Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

I agree Hanks. The Mashie doesn't perform well for me either when I tee it too high. That's not really a fault of the club though.

Today was a showcase day for the M1 Abrams errr M1 Mashie. This thing is my 3 wood killer. ON the turn coming home on a par 5, I had 255 to the green after another one of my mediocre drives. It was slightly downhill to the green, with a helping breeze. I hit the M1 with a nice smooth swing and it took off like a missile. It flew so far, we couldn't even tell where it landed, but it looked right on line with the middle of the green. I get up there, and can't find it. After about 5 minutes, I find the ball way past the green, across a service road by the putting green. It must have flown 270, with the aid of the wind. WOW. But it gets better. 2 holes later, another par 5 and another mediocre drive left me about 245 yards to the pin, with a left to right and hurting wind. I aim to the left edge of the green and let it rip. Another missile, tailing to the right on the wind, hits and stops 5 feet from the pin. Thankfully I made the 5 foot putt for eagle. This M1 is a freakin weapon. I hit it as long as a 3 Wood and its much easier for me to keep online than any 3 Wood I've ever hit. Those 2 shots off the deck were as long or longer than any drive I hit that day. I think that's a testament to the excellent shaft in this missile launcher. I must say, its got me really interested in hitting one of the new Cleveland drivers that come with those C Kua shafts in them.

Those 2 shots were crazy long. The shot that set up an eagle was unreal. OEM and I were sitting in the cart saying the g4l was just playing a different game than we were. The thing about that shot that surprised me was that it stopped as well as it did on the green.

A lot of mashies were hit yesterday by all, there were a lot of times where 3 of the 4 guys would use a mashie to tee off and I would be the odd ball with my adams A7(I couldn't help it I was hitting it good). The times that I hit it I came away impressed. Both days I saw some good success with the mashie.

Those 2 shots were crazy long. The shot that set up an eagle was unreal. OEM and I were sitting in the cart saying the g4l was just playing a different game than we were. The thing about that shot that surprised me was that it stopped as well as it did on the green.

A lot of mashies were hit yesterday by all, there were a lot of times where 3 of the 4 guys would use a mashie to tee off and I would be the odd ball with my adams A7(I couldn't help it I was hitting it good). The times that I hit it I came away impressed. Both days I saw some good success with the mashie.

So the question is, will you be replacing the A7?

Not blaming the club at all, just noting that if the ball is teed too high the piercing flight the Mashie is known for isn't there as much

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Blame it on the wind bro.

I hit both hybrids good yesterday. The A7 gave me a great trajectory to cut through the wind, esp off the tee. The mashie worked well to, high ball flight from the M4 which I like. I plan on having both in the bag all year.

I do have a complaint about the headcover. The tassel is already starting to come undone and it's only been 2 rounds and 2 range sessions with it.

Got my mashie in last week and took it to range Saturday night, doesnt work for me, everything is high and hooking. And before someone says my swing i took my VR Pro Hybrid and I was hitting it dead straight and shaping the ball anyway I wanted. Im sure its a good club just doesnt fit my swing.

not after the way I hit it yesterday.

I can't seem to kick the A7s either!

I need something btwn driver and A7 3, the M1 is in the lead. I hate buying clubs I can't hit first, but it is unlikely I will find a M1 to demo. Everyone around here just stocks the 2,3,4. I should just get one...that shaft is a keeper if nothing else.

I've decided to forgo buying a Mashie this year. I'll take that money and put it into a really solid set of shoes to help with the fundamentals before I start buying fancy clubs to help me make excuses.

So far I am enjoying mine and seeing a bit of improvement over my burner hybrids. I do dislike the grip immensely though, mostly because I need something bigger but also due to its hardness.

I've seen mentioned that the butt is a .650 but their own site say .600 for butt diameter. Can someone confirm the need for a .650 grip? Now I need to figure out how to extend it an inch without using wraps upon wraps of my smaller graphite extensions.

Eph

I got the Mashie 20.5* loft yesterday, and took it straight to the course. It is awesome!!! I love this club. Great off the tee, great out of the fairway, even great off of pinestraw hard pan. Unbelievable.

So far I am enjoying mine and seeing a bit of improvement over my burner hybrids. I do dislike the grip immensely though, mostly because I need something bigger but also due to its hardness.

I've seen mentioned that the butt is a .650 but their own site say .600 for butt diameter. Can someone confirm the need for a .650 grip? Now I need to figure out how to extend it an inch without using wraps upon wraps of my smaller graphite extensions.

Eph

Due to hand pain issues, I like to play with a larger, softer grip. I know that the original Mashie grip is very lightweight so I replaced it with a WinnLite Soft (7L5) grip. This is a soft, +1/8 grip. I did not do the replacement myself. I had Golf Smith do it so I don't know of any butt diameter issues. I can not detect any change in performance and my hands are much happier.

-Steven

Eph

I'm seeing conflicting information. You are right that the Cleveland website says it is a .600 diameter, but the Miyazaki website says that shaft is a .650, and the Lamkin website says that the Cleveland SuperLite grip is for Mashies and is for .650 diameter shafts.

That being said, I had a difficult time trying to get a .600 diameter grip on a Mashie (and ultimately failed). Others have been able to get them on. I bought the .650 Lamkin and was able to get it on, but it seems like the right size, not too big.

I'm seeing conflicting information. You are right that the Cleveland website says it is a .600 diameter, but the Miyazaki website says that shaft is a .650, and the Lamkin website says that the Cleveland SuperLite grip is for Mashies and is for .650 diameter shafts.

That being said, I had a difficult time trying to get a .600 diameter grip on a Mashie (and ultimately failed). Others have been able to get them on. I bought the .650 Lamkin and was able to get it on, but it seems like the right size, not too big.

Now I see it. Hmm, this seems like a lot of hassle if I also want to try to extend it. I may just suck it up and live with for a while. Thanks for the input ad* & swong.

OK, I got my you-know-what on.

OK, I got my you-know-what on.

Well, I'm a convert now. I just had a great range session (probably a bad one for those of you with handicaps lower than mine) so I could really compare the M3 vs my +1" burner high launch 3h.

They hit about the same, distance-wise, but the shorter M3 was much more manageable and and smooth/light to swing. On top of all of that, the M3's standard shot seemed to be a baby draw while the Burner's was its usual fade. Trajectory-wise, the Mashie's flight was not as high but it seemed to stop just as quickly.

So, I think I'll sell off my 3 burner hybrids and replace them with M3 and M4. Then I could free up another slot in my bag for something I don't need!

- Eph

P.S. Keep in mind I was hitting a 19 degree 40.5" Burner vs. a 20.5 degree 40.25" M3 and seeing what looked like just a few yards further for the TM. Cleveland has a hot little face going here.

Apologies if those were any THPers I beat out for the M4 just now on eBay.

Due to hand pain issues, I like to play with a larger, softer grip. I know that the original Mashie grip is very lightweight so I replaced it with a WinnLite Soft (7L5) grip. This is a soft, +1/8 grip. I did not do the replacement myself. I had Golf Smith do it so I don't know of any butt diameter issues. I can not detect any change in performance and my hands are much happier.

-Steven

Interesting. We we told by Cleveland that the butt end of the shaft is too big and that the danger is that the grip will rip. We were told that you could add wraps to make it a larger, softer grip. Cleveland said they would add the grip to any order (to the box), but they didn't want to be responsible for trying to add on the grip that technically shouldn't or wouldn't fit.

BUT, for the 83 series, the shaft size is different and the butt end will accommodate more grip choices.

Apologies if those were any THPers I beat out for the M4 just now on eBay.

No apology needed.
That's what you call "good shooting". . .

Played 9 today with my two new mashies and new 13 degree cleveland fairway wood. On a shorter part 5 I teed off with the FW had a bit of a slice so only got about 215. Then had 235 to the pin. Here comes the M1. I was thinking just hit up there close and can niblick it on. Took an easy swing with the M1 and crushed it. There is water the hole length of the fairway to the left and I was thinking there is a good chance its going to draw into the water. Walk up to the front of the green looking for the ball and its pin high! I missed my 12 foot put for what would have been my first eagle. The M1 is amazing. I didn't take the driver out of the bag all 9 holes and had my 2nd best 9 holes ever.

Interesting. We we told by Cleveland that the butt end of the shaft is too big and that the danger is that the grip will rip. We were told that you could add wraps to make it a larger, softer grip. Cleveland said they would add the grip to any order (to the box), but they didn't want to be responsible for trying to add on the grip that technically shouldn't or wouldn't fit.

BUT, for the 83 series, the shaft size is different and the butt end will accommodate more grip choices.

Patty-

As you know (since I bought it from you) I got the 59 shaft. For all that I know, Cleveland may be right and some poor tech at GolfSmith ripped up several WinnLite grips trying to get one on my Mashie. Or maybe the tech was just really good at putting on grips. But they got it on and I am happy.

-Steven

Went to the range today and spent a good amount of time with the mashie. After struggling with it my past couple of sessions I figured it out and it was a beast today. I hit head to head with my 5 wood, mashie off the deck, 5 wood off a tee, and the mashie was probably 5 yards shorter but much more consistant and I will take that any day. Can't wait to get the M2 hopefully this week.

I went to the Cleveland demo day at our club yesterday and hit all the Mashies. They only had the clubs in stiff as this was a very small set-up. I liked the M1 and M2 but I did not hit it as far as my 3 wood. I did hit is somewhat straighter but im not sure its enough to get one at this time.

I talked to the rep and he said he had seen this thread on THP. I told him this was the reason I already owned a M5 already. I did get some Trispeed balls to try out. I played a few holes with one and liked it. I loved the forged irons. but thats a subject for another thread.

Alright, I have been an updating machine as of late - commenting on the r11, c. kua, polara balls, and now I am getting around the my Mashie talk. Well, I hit it on Sunday and it was the most consistent club in the bag. The m4 has melted my heart with its kindness and joy in making me happy. I hit it on the simulator this evening, and it continues to amaze me. It was, again, the most consistent club in the bag (r11 was #2) and it seemed to fly for miles. My launch angle was right around 15* and I was poking it out there around 215-220. I was hitting off of the turf the entire time because the short tee was WAY to high. My ball flight was mid, straight, and precise. If I hadn't gotten the chance to test the r11 (which will be in my bag) I would have invested in a second mashie. It truly is a great club.

Back