How's Your Handicap

How's Your Handicap

• Total voters
I just downloaded the free Oob app and signed up for fairway files as well.

Fairways is a key factor. And wow that is really impressive for only 2 years. Great job!!

I think the higher numbers are easier to come down, honestly. I started last season as a 21.2 and ended as a 13.8 in just one season.
My goal is to be single digit this year. I have never recorded a single digit differential in my life though (best is a 12.4), so I have a WAYS to go. 6 out of 20 "differentials" are still >18. Inconsistent.

I think the higher numbers are easier to come down, honestly. I started last season as a 21.2 and ended as a 13.8 in just one season.
My goal is to be single digit this year. I have never recorded a single digit differential in my life though (best is a 12.4), so I have a WAYS to go. 6 out of 20 "differentials" are still >18. Inconsistent.

Like I said to breeze you would be surprised how easy it is to get from a 13.8 to a 10 in just a few good rounds, and then from a 10 to a 9.9. The main factor in acheiving those numbers are just avoiding big numbers and like you said consistency. With hard work I'm sure you can do it.

Well I entered some of my scores from last year. Sadly my 2 best rounds were up on LI and I didn't have the scorecard to write down what I shot. Looking back, man do I stink! I don't think I'm going to be trying to get in on the Morgan Cup as I just don't have the game for it right now. That hurts to say but I forgot how bad I played last year

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap? I use GHIN via my association membership

2. If you don't do this, have you thought about it? N/A

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.) I started using Egolfer via the ghin site....but don't track all of my stats so I stopped posting on it.

4. Do you think that it's important? Not really, I know what I need to work on.

5. Do you think keeping a handicap is important overall? Yes since I play in as many tournaments as I can.

6. What is your actual handicap? Handicap index is currently sitting at 11.4.

Never kept an official one. My old GPS App calculated one in the app but I switched to Golfshot GPS and it does not calculate a handicap, so I just joined Fairwayfiles. Golfshot tracks all the same stats but this way I have both and the fake handicap. Though I plan to get my GHIN this year, the club I play most is offering it for $25 to non-members who are part of their rewards card program, which I am, so I figure for $25 it would be stupid to pass up, especially if I want to play in any tourney's later that need an offical index.

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap?

A few weeks back I joined oob and entered the few scorecards I could find from last year. All at the same course, not a particularly difficult one mind you. It spit back my handicap was around 18.

2. If you don't do this, have you thought about it?

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.)

oob is easy, of course its not an official HC. I don't play tournys though, just with my dad and occasionally my friends so I don't have any real need for a HC other than tracking where Im at in my game.

4. Do you think that it's important?

Yea, I think it gives you a real means of tracking improvement in your overall game.

5. Do you think keeping a handicap is important overall?

See #4
6. What is your actual handicap?

18 based on the 4 or 5 scorecards I found from last year. I feel like I can make some good progress this year in lowering it. I was struggling with a shoulder issue at the end of last year and my swing was all over the place as a result.

Yep, as a member of a club my handicap is all official. Again, you have to have one to be able to enter comps etc...

Plus I'm a competitive SOB so want to get as good as I can at golf, a handicap is obv the standard method to differentiate between golfers standard of play

how do i join the OOB golf for THP members. my username on OOB is mbuemi1577

how do i join the OOB golf for THP members. my username on OOB is mbuemi1577

Click on the "My Groups" tab at the top and search for "The Hackers Paradise". Open the page and click join group.

How's my handicap? Appearntly way better then I thought. Once I plugged everything into oob I ended up with a way better number then my rough calculations as I dropped from an estimated 22 to a 17.4 woot!
Having a GPS this year that tracks everything also means I have no excuse to not do proper stats either.

Thank to you all for pointing me in the direct of oob to get it all sorted.

How's my handicap? Appearntly way better then I thought. Once I plugged everything into oob I ended up with a way better number then my rough calculations as I dropped from an estimated 22 to a 17.4 woot!
Having a GPS this year that tracks everything also means I have no excuse to not do proper stats either.

Thank to you all for pointing me in the direct of oob to get it all sorted.

Thats great Tuna you just dropped your HC 5 strokes in 10 minutes. Thats fastest improvement I've ever seen.

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap? GHIN through my local club

2. If you don't do this, have you thought about it? N/A

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.) Simply a handicap service.

4. Do you think that it's important? Not really

5. Do you think keeping a handicap is important overall? I think every serious golfer should have one. Virtually necessary for any tournament.

6. What is your actual handicap? 3.9

5. Do you think keeping a handicap is important overall? I think every serious golfer should have one. Virtually necessary for any tournament.

6. What is your actual handicap? 3.9

Dude you are a serious golfer, 3.9, Damn.

Thats great Tuna you just dropped your HC 5 strokes in 10 minutes. Thats fastest improvement I've ever seen.

If only we all could be that good eh? :p

The 8 index that I have listed here is just a guesstimate. I last kept an official HC (GHIN) in '09 when I finished the year in the low 6's. In 2010, I only got out 6 times until a December escape to Myrtle Beach so I didn't keep one.

I could be sandbagging with my listed 8 but I really don't think so. My swing is definitely coming together but it's still not where it needs to be.

I have a question about my handicap. It states a handicap of 12 but my scores are mostly in the 90's. Is this because I don't have enough rounds to calculate a legitimate handicap?

I have a question about my handicap. It states a handicap of 12 but my scores are mostly in the 90's. Is this because I don't have enough rounds to calculate a legitimate handicap?

That could be the case, because the normal way a handicap is calculated is based on your 10 best rounds out of your last 20. If you have less than 20 rounds to go off of, they take fewer of your best rounds to calculate your handicap. I found this chart online:
Number of Differentials Used

Rounds Entered Differentials Used
5-6 1 lowest
7-8 2 lowest
9-10 3 lowest
11-12 4 lowest
13-14 5 lowest
15-16 6 lowest
17 7 lowest
18 8 lowest
19 9 lowest
20 10 lowest

Basically, it means that you have less than 20 rounds to calculate your handicap, your handicap could be lower than it really should be because they are basing it on a small number of your best rounds.

That is what I thought. Thanks dude.

I just finished logging some dated scorecards into my fairway files account and it got me to thinking..

1. How many of you guys use a service, whether it be online or in a club, to keep up with a handicap? oobgolf

3. What else do you like about the services that you use? (I like fairway files b/c we have a group that a few of us THP'ers belong to so we can see each others scores/stats/etc.) same thing with oobgolf

4. Do you think that it's important? I think if you really want to improve, you need to keep track of things

6. What is your actual handicap? while I am showing a 12.5, I am probably more like a 15 coming out of winter...

I agree - Ive posted this before - but when i found THP - (i was blaming my clubs lol) and i was told more or less to get my arse to a lesson or two. I was shooting 120, 110's. Wasnt making good contact at all.
After 14 lessons - im making great contact - the swing feels better than its ever been. If i could eliminate double bogeys and penalties i bet i can get to single digit handicaps. That was my goal this year and i have a pretty aggressive plan in place.

Im going to focus on driving (to eliminate penalty strokes, thats where most of my penalties were hooking OOB) and short game - if i can get my chipping and wedge shots down i think i can drop more strokes off my game.

I need a course management lesson at PGA national - I played today and wasnt hitting driver very accurate - so i shelved it for a 3w on 7 and 9 - and hit both fairways. I didnt do that ever last year.

while I am showing a 12.5, I am probably more like a 15 coming out of winter...

yea i dont expect to pick up where i left off - even with the practice indoors and putting ive done this winter - the short game will probably take a while to get back - for some reason today i was killing my 5-7 irons really straight - i didnt hit the 55 at all. hit PW twice.

Where has this little nugget of goldness been! To think all my snowmen could have been melted away by the plasma death ray of picking up and moving on. I had a great conversation with AHA today about this very topic, convinced me that i need to pay closer attention. I had used something last summer, but it kept telling me I was better than I was so I stopped. So I jumped on the oob tonight...rocked out to 19.5...suck! On course was a 22, but I don't what that is anyway. Thank you a ton TC for starting this thread, there is so much I need to learn about this game.

If you enter your scores hole by hole, the site probably applies the ESC for you. If you enter a total score only you need to adjust. Not much to it, really.

'Cap of 9 or less No score higher than double bogey.
'Cap of 10-19 No score higher than 7.'Cap of 20-29 No score higher than 8.
'Cap of 30-39 No score higher than 9.
'Cap of 40-+ No score higher than 10.

That's all there is to it. Keeps a couple blow up holes from raising your 'cap. Like a 12 on the 18th in a big match for instance.

Kevin

Back