LIVE UPDATE THREAD 2019 The Grandaddy with Callaway Golf

I think I’m the only one who ended up the steel fibers. The first few swings, they felt a little different to me than the Elevate 95s I was playing, BUT I adjusted pretty quickly and hit some great 8 and 9 irons, launching them quite high. I saw better spin numbers with this combo than I did with my Apex/Elevate set, and those demos had not even been weakened like my final set had.

Steelfiber's are great shafts and it sounds like they are a good fit for your swing. A guy I play with a few times a year plays Steelfiber's in his irons and he routinely shoots 72 or better.

Just landed and all the luggage made it. Will have to do a further inspection when I get home to see if it made it all in one piece

finally made it home with an amazing surprise waiting for me. A welcome home sign that my kids made for me. What a fantastic way to end the trip!

47820CC0-6A42-4043-B661-DA4403CAF591.jpeg

I am mentally and physically exhausted. This trip has been everything and more. I am blown away by Callaway and THP For this amazing opportunity. Thank you @JB, @JasonFinleyCG and the whole zoo crew team for giving us the best time of our life.

to my new brothers, I am so fortunate to have met you guys and share this journey with you. We all clicked so well and hit the ground running like we were best friends. The laughs, the banter, and the memories will be cherished forever. I can’t wait to hit the links with you all again soon.

now, I’m gonna enjoy this cold beer, tell my wife and kids the amazing stories that happened and crash for the night.

Thank you THP for being an awesome audience supporting and cheering us on. You guys were amazing! I can’t wait to share more photos and tell you more in the coming days.

finally made it home with an amazing surprise waiting for me. A welcome home sign that my kids made for me. What a fantastic way to end the trip!

View attachment 8917900

I am mentally and physically exhausted. This trip has been everything and more. I am blown away by Callaway and THP For this amazing opportunity. Thank you @JB, @JasonFinleyCG and the whole zoo crew team for giving us the best time of our life.

to my new brothers, I am so fortunate to have met you guys and share this journey with you. We all clicked so well and hit the ground running like we were best friends. The laughs, the banter, and the memories will be cherished forever. I can’t wait to hit the links with you all again soon.

now, I’m gonna enjoy this cold beer, tell my wife and kids the amazing stories that happened and crash for the night.

Thank you THP for being an awesome audience supporting and cheering us on. You guys were amazing! I can’t wait to share more photos and tell you more in the coming days.

It was so great meeting you @NoShanks

Sitting here in DFW head still spinning from this amazing experience! Huge thanks to @JasonFinleyCG and all the Callaway ZooCrew for welcoming us to the Grandaddy family and truly rolling out the red carpet.

Big shoutout to @JB for all he does and to @McLovin and @mikeg_74 for leading us though this event!

The MVP was a total surprise and an amazing end to the week for me. I hope I represented THP well and made all of you guys proud.

I have competition day recap videos taken but I’m having trouble getting them loaded up at the moment. I’ll have them posted later tonight.

Thanks to all of THP for following along and cheering us on!

Ballers ball Mr. MVP! Thanks for bringing the entire forum along for this ride! This is my 3rd GD to follow since coming to THP with each better than the previous! You guys absolutely killed! Can't wait to see how/what is done next year to top this year! Absolutely incredible follow!

Look, you put up with me for almost 9 months, so those are tears of joy getting rid of me and my emotional attachment to this event.

You killed it dude. You did it your way, with your style and everyone bought into it. From the beginning I told you this is your team and I’m here to make sure you get to experience this event like a participant and not have the “captain” duties take away from your “participant” experience.

I hate the word deserve, but you deserve to be proud of what this team accomplished.
Perfectly stated, Mike. You and @McLovin ham and egged this beyond the level off respect and appreciation this event deserves! You were a dynamic team.

there’s a guy standing next to me waiting to be picked up from the airport. he has an epic forged hat on. a callaway golf bag full of callaway clubs. and i’m just standing here leaning on my ogio travel bag full of PRE RELEASE gear i can’t tell him about! do you know how hard that is??? i could blow that guys mind right now. just grandaddy things...

From an NDA perspective, are you permitted to play these clubs prior to embargo being lifted? Reason I ask is what do you do if one of your playing partners sees them in the bag and asks about them, are you allowed to talk about them?

From an NDA perspective, are you permitted to play these clubs prior to embargo being lifted? Reason I ask is what do you do if one of your playing partners sees them in the bag and asks about them, are you allowed to talk about them?
We are under embargo, we have alternate headcovers to use until it is lifted, and we have to use our discretion. We are allowed to play them, but will be careful of exposure.

I’m curious to hear what you guys thought of the Dye course. There’s a Pete Dye course here in STL called Old Hickory that is in fantastic shape and it’s a great experience but... man, Dye’s design was downright mean. Stuff like putting a waste area that drops 15 feet about 260 out in the fairway and you can’t see it from the tee box at all... lots of hidden hazards and stuff you’d never know unless you’d played there before.
The Dye is definitely harder than The Clive, but not as difficult as other Dye designs like TPC-Louisiana or TPC-Sawgrass. IMO...

View attachment 8917900

love that poster, man. So glad I got to watch you pound a few balls at ECPC, what a swing!

View attachment 8917900

We enjoyed watching you shred the course up my man. You were avg sweater addition to this year's team. Tell the wife and kids we says thanks for letting use borrow you.
Also, I wouldn't advise bringing your clubs to bed with you the first night. I'd wait a week or so. Trust me!

i’m terrible remembering hole numbers, but i think it was 18 on the clive. it’s a super long hole, with an elevated green that has trouble everywhere. i had a sidehill lie with the ball below my feet. i has 5w from like 220 adjusted and hit a high cut onto the green for a birdie look inside 20’. it was phenomenal by my standards.

That shot was filthy ? I shot that number at 213 back left flagstick, uphill a club, decent rain while we waited forever for green to clear, wet fairway, slight hurt wind, hanging downslope lie with a fairway wood. Playing more than 223. I was standing up on the right hill with Mike thinking “If this gets 10 feet in the air, goes anywhere, and stays out of the right lake, it would be a tremendous shot”. How about a soaring 10 yard cut that lands soft and releases left to right towards that pin and settles in. Lars was already up on the green. When I got there to mark and clean it, I asked Lars, “What the hell was that???” ?? Pete had same shot a flat lie right after, I won’t say where his went ??‍♂️???
I used to be a member here on an old email. I made a new one to watch your vids and read the banter. What a great event you guys have going here. I have looped 100s of these team type events. They tend to be so corny and devolve into such petty tactics and 18hcp guys pulling out rule books on each other. Makes me want to walk back to my car and be done with it (especially in rain ha). This event was the perfect blend of relaxing fun, but with a real desire to be competitive and take each shot seriously. I’ve read this thread for about 3 hours now. Saw your speech at Al’s house and realized why you guys have so much respect for each other on the grass. Also, really cool to see the new products in action from guys with different swings and speeds. Some wedge shots in wet conditions were very impressive. From wet bunkers to thin wet fairways. Fairway woods had nice pop to them. Saw a few super hybrid shots from wet rough and off the tee that were very impressive from higher handicappers. Luckily, you all had new cool putters I could blame my bad reads on. “Must be your new putter cuz that one always goes left” ??‍♂️ My lips are sealed on the equipment, but cool stuff. Hope you enjoyed our tracks and thanks for taking care of us caddies. We appreciate the work. Lord knows the members weren’t gonna play in that crap weather Wednesday. You guys saved us.
Kekoa “K” ??

That shot was filthy ? I shot that number at 213 back left flagstick, uphill a club, decent rain while we waited forever for green to clear, wet fairway, slight hurt wind, hanging downslope lie with a fairway wood. Playing more than 223. I was standing up on the right hill with Mike thinking “If this gets 10 feet in the air, goes anywhere, and stays out of the right lake, it would be a tremendous shot”. How about a soaring 10 yard cut that lands soft and releases left to right towards that pin and settles in. Lars was already up on the green. When I got there to mark and clean it, I asked Lars, “What the hell was that???” ?? Pete had same shot a flat lie right after, I won’t say where his went ??‍♂️???
I used to be a member here on an old email. I made a new one to watch your vids and read the banter. What a great event you guys have going here. I have looped 100s of these team type events. They tend to be so corny and devolve into such petty tactics and 18hcp guys pulling out rule books on each other. Makes me want to walk back to my car and be done with it (especially in rain ha). This event was the perfect blend of relaxing fun, but with a real desire to be competitive and take each shot seriously. I’ve read this thread for about 3 hours now. Saw your speech at Al’s house and realized why you guys have so much respect for each other on the grass. Also, really cool to see the new products in action from guys with different swings and speeds. Some wedge shots in wet conditions were very impressive. From wet bunkers to thin wet fairways. Fairway woods had nice pop to them. Saw a few super hybrid shots from wet rough and off the tee that were very impressive from higher handicappers. Luckily, you all had new cool putters I could blame my bad reads on. “Must be your new putter cuz that one always goes left” ??‍♂️ My lips are sealed on the equipment, but cool stuff. Hope you enjoyed our tracks and thanks for taking care of us caddies. We appreciate the work. Lord knows the members weren’t gonna play in that crap weather Wednesday. You guys saved us.
Kekoa “K” ??
This is such a freaking great post. ?

Kekoa “K” ??

In almost 200 pages of post, this one is OUT FREAKING STANDING. That a looper would take the time to come in and read up on this event, and then take the time to sign up and post.... Well done K and well done to all you guys/gals that knocked it dead like Mclovin did with the 5 wood.

Kekoa “K” ??
K! Awesome to see you jump in here man. You and your team did a fantastic job.

Kekoa “K” ??

Thanks for showing us around all day during singles! I know myself, @jeffneubarth, @TylerSheanCG, and @NoShanks don’t compare to your loop for “The Dream” but we hope you had an entertaining day!

Kekoa “K” ??

my dude k!!!!! man it is so freaking good to know you’re reading this. i had so much fun with you dude. it would be a genuine treat if our paths cross again. thank you for everything you did for us this week!!!

K! Awesome to see you jump in here man. You and your team did a fantastic job.

Yesterday morning when Lars and I were heading to the Day 2 first tee. We saw former Oregon Ducks, Kentucky Wildcats, and LA Rams coach Rich Brooks. He owns the first house on right side of #3 Clive. Number one handicap long par 4. I said “Mr Brooks, were you home yesterday morning, cuz one of my players blasted a drive so hard off your tile roof. It hit so hard that it almost bounced all the way back over the lake to the fairway. About 50 yards left it bounced” He just shook his head and said “Who do I send the bill too?” That would have been the craziest FIR I’ve ever witnessed. Chris, not to be outdone, hit his drive onto Mr. Brooks’ patio also. Then I had you and Chris drop 235 yards out in rain (shamble). I thought you were laying up to a number on a par 4 already hitting 3. So I just started walking to green without looking thinking.... LAME!! To my surprise a towering iron comes sizzling over me to the right fringe about 225 in air and bites. ?Don’t recall what irons you fitted for, but they are toasty with nice high flight. I think it was only a 5 iron!!! ??‍♂️ Stay warm in Minnesota. Take care ??

So what was everyone’s favorite piece of equipment? Something that you think is really going to make an impact on your game this year.

The xforged UT is something I’ve never had in my bag and it’s definitely a favorite already along with the new hybrid, cant

I remember a photo revealing 5 tee boxes. Which set did you all play ?

Set 2 which is about 6400 yards for each

Absolutely we’re gonna play them, ? were gonna game the hell of out them but we certainly have to be careful about it. We will have to protect both Callaway and our clubs to be sure things don’t get out.

Kekoa “K” ??
This is awesome K. Thanks for helping our guys our this week. Tell Rafe and Will thanks from all of us!

Back