PGA Tour Responds to Premier Golf League

Do we as content consumers care whether it's the PGA Tour or some other tour if all the big names show up on our television or local courses?

I love the idea of competition, as long as the big events remain in tact (top five, naturally).

Maybe it only matters if you care about the history of golf and the major championships etc. Curious if this adds anything to the back of the players "baseball card" or if they would just be considered friendly matches with a lot of $ on the line.

What else could the Tour do? Is there some way it can co-exist with the PGL?

I know the players have threatened to leave before and the PGA then the Tour have made some concessions. I don't know how it plays out here.

Maybe it only matters if you care about the history of golf and the major championships etc. Curious if this adds anything to the back of the players "baseball card" or if they would just be considered friendly matches with a lot of $ on the line.
That's why my comment included leaving the big Five as is.... Although I'm sure a competitor locally would detract in many ways from this.

Do we as content consumers care whether it's the PGA Tour or some other tour if all the big names show up on our television or local courses?

I love the idea of competition, as long as the big events remain in tact (top five, naturally).
I completely agree! This is what makes the majors and the WGC Events can't miss events...they have strong fields because the top guys play.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hmmmm 54 holes, no cut, guaranteed $$$ .... I think the PGA Tour should be quaking in their golf spikes (y)

I see the PGL appealling to the guys who are in the top 50-100 range...who aren't making big money on tour week in and out, and aren't making big money off their sponsorships/endorsements.

I also see this drawing interest from the Euros as an opportunity to cash in too.

It will all come down to what PGA events the PGL competes against...as an opportunity for $10mil PGL vs. the Byron Nelson or Colonial (local events for me...) would probably go in favor of the PGL event -- and that sucks, but I get it...

Maybe Jordan can win on this tour now? :(

Maybe Jordan can win on this tour now? :(
I know how much that pains you to admit/say.... Is he top 50-100 now....? Pow!

There is no question this announcement is surgical by the players. The new TV deal is going into effect soon and the players who make the tour money are gonna want more money. Is it a shock that the prize money for the Players was just announced?

I think the players are going to go where the money is. Then the TV schedule will go to where the ratings go. Everyday golfers buy the equipment used by the pros on TV. So, you have to follow the money.

If the players will make more money in a new league, I could see them making the switch. However, the new tour would have to be willing to lose A LOT of money in the first set of years. Like probably 5 years to get an actual foothold. There have been many leagues to try and compete against the big boys. Mostly in professional football here in America. That has not worked out well for any of those leagues, and none of them were not in direct conflict.

I am thinking, but don't know enough, that soccer has many leagues that are in direct conflict. I am not sure if the players are generally all in one league or mixed throughout.

I say in my best Liam Nelson voice "Good Luck"

Does anyone else think that the team aspect would be awesome? It could be really fun to not only root for your favorite players but then have a team that you follow and cheer for. If they had free agency and drafts that would just add to it.

Does anyone else think that the team aspect would be awesome? It could be really fun to not only root for your favorite players but then have a team that you follow and cheer for. If they had free agency and drafts that would just add to it.

It could be. The issue is how much depth is necessary to keep attention. If golf is only big if Tiger plays, then what happens when you have Team A starring Scott Stallings vs Team B with Smiley Kauffman? Because the reason team sports works is geography and it is not as if all of the sudden this league will have 32 teams ready for action with home and away games, right?

It could be. The issue is how much depth is necessary to keep attention. If golf is only big if Tiger plays, then what happens when you have Team A starring Scott Stallings vs Team B with Smiley Kauffman? Because the reason team sports works is geography and it is not as if all of the sudden this league will have 32 teams ready for action with home and away games, right?
Agreed. The only way this works at all is if they have recruited a few big names. If they don't advertise with that, how do sponsors even get onboard?!

I agree with this. Each team would need to have at least one or two big names on it to really draw attention. I know the likelihood of that actually happening is really slim but it would be a lot of fun.

I haven't read more into it, but I really wonder whether the funds are sustainable. I wonder how much bloat and excess there is in the PGA Tour's operations that purses this size aren't currently attainable. My point being, could the PGA Tour retool its own model to compete with the purses if that is the only draw?

I agree with this. Each team would need to have at least one or two big names on it to really draw attention. I know the likelihood of that actually happening is really slim but it would be a lot of fun.

I do think geography is one of the reasons team sports work. Team Tennis never took off, because nobody cared that the Sharks were facing off against the Beavers as nobody had a home team ever.

I haven't read more into it, but I really wonder whether the funds are sustainable. I wonder how much bloat and excess there is in the PGA Tour's operations that purses this size aren't currently attainable. My point being, could the PGA Tour retool its own model to compete with the purses if that is the only draw?

The primary backers are rumored to be Softbank and MBS from Saudi Arabia. Funds wont be an issue.

I do think geography is one of the reasons team sports work. Team Tennis never took off, because nobody cared that the Sharks were facing off against the Beavers as nobody had a home team ever.
Yup. It ended up being all tied to the names and/or the format they put in play just for the benefit of the spectators. Fun formats only carry so far.

Can we get some more match play events please?

The primary backers are rumored to be Softbank and MBS from Saudi Arabia. Funds wont be an issue.

the availability of funds may not be an issue, but will the ongoing provision be? there still needs to be enough revenue to support it. maybe the backers give the league a 2- or 3-year leash to start self-sustaining. and maybe the pga tour will still retool to compete, which could be good regardless of whether the league succeeds long-term.

PGA Tour might want to start a marketing blitz~!!
PGA Tour marketing already pales in comparison to the Euro Tour, can’t see them getting better than another Tour with more money ?
I just want the television product to not be utter ****, so hopefully they will change for the better with how this all shakes out.
Ha - see my response above.

I don’t care that it’s PGA Tour Euro Tour PGL if the golf and content is great sign me up.

Why I like Fox’s US Open coverage.

There is no question this announcement is surgical by the players. The new TV deal is going into effect soon and the players who make the tour money are gonna want more money. Is it a shock that the prize money for the Players was just announced?
How much is the Players purse?

The team aspect does intrigue me, I like watching the Zurich, some teams don’t move the needle but Koepka and his brother and some of the others were fun.

Monahan is gonna lose this one.

He has already lost. If this happens and the money is as big as it appears the big names will play those events and the PGA tour will become the alt event. I think competition is good. If they come in with fresh ideas. Fresh locations and a better viewing experience I am game.

The PGA has gotten old and stale. I am not surprised their response was threatening rather than "well we need to innovate and do better" They have zero good ideas.

Has Tiger commented on this? While he is still active, that’s where the viewers will go.

Post-Tiger, the PGA would be ripe for sabotage by a competitor.

Back