Spikes or Spikeless - Defend

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Most people don't bounce back and forth, but rather have one preference and take it pretty seriously.

Are you a spike player or a spikeless player?
Would you switch on a whim?
Is there one style that is superior to all?

Go back three/four years ago and I would be all about spikes and spikes only. However, spikeless has come a long way and I have a hard time telling the difference between a good spikeless pair and a good spiked pair.

Soft spikes, and I don’t switch. I much prefer the added grip and confidence on damp terrain. I feel that designs have changed so much that you can have a very comfortable shoe and still have spikes.

I'm 100% spikeless. More comfortable, good traction. I walk the Par 3 a lot, so they are better for walking. I do want to get a good pair of spikes for bad weather though.

I definitely can push off better with spikes and when playing, much prefer them. When practicing, spikeless is fine. When it is muddy, I prefer spikeless, because I don’t like cleaning out the spikes. Thus, I have both and each has its use.

Last edited:
Given the preference I’ll take spikeless. Recently I would have said Puma has the best shoe out, but Cuater has a great option that many will love.

If the ground is really wet or slick I’ll wear my spiked shoes.

Subscribed - I wear spikes and have never tried spikeless because I prefer the extra (perceived?) security. I also like that the grip can be refreshed... seems like spikeless once the nubs start to wear the shoes might be shot.

spikes for me. I tried spikeless for about a half season - they didn't cut it in the early morning, dew-covered grass.

ymmv

Since I bought the Puma NXT Ig-Nite Disc, I've had no problems with slippage. They are very comfortable with good support and since I walk most the time that's important.
So I'm happy with this spikeless shoe. So much so I bought another pair.

It makes pretty much no difference to me on the course. If it's wet out I'm more likely to wear spiked but even then I have a couple pair of spikeless that I've never slipped in.

With that said I like the versatility of spikeless so I can go straight from the course and hip replacement in to the car without needing to change.

Soft spikes, and I don’t switch. I much prefer the added grip and confidence on damp terrain. I feel that designs have changed so much that you can have a very comfortable shoe and still have spikes.

Same. I have pretty active feet in my swing and the spikeless have never given me the same level of grip that spikes have.

Before I moved to AZ, I would not have considered spikeless. Spikeless is all I wear now and have come a long way since the late 90’s ;)

In Idaho when we were playing in the rain, I slipped once and I think spikes would have been handy. But spikeless are more comfortable and less hassle and I doubt I will ever go back to spikes unless I move to a different climate.

Most of my rounds are in early morning dew - have always worn spikes. I think I am going to dabble with a spikeless pair To go from work to course for twilight practice/holes this year.

I prefer spiked because I can replace the worn spikes and the shoe is as good as new. For example, I have a pair of Mizuno saddles that are from the spike transition era. I bought them with metal spikes installed and soft spikes in the box. Every season I change out the soft spikes and I have "new" shoes.

To be fair, ever since I was ruined by THP and began wearing shorts while golfing I have purchased both spiked and spikeless shoes of a more athletic style to go with shorts.

Strong preference for “spiked.” I “feel” like I have more traction and am much less likely to have a foot slip. With spikeless, I don’t feel as connected to the ground and have noticed that my right foot slips at times.

I love my Nike spikeless shoes but they look to have more grip than traditional spikeless shoes. Haven't noticed a difference between those and my spiked shoes

I'm a spikes only player. I like how they feel during the swing and I play in the wet all the time.

One exception: I like the Vapor blade system in dry conditions.

Spikeless. I have been wearing them for about 5 years and have no issues with them.

I prefer spikeless but don't mind wearing spikes when needed.

I am one of the few that go back and forth. It’s solely based on course conditions. I love spikeless.....when it’s only slightly damp or a bit of dew, or dry. I don’t feel like spikeless is even meant for damp or soft and potentially rainy conditions. Yes, they’re more comfortable in most cases buttttttt.....

Spiked shoes simply provide more and better traction in every single condition. So, if there’s even a remote chance of rain, or if it rained in the previous couple of days, or is damp, soft etc etc etc.....I’ll wear spikes. I grew up playing in soft spikes, I’m used to them, they’re practical, they last longer and certainly provid for better water protection. I’m the anomaly.

Last edited:
I prefer spiked shoes, just from a longevity standpoint plus I like the styles more for those shoes.
I feel like I slip a little more in spikeless shoes than spikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spikes if you can call them that these days. What’s to defend?

Well I have both and wear them both but it really depends on my attire. I try to match shoes with what shirt/shorts I’m wearing because look good play.... ok.

I have always worn spikes. For the last few years I consider spike less when getting new shoes but can never seem to pull the trigger.

Every year I get a little closer so this may be the year to try them out

Back