Callaway MAVRIK Irons

Anything in the works for a black option?

I have no clue and didn't think to ask. I can reach out and see if that's in the works, hang tight.

The pro for sub 1000 is amazing. I do want to try these out against my epic forged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really exciting to see them add AI to irons, and a specific shape and characteristics for each iron to fill that club's needs for the player? Outstanding! Seriously didn't expect this price point to be where the first AI irons would be at, but happy to see it. These will sell very very well, especially given 3 options alongside the rest of the MAVRIK lines.

Incredible information in that writeup @McLovin and I'm blown away by the price. I look forward to your continuing reviews as you get more rounds in with these. They nailed the looks, performance, and price. I think this will be a strong lineup for Callaway!

Last edited:
I did not get fit into these clubs as they were way too long for me haha. I was hitting the pro 7 iron and it was going over 200.

they felt great and look a lot better in person super stable and consistent with the dispersion. I was blown away at the price point especially for all the tech in it.

Great info and great reviews everyone.

The irons look a little big for my normal visual comfort zone but perhaps that will be different when I see them in hand. If true, it makes sense given these are the line that’s “for the masses” (ie Rogue replacement). That aside, the back sides of the clubs look really good to me for this class of iron.

The tech story here looks to be pretty remarkable. I think it can be easy to just get past it quickly. In an era when all of us say everyone copies from others, here we have 3 sets where every single club has its own unique AI designed face. Add to that a really nice price point. Pretty darn impressive release, IMO.

The pro for sub 1000 is amazing. I do want to try these out against my epic forged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I only have the Epic Forged 4 iron. But, they feel very different between the two sets. I would expect the Mavrik Pro irons to be a little shorter than Epic Forged. But, I would be surprised if it was by much. Probably a little lower launch with maybe a touch more spin.

I know @HarryPotter tested both during the fitting. He may be able to get more specific.

After reading the reviews by @radiman and @McLovin, I don't know how much I can add on the Mavrik Pro irons, but I'm going to try anyway because these are essentially my dream irons.

First, a little background. I'm a low handicap player, but my distance is pretty average. Probably on the low end for my handicap. It's been increasing somewhat lately, but I don't carry my driver 300 like @radiman and @NoShanks. So I tend to rely on hitting greens, which means that I need irons that are consistent. I tend to hit the ball in the center of the club face the majority of the time, so I don't mind a small profile without much offset. But, for the most part, I haven't been able to play those clubs much. Every time I've switched to (or even tested) a forged, player's style-iron, I've lost enough distance that I've ended up switching back to my trusty old XR Pros. Nobody is going to confuse those with buttery blades, but they've worked pretty well for me. Because, let's be honest, hitting a 7 iron consistently isn't all that awesome when it's going 15-20 yards short of what you're used to.

So the bottom line with irons for me is that I'm looking for something in that "player's distance" category that is for the most part an illusion. People who want player's clubs don't usually need any extra distance and people who need extra distance usually can't handle the player's profile. But, for me, these fit the bill perfectly.

I'll start with the profile. To my eye, they are really, really good. Is the top line as thin as a blade? No. But it's pretty damn thin. And the offset is significantly less than my XR Pros. For comparison to something more recent, I agree with @radiman that it may even be less than the Apex Pros. Whatever the technical measurements, there is not much offset and it looks really good.

Next, feel. I think feel is always kind of a funny thing because, not only does it tie in with sound, it's really personal and depends on the quality of strike. Objectively though, the XR Pros could feel like you were hitting rocks at times, even on good shots. Not so with the Mavrik Pros. The combination of all the tech makes for a very solid, but soft-feeling club. Again, is it going to be the same as a pure strike with a forged MB? No. But for a non-forged club, it feels amazing. Even if you think you can only play forged clubs, you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't at least give these a try.

On to performance. I haven't been able to test to see exactly what I've picked up in terms of ball speed or carry, but these are definitely longer for me. Which I like. A lot. When I've played in CA in the past, I've always been about 1/2 to a full club shorter in the irons. The first day at Hideaway was tough to judge because the weather was so bad. But in the warm weather the second day, I played these at exactly the distance I'd play at home. And since I've been home and hit them in the simulator, good swings are noticeably longer. For example, a stock 7 iron for me is about 165 and the simulator I use reflects that. The other day, I carried one 177 on what seemed to be a pretty easy swing.

I know some people will take that info, look directly to lofts and think, "well, no wonder - you're not hitting a 6-iron, not a 7-iron." I'm not as well-versed in the tech side of things as some of my Grandaddy teammates, but my response would be not to jump to conclusions. With modern irons, lofts are lower because they need to be based on where the center of gravity is in the club. I certainly don't hit my 7 iron like 6 iron or a 5 iron. It spins in the 7000 range and flies high. In fact, John wanted the irons lofted down 1 degree to keep my spin from getting to high with them. So these are some sort of low-launching, low-spinning distance iron, at least for me.

Speaking of flight, these irons also seem really workable to me. I hit some really towering shots in CA, even with the longer irons. But I was also able to hit really short irons with a really boring trajectory too.

All around, I can't say enough good things about the irons so far. I'm excited to get them on the course and really be able to give a lot more feedback when it warms up outside. In Montana, that could just as easily mean February or April. In the meantime, I'm happy to answer any questions and will try to get in a simulator as often as possible.

I hope you have success with your new Max Irons.

Thanks. Long term, if they're anything like I saw at the ECPC, I'll be a happy camper.

The irons look a little big for my normal visual comfort zone but perhaps that will be different when I see them in hand.
Initially looking down you do see the offset, but when you look up at where the ball is headed, or in my case,not headed, any concerns go out the window pretty quick.

Here is a few photos of Mavrik Standard vs Srixon z545 head shapes. 7 iron vs 7 iron

Mav is left
1579023910705.jpeg

1579023975040.jpeg

Mav is bottom
1579024051285.jpeg

1579024125837.jpeg

1579024185512.jpeg

I need to see the offset numbers. The pic at Callaway makes it seem like quite the offset on the pros.

someone please post a pic with the pro next to the apex pro 16 or 19

I like the in hand pictures a lot better, great write ups so far. Callaway sent me an email offering the 50% trade bonus, ha, ha the EPIC Flash TD is worth $160. Not unexpected at all.
I have asked if the KBS TGI 110 can be put in even at an upcharge, no answer as of yet. But i could have them built at CC and still be a bit cheaper than the Mizuno they quoted with a lot more tech.

Did anyone go with the Max irons ?

I need to see the offset numbers. The pic at Callaway makes it seem like quite the offset on the pros.

The offset numbers are available on Callaway's website. Just click on "Specs" for whichever clubs you want to look at. It appears the Mav Pros are just slightly more offset than the Apex Pro 19 in some clubs, but identical in others. Here's a breakdown:

4 iron - Mav Pro is 3.8, Apex Pro is 3.4
5 iron - Mav Pro is 3.4, Apex Pro is 3.2
6 iron - Identical (both 3.0)
7 iron - Identical (both 2.8)
8 iron - Identical (both 2.5)
9 iron - Mav Pro is 2.4, Apex Pro is 2.2
PW - Mav Pro is 2.3, Apex Pro is 1.9

I don't have Apex Pro to photograph against, but I can take some pictures of the Mav Pro if you'd like. To my eye, the offset is pretty minimal.

mavpro.png

I ultimately did not get fit into a set of Mavrik irons, but I would be shocked if the Mav Pros were not major sellers for Callaway. The tech, looks, and feel at that price point is amazing.

(You may wonder how I know about the "feel." I accidentally grabbed @radiman's 8i for a shot out of the rough and put a decent strike on it considering I was swinging a shaft way to stout for me.)

Here you go. I was planning on taking some pics to address just that at lunch. I am only home for a few minutes. So, if there is something else you'd like to see, let me know and I will see what I can do. Apex Pro 2016 is on the left.

IMG_0774.JPG
IMG_0777.JPG
IMG_0778.JPG
IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0781.JPG

excellent reviews saved content everyone! I’m just starting to work mg way through the threads. Very easy to see why you were all excited about the new line.

@tomcat did but they were low on inventory so he doesn’t have them yet

correct. and to tide him over, they gave him a set of epic forged to noodle around with at the hideaway. un-flurking-believable what Callaway does for us.

For those that didn’t read the homepage article or see it articulated enough by the Grandaddy guys...

ahem...

EVERY SINGLE LOFT IN ALL THREE SETS HAS A UNIQUE AI FACE.

Now TELL ME that isn’t revolutionary thinking?

For those that didn’t read the homepage article or see it articulated enough by the Grandaddy guys...

ahem...

EVERY SINGLE LOFT IN ALL THREE SETS HAS A UNIQUE AI FACE.

Now TELL ME that isn’t revolutionary thinking?

this is one of those things that when they said, the mic dropped. we all looked at each other like "ho. ly. SH1T."

...except @j_sizzle9 who hilariously asked @DNevsCG on one of the bus rides if Callaway would ever consider using ai in an iron face. oh man did the zoo crew give nevs some serious crap for his presentation after that lmao

I’m not necessarily in love with the way the regular and max look, but those pros look pretty good. Very very good move choosing to forego the orange on those.

Back