NEWS The USGA Distance Insights Project

I love the R&A’s set up. They set it up hard but fair and if the weather is good, the scores are going to be low. If the weather is atrocious, it is going to be higher.

The USGA cut the some of the knee length fescue rough down on 4 holes which made that much easier and Tiger took Pebble apart before the distance was a problem.

I think they should set up a golf course hard but fair and let them all play.
I agree & maybe don’t give an US Open to a course like Erin Hills, that requires wind conditions to defend it...

wow dont know where i fall but per my handy cap its says i max drive 266 and avg 176 and i know i drive about 280 avg i just cant putt

I've put a lot more thought into this today as I pondered the real problems involved with golf and distance.

What I can't get away from, is how dramatically different the amateur experience is from the professional level. I keep coming back to this chart, and I know I've talked a lot about it, but there is one thing about it that sticks with me;

1580941496947.png

The technological advances in the late 90s were dramatic for distance. Throughout the history of the game, when making sweeping changes to the material used to produce a product, you are bound to see big changes. These were apparent in both the tour numbers and the amateur numbers. BUT, and this is a HUGE but; distances in 2000 are almost equitable to distances today between handicap ranges. The average golfer has NOT seen a dramatic increase since the Ti driver and ball change that brought us into the new century of golf ripple effect.

If you look at the tour, however, there are sweeping changes occurring, and they have next to nothing to do with the actual product being used. Athletes are taking over the distance game. Back in the 90s, it was Daly who was above the rest, and anybody willing to believe that Daly was an athlete.. well... I can't really help you. Here's the chart provided by the USGA Distance Report yesterday, cut down dramatically to show only the last 20ish years after the last BIG change to equipment.

1580942471332.png

yeah, an upward trend. I see it too. But these are five yard increments. Let's look at it with the lines in to see how 'dramatic' the increase has been.

1580942725026.png

Is it really that scary, considering the change in the game over the last 20 years from a player/athlete perspective?

After Tiger came on the scene, and the Tiger proofing that occurred, we saw a wave of players cut from a different cloth start to have success. These athletes, with swing speeds that have consistently increased, while maintaining the accuracy that is a necessity in today's tour.. I read something about guys like Rory who started his Tour career with a swing speed of under 110 miles an hour, and now boats speeds of well above 120mph, driven heavily by constant coaching, a rigorous training/lifting regimen, and I would assume lots of swings. Now we have guys like Cameron Champ who already have ridiculous speed despite only being on tour for a couple years, and it leads to the question of what would become of his distance game in the next 10 years. Is he already maxed, or can he take it to another level?

All of this considered, I believe that the player has seen a MUCH bigger change than the equipment in the last 20 years as it relates to distance and Tour play. It's likely why amateur numbers are relatively flat, because we have obligations outside of the game that don't allow us to be in peak physical condition, endlessly practice our game, and swing out of our heads with accuracy.

I've said all this to make a simple point; This game doesn't have a distance problem for the 99% of regular guys playing weekend games with friends. Tee It Forward is still the biggest problem for this game from an amateur perspective.

The 'problem' is athletic tour players maxing out their ability unlike ever before, and products being more accurate than they have ever been, opening the door to swinging at will or at the very least, more aggressively. If change was ever needed at the Tour level, it would have to come at the combination of more creative layouts that force either incredible shaping of the golf ball off the tee, or forced layups. Or, as I've mentioned repeatedly, soften the fairways enough that bounces of more than fifty yards aren't the norm, dramatically increasing the distance players can achieve off the tee.

The last thing I want to see happen, is the tour degrade the value of distance as a skill. As guys like Rory McIlroy and Dustin Johnson have proven, you can be great at something other than putting and achieve success out there.

If the USGA/PGA Tour really want to see distance decrease, forcing players to consider clubs other than driver off the tee might need to be the real solution. Is it time to start considering a smaller head for tour player? 460cc with the forgiveness that is packed into the head nowadays could be why so many of these pros are swinging with so much freedom.

But here on the West Coast you have water shortages. Brown is the new green. They let them get on the firm side. Either that or piss off the environmentalists.

Club specs haven't changed for a number of years. Drivers don't go 5 yds further every year. The G30 will hit the ball just as far as the TM M5 or SIM. It's marketing BS. Sure AI design has made them more forgiving, but does that affect someone who makes center contact 99% of the time? Not really. It affects us. Maybe I noticed a little difference between a 2014 ball and a 2019 ball. Not that much though. Irons have gotten longer by cranking lofts, but that doesn't affect the tour pros who tend to use standard lofts and hit wedges from 150 yds. because they can.

Here's the deal. There are about 150 players that are on TV every week. These people are freaks of nature. They were born with the physical and mental ability to play at that level. The USGA is about to make a decision based upon these 150 players.

Rolling back the equipment? The PGA tour has essentially said they're not changing anything. The USGA only affects the US Open where they dry out the course to insane conditions so that greens roll like your garage floor... and amateur level... and RoG.

Golf manufacturers.... yeah... "This year's driver goes 20 yds shorter than last year! But you'll like it anyway!" No, I don't think that will sell very well.

To the USGA:

How many courses would be impacted by this? I'm talking purely about tour play during tour play week.

Nowhere else out there has a real distance problem. It's fake news.

wow dont know where i fall but per my handy cap its says i max drive 266 and avg 176 and i know i drive about 280 avg i just cant putt
Ah! @snafu ditch that rusty old blade for a New Light Saber

wow dont know where i fall but per my handy cap its says i max drive 266 and avg 176 and I know i drive about 280 avg
Ah! @snafu ditch that rusty old blade for a New Light Saber
I got it last year. When I started putters fine Im the problem lol

wow dont know where i fall but per my handy cap its says i max drive 266 and avg 176 and I know i drive about 280 avg

I got it last year. When I started putters fine Im the problem lol
half the time I feel like im bowling with a stick

How many courses would be impacted by this? I'm talking purely about tour play during tour play week.

As Michael Jordan would say, "It's got to be the Shoes"!:banghead::drinks::snub::drinks:

I'm talking about my solution for tour distance.

The distance averages of amateurs do not validate change, or an upward trend in distance. There is no reason to alter the game.

View attachment 8926729
For the graph you have shown, did they share any information about course conditions as part of driving distance by handicap??
I still believe that part of the solution lies on course set up. Run of the mill tournaments should have rough that is penal; major championships should have rough that is down right penal. Fairway landing areas at driver distances should be choked down and rough is significant so if players choose to hit driver the risk / reward is measurable.... hit it in the rough and most likely lose 1/2 or a full stroke.

It's a handful of courses. Qualification courses for the US Open. For major tournament set up they can let the rough grow out. First cut, fine. Second cut? make it the tall cabbage as they call it. That's all they need to do.

Everywhere else, the distance is a non-problem.

Since we know the manufacturers will not go along with any equipment roll back, what will the USGA do? Set limits on bicep and quadriceps size? Ban physical training? :ROFLMAO:

I'm talking about my solution for tour distance.

The distance averages of amateurs do not validate change, or an upward trend in distance. There is no reason to alter the game.

View attachment 8926729

Well done on the Pod cast, I was able to let it run while i was working today at the office

It's a handful of courses. Qualification courses for the US Open. For major tournament set up they can let the rough grow out. First cut, fine. Second cut? make it the tall cabbage as they call it. That's all they need to do.

Everywhere else, the distance is a non-problem.

Since we know the manufacturers will not go along with any equipment roll back, what will the USGA do? Set limits on bicep and quadriceps size? Ban physical training? :ROFLMAO:
That is the funny part to me. You're not rolling back the last twenty years of innovation, you're rolling back the impact of a real athlete in golf.

Dustin Johnson had some very Dustin Johnson-y insight on the distance debate.....lol

What did Tony Finau say. Sir I promise not to hit my Pitching Wedge 200 yards further :drinks:

When they should be looking at growing the game they are instead considering this nonsense which I truly believe could turn golfers off..

I'm not for a rollback, but the best benefit I see would be to make the Tour events more interesting. Almost every par-4 nowadays is a wedge in on the approach. Almost every par-5 is reachable in two, and not always needing driver off the tee. Players are hitting right over hazards or features that were designed for strategic decision-making. So many par-3s are 200+ yards now. A rollback would bring more variety and decision-making back to the Tour.

They can accomplish the same thing with a RotoTiller and a $3 pack of wildflower seeds starting at the 280 yard mark to about 340. Give them a 5 yard wide stretch of fairway and a hearty “good luck”

They can accomplish the same thing with a RotoTiller and a $3 pack of wildflower seeds starting at the 280 yard mark to about 340. Give them a 5 yard wide stretch of fairway and a hearty “good luck”

How much farther do players hit 30* blades irons than they did 30 years ago? There is absolutely no technology in a blade iron. If they are smoking those 20-30 yards past where they were a few years ago than it's almost all player and ball improvement right? Tiger won 4 strait majors with a ball no one else had. Nick Price almost did the same in the mid 90's.

How much farther do players hit 30* blades irons than they did 30 years ago? There is absolutely no technology in a blade iron. If they are smoking those 20-30 yards past where they were a few years ago than it's almost all player and ball improvement right? Tiger won 4 strait majors with a ball no one else had. Nick Price almost did the same in the mid 90's.

This just isn't true. Materials alone and placement of weight alone can be quite different. Just in the last ten years we have seen most muscle backs in design shift CG towards the center rather than heel. Some have gone with progressive CG by using hosel length. Weight lower, grinds/leading edge differences and a number of others depending on model.

This just isn't true. Materials alone and placement of weight alone can be quite different. Just in the last ten years we have seen most muscle backs in design shift CG towards the center rather than heel. Some have gone with progressive CG by using hosel length. Weight lower, grinds/leading edge differences and a number of others depending on model.
That should all just be tinkering with launch conditions and spreading the area of forgiveness out. A blade face is not hotter now than it was then. Maybe the culprit here is the launch monitor. It has allowed players to figure out exactly how to hit the ball hardest.

This is a long diatribe by the RA & USGA, but do they address the evolution of the modern golfer? Meaning are they looking how athletes train, eat and take better care of their bodies? Do they address how the pros playing golf right now are great athletes in other sports?

I think the distance argument is weak because you are grouping in the entire golfing public based on stats of maybe the top 1% who are pros and have skills many of us will never attain.

I stand firm that we don't have a distance problem or an equipment problem, but a course set up/agronomy problem. The pros are not being tested each week like pros were in years past.

That should all just be tinkering with launch conditions and spreading the area of forgiveness out. A blade face is not hotter now than it was then. Maybe the culprit here is the launch monitor. It has allowed players to figure out exactly how to hit the ball hardest.

Hotter faces have much less to do with distance in irons than people think. Its an internet term. Yes thinning the face of an iron can produce more speed, but ONLY when it combined with certain weighting and other characteristics does it produce more distance. Distance is not speed only, despite what is posted by some websites. Combine that with the part of weight placement, can actually change speed characteristics.

Now this is the part that nobody ever wants to mention and that is impact. Players miss. Even at the highest level they do. Modern tech in clubs has allowed them to miss, including their irons and still get away with distance that was not achievable previously. So where as 10+ years ago finesse had to be done to get away with scoring, bomb and gouge wins. Running at the same parallel is how many tour players are using more forgiveness (especially at the longer side of their bag) and you have a recipe for scores going lower and distances running deep.

Back