ESPN March Madness round by round picking game

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE OFFICIAL THP BRACKET CONTEST, PLEASE VISIT THE CONTEST AND GIVEAWAYS FORUM.

We are going to use ESPN for our round by round bracket game again this year. We've been using this for our Streak for the Cash games and other fun games throughout the year and it seems that everyone is happy with this site. Please read the first two posts in this thread for all the info you need.

http://games.espn.go.com/chpickem/en/frontpage

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL THP CONTEST. NO PRIZES WILL BE AWARDED. THIS IS ONLY FOR BRAGGING RIGHTS.

Please use your THP Screen name for this game. I had to add numbers after my name. When you sign up, it asks for your real name. You can put whatever you want for that name. If you already have an ESPN account you want to use, please change your last name to your THP name for this. One entry per person. If you do not put your forum name somewhere in your entry, it will be removed from the group.

The group ID is: 1926
The group name is: THP Round by Round (Note that this is THP, not THE)
The group password is: Hackers

You are responsible for making sure that you actually got into the group and that your selections were saved. Every year we have a few entries that didn't take for whatever reason. Please make sure your entry is submitted to the group correctly! Not that it really matters, since this is only for fun!

There may be spoilers within this thread, so be careful if you want to watch games after they have been played.

Scoring in the game is different this year and takes the following into account:

- The number of correct pick points increases in each round of the tournament.
- You do not receive or lose points for incorrect picks.
- There is a bonus awarded for picking a winning team from the lower "seed buckets".

Here are the rules from ESPN with scoring and tiebreaker procedures:

5. TIMING. The Promotion begins on Wednesday, March 2, 2011 at 3:00pm and ends on Monday, April 4, 2011 at 11:59pm (or upon the completion of the Tournament) (the "Promotion Period"). For purposes of these Official Rules all times are Eastern Time ("ET"). For purposes of these Official Rules all times are Eastern Time.

6. HOW TO PLAY.

a. General. The objective of the Promotion is to accumulate the most points by correctly selecting the "winning pick" for each of the sixty-seven (67) match-ups associated with the Tournament.

b. How to make your selections. You may enter your selections online by following the instructions in the How to Play section of the game.

c. Scoring. From all eligible entries received, the winner will be determined based on their ability to use their skill and knowledge of U.S. men's college basketball to accumulate the most points during the Promotion Period. The number of correct pick points increases in each round of the tournament. You do not receive or lose points for incorrect picks. Additionally, there is a bonus awarded for picking a winning team from the lower "seed buckets". The seed buckets are as follows:

o Bucket 1: Teams seeded 1 thru 4
o Bucket 2: Teams seeded 5 thru 8
o Bucket 3: Teams seeded 9 thru 12
o Bucket 4: Teams seeded 13 thru 16

The total number of points awarded in a given round is shown below:
o Round 1 (4 games: "First Four" games)
+ 1 pt each win

o Round 2 (32 games: Thurs 3/17 & Friday 3/18)
+ Bucket 1 = 1 point per win
+ Bucket 2 = 2 point per win
+ Bucket 3 = 3 point per win
+ Bucket 4 = 4 point per win

o Round 3 (16 games: Sat 3/19 & Sun 3/20)
+ Bucket 1 = 2 points per win
+ Bucket 2 = 4 points per win
+ Bucket 3 = 6 points per win
+ Bucket 4 = 8 points per win

o Round 4 (8 games: Thurs 3/24 & Friday 3/25)
+ Bucket 1 = 3 points per win
+ Bucket 2 = 6 points per win
+ Bucket 3 = 9 points per win
+ Bucket 4 = 12 points per win

o Round 5 (8 games: Sat 3/26 & Sunday 3/27)
+ Bucket 1 = 4 points per win
+ Bucket 2 = 8 points per win
+ Bucket 3 = 12 points per win
+ Bucket 4 = 16 points per win

o Round 6 (2 games: Sat 4/2)
+ Bucket 1 = 5 points per win
+ Bucket 2 = 10 points per win
+ Bucket 3 = 15 points per win
+ Bucket 4 = 20 points per win

o Round 7 (1 games: Mon 4/4)
+ Bucket 1 = 6 points per win
+ Bucket 2 = 12 points per win
+ Bucket 3 = 18 points per win
+ Bucket 4 = 24 points per win

In the event a Tournament match does not occur as scheduled (e.g., due to cancellation, postponement, etc.) no points will be awarded. Ties will be broken in accordance with the tiebreaker procedure below.

d. Lock-time. The system will "lock" at the start of each individual Tournament Game to prevent further pick submission. Your picks for the matchups must be submitted, received and recorded by Sponsor's computer by the scheduled locktime. Selections submitted after the deadline are considered invalid. Sponsor's computer is the official time- keeping device for this Promotion.

e. Ties. Entrants may, but are not required to, submit a predicted score for the championship game (the "Tiebreaker Game Score"). This prediction is used for tiebreaker purposes only. If no predicted score is submitted for an entry, it is given a default prediction of zero (0) points to zero (0) points.

OVERALL TIEBREAKERS:
o Tiebreaker #1 - An Entrant's predicted Tiebreaker Game Score is compared to the actual game score. The differences (absolute values only) between the predicted score and actual score for each team are added together into a combined total. The entry with the smallest total is considered the winning entry.
o Tiebreaker #2 - The Entrant's predicted score for the winning team that is closest to the actual score of the winning team is considered the winning entry.
o Tiebreaker #3 - Number of points scored in Championship Round.
o Tiebreaker #4 - Number of points scored in Round 6.
o Tiebreaker #5 - Number of points scored in Round 5.
o Tiebreaker #6 - Number of points scored in Round 4.
o Tiebreaker #7 - Number of points scored in Round 3.
o Tiebreaker #8 - Number of points scored in Round 2.
o Tiebreaker #9 - The Entrant whose date of entry creation was recorded in the system the earliest.

In all cases, an entry that does not win a tiebreaker is eliminated from consideration.

Last edited:
Game Settings
After you have signed in, you will be prompted with a screen with a "Create Entry" button. After you click on the button you will be automatically redirected to the "Entry Settings" page where you will be asked to name your entry and decide whether you would like email reminders.

* Name your entry - Use the text box to determine how your entry will be displayed in the game.
* Email Reminders - Use the radio buttons to select whether or not you'd like to receive an email reminder for this game.

Once you have completed your game settings click on the "Submit Entry Settings" button.
Making Your Selections

Pick the team in each matchup that you think will win by clicking on the table cell containing the checkbox. Once you've made all of your picks and are satisfied with your selections click the "Submit Your Picks" button to enter them. Matchups lock individually at the game's scheduled start time. Note that the scheduled start time may not be the exact start time of the actual tip-off of the game. All available matchups for a day will be entered in the system and selectable by midnight (12:00am Eastern Time) each day. No matchups will be added for the current day after this time.

Scoring
Scoring in the game is different this year and takes the following into account:

- The number of correct pick points increases in each round of the tournament.
- You do not receive or lose points for incorrect picks.
- There is a bonus awarded for picking a winning team from the lower "seed buckets".

Get ready to laugh at how bad my picks are.....

Edit: Password is Case SeNsItiVe BTW

I think I'm going to pick em' this year via the mascot match-up?

I'm in. Thanks for setting up.

Ok, think I'm in under bulldogdg

Only six people have signed up for this one so far, but it's early.

bulldog, don't forget to sign up for the Official THP Bracket game too in the Contest forum.

I'm in, bring it on!!!

I am in! I enjoy the round by round. Shouldbe fun!

Beowulf_THP is in and ready for the Win!!
My major upset pick is #14 Indiana State University over #3 Syracuse. I have to pick my Alma Mater don't I?

Is Larry Bird playing?
My major upset pick is #14 Indiana State University over #3 Syracuse. I have to pick my Alma Mater don't I?

Is Larry Bird playing?

No but we have these kids named Jake Odum and Jordan Printy that together equal what Larry did....almost. LOL

I'm in, but certainly not a threat to make any noise.

An employee in my office picked them to go all the way, she doesn't know anything about basketball though, so who knows!

We've got 12 people in this one. This one's a little tougher because it's not a set it and forget it game. We have a couple more days to talk some more into trying it out though!

I will be in when I get on the computer. Didn't see this last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Up to 13 now. I'll bump this one up from time to time, but not as often as the official contest.

bump, hijack, do what you need to do man. :D

The play-in games have started and will continue tomorrow. If you haven't gotten in and you still want to, hurry up, because these four games are only one point each.

Anyone check their results from the first two games? Looks like 6 of us got both games right last night. Me included :D

Anyone check their results from the first two games? Looks like 6 of us got both games right last night. Me included :D

Yep - me too. Pure luck!!!

Yep - me too. Pure luck!!!

yea, I would say that 90% of my picks will be guesses and not actual knowledge of the teams.

The play-in games have started and will continue tomorrow. If you haven't gotten in and you still want to, hurry up, because these four games are only one point each.

Just want to mention this again. Get in now before the real games start. It's only for fun anyway, so it's no big deal to be a couple points behind now.

Back