Would HS boys beat LPGA pros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a truly silly thread this is.

Warroad. https://www.espn.com/olympics/news/story?id=2281644

It was actually 2-1. As I recall this year Warroad was not as good as they usually are.

Think about this everyone. An area HS of boys (NOT an all star team) of beat THE best women on the planet, even after they had to alter their game (not check) to play them.

I would bet just average HS (#1 or #2) would probably beat the average LPGA player.

That happened in 2006. There is a difference between an exhibition game and an actual competitive game.

An LPGA player would dog walk a men's -5. Hell, I don't know if a scratch golfer could hang with an LPGA player. In fact, I wish I could find the thread, a few years ago a couple of LPGA players played @JB and another really good THPer and smoked them.

This question was so damn stupid.

It would take the junior Presidents Cup Team of under 19 high school golfers to compete with an average LPGA player. From 7000 yards the boys would have a good chance at victory but why are we doing this comparison?

A better comparison would be can a top 10 amateur teenage boys golfer beat a LPGA tour player. Say Nelly Korda vs the best HS boys player Jason Leasure

My daughter plays D1 soccer and know for a fact a national ranked U15 boys club soccer team can easily defeat the US WNT by 4 to 5 goals.

Last edited:
You can't compare all these sports together. Individually they are not the same and require a different set of skills to be successful.

Also to your WTA reference....I've got Serena Williams on line 1 asking when her match with the best HS boy will take place....She would destroy him.

now I would argue the best HS tennis player (who just committed to Baylor) would beat Serena. He's ranked about 260 in the world and won a couple matches at the US open last year. but there's not more than a handful that would have a chance.

now I would argue the best HS tennis player (who just committed to Baylor) would beat Serena. He's ranked about 260 in the world and won a couple matches at the US open last year. but there's not more than a handful that would have a chance.

I’ll take my chances with Serena....

I’ll take my chances with Serena....

Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[56] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple of bottles of ice cold lager".[57][56] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[58] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two shandies. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[56] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun"[59] and that the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier and put spin on the ball that female players can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.[56]

It wouldn't even be close. Comparing it to hockey or other sports that are based on physical strength (even without body checking) is just dumb. Of course the 18 yr old boys are faster and more explosive skaters. The women are way, way better golfers. Other than a few kids scattered across the country, the best high school golfers in most places are at even par or slightly better. How does that compete with a professional?

Go read this book. It's really funny, and addresses lots of hypotheticals like this thread. amazon link
512f-4Rfu6L._SX333_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Your talking about a male pro beating a female pro, huge difference between that and a high schooler trying to take on a pro. Not even the same argument.

The premise is ludicrous. LPGA by a billion.

Your talking about a male pro beating a female pro, huge difference between that and a high schooler trying to take on a pro. Not even the same argument.

The high schooler I am referring to has played in and won multiple pro tournaments. So it is kinda the same argument. Unique case no doubt, but the best hs tennis player vs serena was mentioned.

The average high school male tennis player, no chance. Similar to the average hs male golfer vs LPGA.

apologies for derail.

The high schooler I am referring to has played in and won multiple pro tournaments. So it is kinda the same argument. Unique case no doubt, but the best hs tennis player vs serena was mentioned.

The average high school male tennis player, no chance. Similar to the average hs male golfer vs LPGA.

apologies for derail.
No derail.
He would be the one prodigy that would compete. It would be the same as the golf there might be 1 out of 50 that could beat an LPGA player.

The lpga website lists 26 golfers for 2020 average drive length. Going back to 2019, there are 158 ladies listed. Of all of these players, none had a drive average below 239.46 yards. The average drive of all 158 ladies is 258.29

That’s not taking into account Ann Van Dam who has driven the ball 350 yards on the LET and I see now playing on the lpga.

I don’t know whether a boys high school team would be close to lpga pros. I do think that the lpga pros have more refined games and would rely on shot placement and course management over distance. I would think they have more experience playing under pressure.

@baylrballa To be fair, that was also against a 17-year old Serena and an 18-year old Venus. So in this case it was a male Pro Tennis player against two high school age female players.

Hockey and golf are obviously two completely different in every way..... OP suggests this HS was a run of mill HS hockey team (no way Olympic team is playing a run of the mill HS in the first place, down year or not)...... This would be like asking a run of the mill HS basketball team could beat a WNBA all-star team.... no way, but a nationally recognized team like St. Anthony's Jersey City, or IMG National HS team that has 15 D1 players, the answer to me would be yes.... athletic ability alone is a HUGE factor....

Golf nobody is displaying their skating ability or speed to the puck....

No chance a random HS golf team beats LPGA pros...

You can't compare all these sports together. Individually they are not the same and require a different set of skills to be successful.

Also to your WTA reference....I've got Serena Williams on line 1 asking when her match with the best HS boy will take place....She would destroy him.
Yeah the tennis reference was a head scratcher. ?

This is laughable.

An average High School Golfer would get OBLITERATED by an LPGA Player.

Maybe the Top 10 in the country would have a chance.. Maybe

@baylrballa To be fair, that was also against a 17-year old Serena and an 18-year old Venus. So in this case it was a male Pro Tennis player against two high school age female players.
that's true. I honestly don't know who would win. I just thought it was an oddly demonstrative statement that serena would "destroy" the #1 high school player.

This is laughable.

An average High School Golfer would get OBLITERATED by an LPGA Player.

Maybe the Top 10 in the country would have a chance.. Maybe

The mistake we are all making here is the other sports you are comparing are exactly that, sports. Anything you can compete at while smoking a cigar is not a sport, but a game.:p

I am really surprised this is a question. A professional woman in most sports would beat an HS player almost every time. Especially, if you are talking about one of the best in her sport.

I coached HS Tennis a long time ago, and we had a ranked state player on our team. Serena would beat him 6-0, 6-0. The 260 ranked man would lose to Serena probably 7 or 8 out of 10 times. He would have to catch Serena on a bad day. You talking about a 17-year old that hasn't had his body mature yet in most cases.

I am really surprised this is a question. A professional woman in most sports would beat an HS player almost every time. Especially, if you are talking about one of the best in her sport.

I coached HS Tennis a long time ago, and we had a ranked state player on our team. Serena would beat him 6-0, 6-0. The 260 ranked man would lose to Serena probably 7 or 8 out of 10 times. He would have to catch Serena on a bad day. You talking about a 17-year old that hasn't had his body mature yet in most cases.

sure, i was responding to a post that it's about most cases though.

I think it's a weird comparison to use team sports vs golf. The basic idea of golf is not built around that which separates women vs men in other sports. If anything, it's one of those perfect equalizers that requires calculated precision to be dominant, with other assets adding to the value of a game.

It's also important to consider that many of these LPGA ladies do with hybrids what we do with wedges. I would be willing to bet that the average length of a high school tournament would be equitable to an LPGA length (if not shorter). Making claims at 7,000+ seem pointless to me.

Thus, it would be a dumpster fire.

The top twenty ranked 14 to 18 year old boys players are better than any LPGA player. Much longer, hit it consistently more solid, shoot lower scores on longer courses etc....However, I doubt many of the top ranked boys juniors even play for their high school team. Some do, but most would rather practice on their own, play individual tournament golf etc...
Most US high school boys golf teams have one or two guys that consistently break 40 for the nine hole matches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back