TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

Ya those spin numbers are way to high, could put the FCT to lower or try the ASP to open first, also more weight in the toe and heel brings the spin down. This is why shaft is so important, more so than the head.

I agree that shaft choice has become extremely important if for no other reason than that there are so many choices now. I think the only thing that worried me is I see instances where folks are trying to take a head that is just wrong for that player to begin with and mate it to a shaft hoping to land somewhere right. I still think you want to start with a head that is optimal or close to optimal for you and then begin to experiment with shafts. Adjustment in drivers is a big advantage since you can make some changes and then begin to look at shafts. In fact all this adjustment makes it easier for a driver to accommodate a wide assortment of players. However I still think that trying to "tame" a head that is just plain wrong for a player with a shaft can get prohibitively expensive and time consuming unless you have an unlimited golf budget and tons of time.

I agree if the head is totally wrong then a shaft isnt going to help like it should, i think heads now are so close together in performance its alot easier to just pair the correct shaft and still get great results.

So I just took the R11 out for a spin at Dick's. Felt pretty good. The stats came and gone quickly but this is about what I averaged. I am not a stat reader so please let me know what you think of these -

I hit a fade most of the time and my current driver is a callaway stiff with 10 degree. The R11 the guy gave me was a 9 degree and everything was on neutral with stiff shaft. I hit about 15 balls and a majority went straight to the left but would of probably stayed on the fairway. My 1st 2 shots went about 220 but I would attribute that to not picking up a club since Sept. The next all went in the 250-270 range. My average launch angle was about 14 degrees and my backspin was in the 4,000-4,500 range. My swing speed was in the 92-96mph range. The readings came and gone in 5 seconds so I couldn't tell what my other #'s were. For you technologists out there how would you analyze these results?

I would worry less about the lefts and more about why you are hitting the stiff version at the 92-96 SS and still seeing high spin and high launch. This could be fixed rather easily and I would not do a thing until hitting it on an outdoor range personally.

Perhaps an aftermarket shaft could bring down those numbers.

Im sorry sox, but there is proof in the pudding on why using different shafts could help you out. Your one shaft away from getting those backspin numbers down to were they should be, instead of punishing yourself by using a shaft that launches the ball to high for you. Now a quick fix, since its with the R11, is to adjust the settings to get it down. Try that out and see if you see any better results.

I do want to add, im in no way making fun of you or trying to be a jerk. It just shows how much shafts are important in whether you hit the ball high, low, left, right, hitting the center of the face, etc..

Not sure an aftermarket shaft has to be done to fix this. An option for sure, and I believe 1000% in fitting, but the numbers are not that far off in my opinion.

Although tthe spin may be too high I guess I do not see why a 14* launch angle is too high. But I am with you Bigs, I am not inclined ot really say either.

Ya those spin numbers are way to high, could put the FCT to lower or try the ASP to open first, also more weight in the toe and heel brings the spin down. This is why shaft is so important, more so than the head.

Im not so sure they are WAY too high. High yes, but I think pretty easily fixable. I think the pull to the left is indicative of a shaft not fitting and flexing to make squared impact.

Hello everyone, I was trying to research the R11 when i came across THP, Love what you guys/gals do here so i just had to join.
Just wanted to add my experience and ask your opinion TM R9 super vs R11.
I currently use R7 limited 10.5 stiff shaft and really like it, but after i tried the R9 super tri (from my golf bud)on the course and gained an easy 15-20 yards (Sky Caddie confirmed) sneaky long club. I was off to buy a new driver i only test drove the R9 Super & R11 both 10.5 stiff no adjustments at Dicks Sporting Goods. Even though my golf swing has been jacked up for a while i know one of these two will get me some added yardage over my R7 limited.
R9 supertri avg- 103 swing / 14.5 flight / 2700 spin / 234 carry / 252 total
R11 avg- 105 swing / 15.5 flight / 2600 spin / 227 carry / 247 total
I really want to buy the new R11 love the white and idea of the extra AST function plus the club cover but for me the R9 super out performed the R11 just a little, The shape sound and feel are very similiar to me so that part doesn't matter..
Even though the R11 was taped so i couldnt see the contrast of the black face i did like the white crown so right now i am leaning towards the R11.
Could this be that the new Blur shaft may not be a good fit for me? I know nothing about golf shafts but from what i read here they are very important.

Hello everyone, I was trying to research the R11 when i came across THP, Love what you guys/gals do here so i just had to join.
Just wanted to add my experience and ask your opinion TM R9 super vs R11.
I currently use R7 limited 10.5 stiff shaft and really like it, but after i tried the R9 super tri (from my golf bud)on the course and gained an easy 15-20 yards (Sky Caddie confirmed) sneaky long club. I was off to buy a new driver i only test drove the R9 Super & R11 both 10.5 stiff no adjustments at Dicks Sporting Goods. Even though my golf swing has been jacked up for a while i know one of these two will get me some added yardage over my R7 limited.
R9 supertri avg- 103 swing / 14.5 flight / 2700 spin / 234 carry / 252 total
R11 avg- 105 swing / 15.5 flight / 2600 spin / 227 carry / 247 total
I really want to buy the new R11 love the white and idea of the extra AST function plus the club cover but for me the R9 super out performed the R11 just a little, The shape sound and feel are very similiar to me so that part doesn't matter..
Even though the R11 was taped so i couldnt see the contrast of the black face i did like the white crown so right now i am leaning towards the R11.
Could this be that the new Blur shaft may not be a good fit for me? I know nothing about golf shafts but from what i read here they are very important.

I bet once you adjust either one to your swing you will pick up some more distance as well, after tuning the R11 some are seeing almost 30yards increase in distance compared to when everything was in neutral. I played the supertri before the R11 and loved it with the RIP shaft, I think you would be happy with either. If possible hit them both with different shafts to see what fits you best and gives you the best numbers and performance

You know its getting around to golf time when you start seeing R11 commercials during NHL games.

Every black driver has a white reflection on the tail end of the head, is that trying to foreshadow "here comes the white head" or "the next big thing"?

Played my second round with my R11 today. I think I am in love with this club. Still waiting on the miya, but the blur is becoming more and more likeable. I have so much confidence with this driver. Even the guys I normally play with are saying they can't believe how well I have been driving the ball. I still haven't hit it using a launch monitor to get exact spin numbers, but I have been really impressed with what I am seeing on the course. The ball isn't ballooning and I am getting a nice mid-high trajectory shot that is holding it's line well. Some shots are fading slightly, but it's very manageable. I set up to hit a few draws today and they worked just fine. I hit the Adams Speedline F10 last season and am getting more carry with the R11. The R11 is definitely staying in the bag. Ready for the fw woods to come out now.

Played my second round with my R11 today. I think I am in love with this club. Still waiting on the miya, but the blur is becoming more and more likeable. I have so much confidence with this driver. Even the guys I normally play with are saying they can't believe how well I have been driving the ball. I still haven't hit it using a launch monitor to get exact spin numbers, but I have been really impressed with what I am seeing on the course. The ball isn't ballooning and I am getting a nice mid-high trajectory shot that is holding it's line well. Some shots are fading slightly, but it's very manageable. I set up to hit a few draws today and they worked just fine. I hit the Adams Speedline F10 last season and am getting more carry with the R11. The R11 is definitely staying in the bag. Ready for the fw woods to come out now.

Nice little review, I just got done looking at the Miyazaki website and im thinking about trying out the 39 or 43, let us know how you like it.

Awesome DD! So good to hear that you've found a club you can have all the confidence in the world with

Tapatalk, it's not for everyone

Nice little review, I just got done looking at the Miyazaki website and im thinking about trying out the 39 or 43, let us know how you like it.

Thanks. Will do, the miya's should be coming in anytime now to the local golf shop. Will def give a review once I have the 43 on the R11.

Awesome DD! So good to hear that you've found a club you can have all the confidence in the world with

Thanks. Confidence goes a long ways on the golf course. Hopefully it's still there tomorrow when I have some matches with a few buddies.

10yard draw,
What differences did you notice between the supertri and the R11?

I think I prefer the SuperTri to the R11 right now. But lets not forget they are VERY different drivers. The R11 is evolving straight from the original R9. The SuperTri is a higher spin driver head that is 460cc.

10yard draw,
What differences did you notice between the supertri and the R11?

i havent taken the R11 on the course yet since there is still snow on the ground but have hit it into a net and on a monitor and i like the sound and feel of the R11 over the ST, when i hit the R11 on the monitor against the ST it was pretty close distance wise but i was setup in all neutral and it wasnt setup how i like it, still the R11 was longer on average by 5-6 yards over the ST, im gonna go back when i have some more time and get it all setup to my swing and im expecting some pretty good distance gains. The one problem i had with the ST last year was it spinning way to much, the RIP Alpha took care of that and it was the best driver i have ever hit until i hit the R11 of course lol

I saw the R11 for the first time today, cool looking club, but then finish looks kind of cheap. The White also looks like it will be perpetually dirty - all the ones at golftown had finger prints on them.

I saw the R11 for the first time today, cool looking club, but then finish looks kind of cheap. The White also looks like it will be perpetually dirty - all the ones at golftown had finger prints on them.

ya it does show dirt pretty easy but its white so its gonna lol, its very easy to clean though, i put dirty fingerprints all over mine just so i could see how easy or hard it would be to clean and it turned out to be very very easy to get them off. I just have a white microfiber towel and wet the corner and they wipe right off.

Seems the SuperTri is a proven product tons of great reviews the R11 has some big shoes to fill so i guess time will tell.
Not sure if Dicks Sports has optional shafts, I am going to ask. Maybe just try them both again and try not to be bias for that good looking R11 i gotta remember looks arent everything.

Finger prints on the matte finish? I find finger prints far more noticeable on a darker shiny finish.

Finger prints on the matte finish? I find finger prints far more noticeable on a darker shiny finish.

They were showing as black smudges all over the tops of the R11's and the SF2.0s

ya i figured they wouldnt show up either lol, with the matte white they show up as dark smudges

They were showing as black smudges all over the tops of the R11's and the SF2.0s

lol we were typing that at the same time, yours wasnt there when i went to reply lol

Yep got snow here to so i picked up a net when i was at Dicks and set it up in the basement pretty neat to work on the swing in my PJ's
but i found out the hard way i need to move closer to the net on my short irons popped one up over the net put a dent in the ceiling already gotta fix it before the wife sees it.

ya i figured they wouldnt show up either lol, with the matte white they show up as dark smudges

I dont know if my hands are cleaner or those of our testers are...hehe, but we have not seen that at all. No more so than that of any other driver we have ever tried. I have had a R11 in my bag for close to a month off and on for testing and it still looks pretty clean to me and I have not even had to wipe it down yet.

I dont know if my hands are cleaner or those of our testers are...hehe, but we have not seen that at all. No more so than that of any other driver we have ever tried. I have had a R11 in my bag for close to a month off and on for testing and it still looks pretty clean to me and I have not even had to wipe it down yet.

lol my hands are usually clean but i really noticed it after hitting it in the net and my hands were a little sweaty and i changed the ASP and where my fingers were on the crown holding the head while changing it is where they were, might of been stuff on my hands from my grip plus being a little sweaty. Its not a problem as you cant see it when the club is addressed but only when you look close.

Back