Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Great write up chunky! I love how you recap your rounds.

I also noticed that the g15's were for sale. These irons impressing you? Would they have ever been on your radar if it weren't for the seeding?

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Thanks TC. It is actually helping me as sort of a mind exercise. I have a horrible memory but I think it's a little brain workout trying to recall all my shots.

G15's are up for sale. If they don't sell I won't be mad. I will keep them as I love those irons. As for the Di11's they are impressing me more and more every round. There is not a shot that I can't hit with these clubs. That is not saying that I don't have any bad shots. It's just saying that my confidence has risen to the point that if I need to hit a particular shot I am confident that I will hit that shot. That is pretty much all you can ask for out of an iron if you ask me.

Now to be brutally honest(I'm sorry W/S) no these were not even remotely on my radar TC. I have to say that I was being a bit snobbish and thinking no way were these going to knock off my beloved Pings. I have to tell you after the first round I was stunned. Each round I've gotten more confident and yesterday I swear before that blow up on 8 happened I was thinking 70's. Not only do I like these irons, I love these irons. My favorite part of the set is the wedges. Possibly the best wedges from a stock set I have ever played. I am ridiculously confident with them right now. I just need to get used to the longer shaft in the longer irons and I will be playing some good golf. My goal has been to get back to my old handicap and with these not only do I think it's going to happen, I know it's going to happen.

Plus the script on the bottom of the irons reminds me of my old 845's which is a great memory for me. I just love looking at these bad boys in my bag. But that 9 iron does need to be punished. I washed the set this morning and I purposely left the 9 iron dirty. The other clubs are going to mock it until it starts hitting good shots for me.

Thanks TC. It is actually helping me as sort of a mind exercise. I have a horrible memory but I think it's a little brain workout trying to recall all my shots.

G15's are up for sale. If they don't sell I won't be mad. I will keep them as I love those irons. As for the Di11's they are impressing me more and more every round. There is not a shot that I can't hit with these clubs. That is not saying that I don't have any bad shots. It's just saying that my confidence has risen to the point that if I need to hit a particular shot I am confident that I will hit that shot. That is pretty much all you can ask for out of an iron if you ask me.

Now to be brutally honest(I'm sorry W/S) no these were not even remotely on my radar TC. I have to say that I was being a bit snobbish and thinking no way were these going to knock off my beloved Pings. I have to tell you after the first round I was stunned. Each round I've gotten more confident and yesterday I swear before that blow up on 8 happened I was thinking 70's. Not only do I like these irons, I love these irons. My favorite part of the set is the wedges. Possibly the best wedges from a stock set I have ever played. I am ridiculously confident with them right now. I just need to get used to the longer shaft in the longer irons and I will be playing some good golf. My goal has been to get back to my old handicap and with these not only do I think it's going to happen, I know it's going to happen.

Plus the script on the bottom of the irons reminds me of my old 845's which is a great memory for me. I just love looking at these bad boys in my bag. But that 9 iron does need to be punished. I washed the set this morning and I purposely left the 9 iron dirty. The other clubs are going to mock it until it starts hitting good shots for me.

Two things come to mind reading this.

1. You must be like the guy in the commercial with Barnes. "Wilson Staff...Seriously?"...haha

2. And it TOTALLY reminds me of the 845 script. I said that the minute I saw them.

Awesome reply chunky, thanks for the honesty. I am glad you had the opportunity to get these. You, and the other testers, are doing a great job to this point.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

Two things come to mind reading this.

1. You must be like the guy in the commercial with Barnes. "Wilson Staff...Seriously?"...haha

2. And it TOTALLY reminds me of the 845 script. I said that the minute I saw them.

LMAO I sheepishly admit to that. Chunky shot and all

That's awesome CL! It's outstanding that these have made a solid impression on you to the point that the G15's are on the block

Thanks Hanks.

Great stuff Ron and Chunky. Ron nice 101 from the gold tees at 6900 yards thats a big course! Hopefully this testing can bring these irons to the minds of more people looking for a new set of irons. I know they weren`t on mine and now I can`t believe I didn`t hit them before.

So far these irons have knocked out a set of G15`s, another set of Pings and a set of burner 2.0`s. Can they knock of another set of 2.0s`we are yet to find out.

If I were a betting man I would say yes. Can't wait till Kevin gets his set

Great stuff Ron and Chunky. Ron nice 101 from the gold tees at 6900 yards thats a big course! Hopefully this testing can bring these irons to the minds of more people looking for a new set of irons. I know they weren`t on mine and now I can`t believe I didn`t hit them before.

Cool, I think your reviews and the other reviews have definitely helped put these sticks on the radar but it doesn't change a problem that many THP'ers have had with W/S for quite some time now, and that's where the hell to actually find them to demo them.

Until that changes, I think that W/S will be behind the 8-ball a bit. I'd love to know what they're doing to make themselves more available.

Another thing I noticed tonight is that these clubs seem to favor more of a miss toward the heel rather then toward the toe. Shots hit a little closer to the heel felt like they were hit perfect. No loss in distance and no rattle up your arm. Shots toward the toe I got a bit of a loss in distance but a much more noticeable warning that I had mishit the ball. I like this as I am much more prone to a heel mishit then a toe mishit.

Interesting observation CL. I have a set of Miura Tourney's that are the same way. Middle in and you would hardly know that you have missed the sweet spot unless you are off by 0.5" or something like that. Middle out and there is no doubt that you have missed it.

I remember reading somewhere that Mizuno designed some of its recent clubs so that they favored misses out toward the toe as in their opinion, on average for many players the miss is middle out. As my ball striking improved over time, my miss moved all the way from out on the toe to middle in and in a much narrower range. I wonder if that is the way it goes for most of us. As we get better and better, I am sure the range of error narrows but I wonder if our misses tend to be middle in instead of middle out as well.

Anyway did not mean to thread jack. I don't wonder how many times the club makers favor middle in vs middle out.

Completely agree TC. If they got these irons into the big box stores I think they would be a hit. Until people can hit them though they have an image problem that won't be solved by some funny commercials. The commercials do help though.

Cool, I think your reviews and the other reviews have definitely helped put these sticks on the radar but it doesn't change a problem that many THP'ers have had with W/S for quite some time now, and that's where the hell to actually find them to demo them.

Until that changes, I think that W/S will be behind the 8-ball a bit. I'd love to know what they're doing to make themselves more available.

Very true TC. In Canada they are carried at every Golftown location so they are easy to find for us, but we are not a big market as there are only 30 million of us. Hopefully they can start to be carried more heavily in the big golf chains in the US again and can be found and demoed by more people. If their advertising campaign recently is any indication, they are going to start trying to get their products out there more and more.

Completely agree TC. If they got these irons into the big box stores I think they would be a hit. Until people can hit them though they have an image problem that won't be solved by some funny commercials. The commercials do help though.

Im not sure about that. There are many a brand that are not in big box stores that still become successful. I think that if these turn out as good as they seem to be doing, the distribution will certainly change.

Interesting observation CL. I have a set of Miura Tourney's that are the same way. Middle in and you would hardly know that you have missed the sweet spot unless you are off by 0.5" or something like that. Middle out and there is no doubt that you have missed it.

I remember reading somewhere that Mizuno designed some of its recent clubs so that they favored misses out toward the toe as in their opinion, on average for many players the miss is middle out. As my ball striking improved over time, my miss moved all the way from out on the toe to middle in and in a much narrower range. I wonder if that is the way it goes for most of us. As we get better and better, I am sure the range of error narrows but I wonder if our misses tend to be middle in instead of middle out as well.

Anyway did not mean to thread jack. I don't wonder how many times the club makers favor middle in vs middle out.

Lol I don't know about getting better Jnug. I do know that a long time ago I used to play a fade and my miss would occasionally be on the toe. I took some lessons and learned to play a draw and now my misses tend to be a little toward the heel.

Im not sure about that. There are many a brand that are not in big box stores that still become successful. I think that if these turn out as good as they seem to be doing, the distribution will certainly change.

I hope you are right JB. I can tell you firsthand they make an excellent product and I hope they get the success that the iron deserves. I do have to say that changing the shaft offerings would help. I bet a significant amount of people would scoff at playing a uniflex shaft. The only reason I don't is because I had such great success with a uni in my old irons.

You think they take a more green grass approach to get back into mainstream?

Okay now that I have some food in me let me add a few things. At the turn my score was 44. I wasn't even thinking about breaking 100, I was seriously thinking breaking 90. On 13, one of our 4some skulled his balls and before he could even finish yelling Fore, it slammed into the side of my left knee. It about dropped me. Since I am a lefty, my left leg is where I really push off on my swing, and for the next 5 holes it got progressively worse.

On 18 the tee box is elevated about 100 ft. over the fairway. I creamed my drive and went down cause my leg came out from under me. I did however, with the wind behind me and bounce smash the 318 yd. drive. The first and only time I have driven for more than 250. It was a par 5 and I limped through the rest of the round and finished with a 7 on the hole for a 57 on the back 9.

I seriously think I had a good shot at breaking 90 today prior to getting nailed.

Now it's time for some scotch and tylenol and an ice pack

I hope you are right JB. I can tell you firsthand they make an excellent product and I hope they get the success that the iron deserves. I do have to say that changing the shaft offerings would help. I bet a significant amount of people would scoff at playing a uniflex shaft. The only reason I don't is because I had such great success with a uni in my old irons.

I agree, although in this type of set its not always a huge thing. I actually really like the Uniflex shafts in these...Something I did not expect.

You think they take a more green grass approach to get back into mainstream?

No, but I think they will increase distribution like many others, once some media penetration takes place. These irons are getting great buzz and publicity.

Okay now that I have some food in me let me add a few things. At the turn my score was 44. I wasn't even thinking about breaking 100, I was seriously thinking breaking 90. On 13, one of our 4some skulled his balls and before he could even finish yelling Fore, it slammed into the side of my left knee. It about dropped me. Since I am a lefty, my left leg is where I really push off on my swing, and for the next 5 holes it got progressively worse.

On 18 the tee box is elevated about 100 ft. over the fairway. I creamed my drive and went down cause my leg came out from under me. I did however, with the wind behind me and bounce smash the 318 yd. drive. The first and only time I have driven for more than 250. It was a par 5 and I limped through the rest of the round and finished with a 7 on the hole for a 57 on the back 9.

I seriously think I had a good shot at breaking 90 today prior to getting nailed.

Now it's time for some scotch and tylenol and an ice pack

Damn sorry abou the knee Ron. But you toughed it out Tiger style. Feel better man

Oh and in answer to your question TC, I had never even thought about Wilson as an option. I saw their stuff in K-Mart and Wal-Mart and the Wilson Staff stuff in Big 5 sporting goods which is like the Wal Mart of sporting goods here. I was positive I was getting a set of K 15's this season. I'll tell you though, if Wilson Staff keeps up this quality level I'll be a customer for life

I agree, although in this type of set its not always a huge thing. I actually really like the Uniflex shafts in these...Something I did not expect.

No, but I think they will increase distribution like many others, once some media penetration takes place. These irons are getting great buzz and publicity.

I have to say that the guys in my foursome were staring at my irons. They really liked them. One of the guys had a set of Di7's and I am betting he is going to upgrade. I let him hit a couple of shots and he was loving them.

Oh and in answer to your question TC, I had never even thought about Wilson as an option. I saw their stuff in K-Mart and Wal-Mart and the Wilson Staff stuff in Big 5 sporting goods which is like the Wal Mart of sporting goods here. I was positive I was getting a set of K 15's this season. I'll tell you though, if Wilson Staff keeps up this quality level I'll be a customer for life

Love your thoughts Ron, keep them coming. 318 drive, thats crazy man, if you buddy hadn`t maimed you it could have been 350!

It took me a while, but I found a set of these at Edwinn Watts in Knoxville. I am making a point to drive over and check them out based on the excellent reviews. You guys are doing a great job.

Back