Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

Got 27 holes in yesterday. I played at a course that has 27 holes (East, West, & North Course is what they call each 9). I played the West/North combo yesterday. And replayed my extra 9 holes on the North Course. It's a par 37, and measures in at 3495 yards, so it's pretty long. Long courses = lots of Mashie shots. To be frank, it was my best day with the Mashie to date. I owe so much of my new found success to JB. He pointed out a simple flaw and it's made all the difference in the world. I hate to be the guy that keeps saying how much I love the ball flight, how much I love the sound and feel of the ball off of the club face, and how much I love the results but it's just the simple truth. I am also astounded with how long this club is for a 20.5* head. The ball just seems to go and go and go. I actually think that I'm picking up a little more distance with it as well as I seem to be hitting it much more in the center of the club face.

Some Mashie highlights from yesterday:

1. Hole #3, Par 5 (505 yards), slight dogleg right, gradual ascent to the green. I hit a good drive up the right side, and I had 239 (measure with my Onpar) to the slightly elevated green. It's fairly wide open so I throw caution to the wind and pull Mashie. Smoked it! Dead straight, tracking at the pin which was located on the front of the green, but if feel just short, hit into the slight upslope short of the green and was about 6 yards short of the front edge. Still, 233 yards, slightly uphill? I'll take it.

2. Hole #4, Par 4 (485 yards), hardest hole on the golf course and the hole that I just despise. It's long, and it's incredibly unforgiving. There's a huge creek/marsh area that splits the fairway that's 285 yards away from the tee box. The problem is, you can reach it. The tee box is slightly elevated and the fairway just slopes towards this creek area. I've hit driver here before and had balls roll into the mess, so you have to hit a 3wood, well, when you do that, you've left yourself about 225-235 out on a Par 4, you'll be hitting off a downhill lie, and everything short of the green is bunkering. I hate this hole. If you can carry a ball 310-315 or so, you can try to fly the creek but it's not realistic. Anyway, I hit 3wood, had about 228 to the front of the green, down hill lie, so I hit the Mashie. It's the first time I've ever been on this green in regulation.....EVER!!! I aimed about 10 yards left of the green, trusting the the lie would help me hook the ball some and it was a ripper of a shot! I managed to have an easy 2 putt and get out of there.

Anyway, those were two shots with the Mashie that really stood out to me. I used it on my 2nd shots on the Par 5's and I have to tell you, the Mashie alone changes how I play some Par 5's these days. I'm not afraid to pull it out of the bag for my 2nd shot and just blast away with it.

TC, I am glad you had some great success with the Mashie yesterday! Don't you just love the feeling you have when you crush a Mashie right where you want to. It is one of the best feelings in golf to me.

TC, I am glad you had some great success with the Mashie yesterday! Don't you just love the feeling you have when you crush a Mashie right where you want to. It is one of the best feelings in golf to me.

It really might be one of the better feeling golf clubs when you catch one pure! I like holding my finish, watching the ball fly!

It really might be one of the better feeling golf clubs when you catch one pure! I like holding my finish, watching the ball fly!

I know that feeling. The only problem is you get tired of holding the finish, because the ball goes on forever it seems.

That is the best feeling. The sound, the ball flight, the result. Gives you such a high

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Like I had said in an earlier post, I like the sound and feel especially after I hit a poor driver or had a bad previous hole. It picks you right back up and gets you back in a positive mood.

I found myself hitting the M1 probably more then any club in my bag Sunday. It was like a FW finder for me. It was so windy I didnt really pay attention to distances but I know if I didnt get too quick and pull it left, the M1 was usually in the short grass. The Mashie is just a confidence inspiring club. I had no problem hitting the M3 onto a par 5 green and all day just enjoyed hitting Mashie, even if it was 210 or more. Mashie M3 or 4 iron? Give me Mashie all day.

I found myself hitting the M1 probably more then any club in my bag Sunday. It was like a FW finder for me. It was so windy I didnt really pay attention to distances but I know if I didnt get too quick and pull it left, the M1 was usually in the short grass. The Mashie is just a confidence inspiring club. I had no problem hitting the M3 onto a par 5 green and all day just enjoyed hitting Mashie, even if it was 210 or more. Mashie M3 or 4 iron? Give me Mashie all day.

Kevin, are you finding the M1 just as easy to hit as the others? Is it comming around with some practice?

Mashie all day, every day man. It was great to see all of us hitting Mashie, Mashie, short iron/wedge into the green. Well except for G4L where he's hitting Mashie, Mashie, putter but he was playing a different game than us on sunday

Kevin, are you finding the M1 just as easy to hit as the others? Is it comming around with some practice?

I actually am finding it pretty easy to hit. Not as easy as the M3 but thats to be expected being the M1 is 15*. Im very happy with it up to this point. It was straighter then my 3W and I bet almost as long.

Mashie all day, every day man. It was great to see all of us hitting Mashie, Mashie, short iron/wedge into the green. Well except for G4L where he's hitting Mashie, Mashie, putter but he was playing a different game than us on sunday

Yeah thats for sure. Nothing like being 3 clubs longer then everyone else lol.

I have been more and more impressed with Cleveland clubs. Swapped out a 52* vokey for a CG15 and it was like night and day. So much easier to hit full and half shots. Picked up a M4 last week and was able to get a couple rounds in with it. I have always played TM hybrids and even tried out the Adams superhybrid. This one just feels better to me. First shot was a 200 yard par 3 with a little back wind. First time I have ever hit the green on this hole. Actually got a nice little draw on the ball. I have been using this club on every par 4 that is shorter than 420yds or so. I was considering picking up an M5 but doesnt 3* seem too small of a gap between clubs?

not at all....think about that 3* gaps when it comes to wedges. That kind of seperation is acceptable I would think, go for it if it works for your needs
I have been more and more impressed with Cleveland clubs. Swapped out a 52* vokey for a CG15 and it was like night and day. So much easier to hit full and half shots. Picked up a M4 last week and was able to get a couple rounds in with it. I have always played TM hybrids and even tried out the Adams superhybrid. This one just feels better to me. First shot was a 200 yard par 3 with a little back wind. First time I have ever hit the green on this hole. Actually got a nice little draw on the ball. I have been using this club on every par 4 that is shorter than 420yds or so. I was considering picking up an M5 but doesnt 3* seem too small of a gap between clubs?

not at all....think about that 3* gaps when it comes to wedges. That kind of seperation is acceptable I would think, go for it if it works for your needs

True. True. I was actually worried that the M5 would go to far:curl-lip: Not the worst problem to have. I guess I will just have to buy one and try it out.

**real time Mashie update**

Par 5 second shot with 215 to the pin? M4 got that to 12 feet.

GET YO' MASHIE ON!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've tested a few hybrids lately. Latest to strike themselves off the list are the TM superfast and rescue. I so wanted to swing the Mashie, but they only had it in R flex.

Am I just in denial and should order one anyway? :D

Flex-wise, how does the shaft play? Could anyone compare against, say, the Motore F1 X Flex in my 3w? Choosing a flex and weight would be the most difficult thing about ordering one without testing them all.

I've developed a little Tiger like flip with the club. I'm hitting this so well off the tee box I just give the little twirl and pick up my tee. Of course I looked like an idiot when I did that and the ball duck hooked into the woods. But the other 4 times I looked money!!

Well, I had the opportunity to range a 20.5 Mashie 59g Stiff against my 19* A7, a 20* i15 with the same avixvore shaft as my A7, and the new titleist 910 in 21*. The Mashie was undeniably longer than the other hybrids -- anywhere from 10-15 yards more even when it was up against a lower lofted hybrid. It was easy distance, high and long. However, I don't think it's the hybrid for my game; at least not in the 59g shaft. It had the worst dispersion of the group for me by a large margin, especially left. My A7 and the I15 were online, shot after shot. The 910 was also straight and but a hotter face than the A7 & I15. The trajectory was much also higher for the Mashie and that isn't what I'm typically looking for from a hybrid. I really like the "stinger" 3 iron hybrid shot as well as punches and rescue shots. I loved the feel but the shaft was simply too light for me and I'm not a fast swinging or quick-tempo'd player. All of the other hybrids were around 80-85 grams and I think that's a better weight for me. I'd love to get my hands on an 83g Mashie to test because I loved the head shape -- it looks like a dreamer from the rough or a fairway bunker -- and I've been known to stray into those locations from time to time!

hahaha, thanks for the ego boost, but I needed the mashie to be long because my drives were kinda blah. Still my favorite shot of the day was the "assaulted" niblick to pin high on 18.

I've tested a few hybrids lately. Latest to strike themselves off the list are the TM superfast and rescue. I so wanted to swing the Mashie, but they only had it in R flex.

Am I just in denial and should order one anyway? :D

Flex-wise, how does the shaft play? Could anyone compare against, say, the Motore F1 X Flex in my 3w? Choosing a flex and weight would be the most difficult thing about ordering one without testing them all.

Well, I play a Motore X Flex in my driver, and I'm having good success with the C. Kua 59 X flex in my 2 mashies. I'd say the X flex is "stouter" in the mashie than the Motore, but I'm not having any trouble getting it airborn. I also hit the Stiff flex at the outing, and didn't have any issues controlling that club either from my somewhat limited exposure.

Well, I play a Motore X Flex in my driver, and I'm having good success with the C. Kua 59 X flex in my 2 mashies. I'd say the X flex is "stouter" in the mashie than the Motore, but I'm not having any trouble getting it airborn. I also hit the Stiff flex at the outing, and didn't have any issues controlling that club either from my somewhat limited exposure.

Thanks g4l, that helps me out. I'm pretty sure a fitting would throw up the S flex shaft, but I do like the performance of the X in the 3w and driver. So, my head is somewhere in between the 2! Starting to think I can't go wrong with either one though!

Thanks g4l, that helps me out. I'm pretty sure a fitting would throw up the S flex shaft, but I do like the performance of the X in the 3w and driver. So, my head is somewhere in between the 2! Starting to think I can't go wrong with either one though!

I've got xstiff in my woods as well paulo, but went with Stiff flex in the Mashie and it's plenty stout enough. You may flight it too high but that's never a bad thing with a hybrid. If you need a lower ball flight, get the xstiff. I never recommend golf clubs without trying them first but you'll love this hybrid. Everything about it is just good!

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I've got xstiff in my woods as well paulo, but went with Stiff flex in the Mashie and it's plenty stout enough. You may flight it too high but that's never a bad thing with a hybrid. If you need a lower ball flight, get the xstiff. I never recommend golf clubs without trying them first but you'll love this hybrid. Everything about it is just good!

hmmm, my usual ball flight is low to mid anyway, so that gets me thinking that the stiff might be a good option. Just trying to guard against encouraging my usual bad shot of left and low!

I'm seriously considering just pulling the trigger on the M2, without even swinging it. That's not my usual play!

hmmm, my usual ball flight is low to mid anyway, so that gets me thinking that the stiff might be a good option. Just trying to guard against encouraging my usual bad shot of left and low!

I'm seriously considering just pulling the trigger on the M2, without even swinging it. That's not my usual play!

I would think that if it's too stiff then the lefterly shots would be worse. I can't blame you for pulling the trigger bro.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

I would think that if it's too stiff then the lefterly shots would be worse. I can't blame you for pulling the trigger bro.

Only for you my man! :wink: With a shaft a little too stiff, for me, it would encourage a fade....as long as I can get the ball in the air. I don't think the X would be prohibitive in that respect, but I'd rather hit it higher, so the S might just edge it out.
I'm starting to see it as a win-win situation. If (when?) it works, all the credit goes to the testers on THP. If for some reason it doesn't, I'll get my money's worth of calling you guys out! :D

hahaha, thanks for the ego boost, but I needed the mashie to be long because my drives were kinda blah. Still my favorite shot of the day was the "assaulted" niblick to pin high on 18..

I'm making that phrase into a t-shirt! That was such an awesome shot to end the day.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Ohhhh look what showed up at work today, it took a long time but it was worth every second.

IMG00019-20110316-1235.jpg

IMG00020-20110316-1235.jpg

IMG00021-20110316-1236.jpg

Back