i have time for dessert: Molten Chocolate Lava Cakes with a Creme Anglaise.

We'll See!

Good luck with the purchase and remember, Germans cars are supposed to be Silver on Black, at least every BMW and Mercedes I've owned has been, it just fits the them for some reason.

Back