Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our doctor has seen another spike in seasonal flu cases since the shut down and in her opinion, the spike could easily wind up killing more Minnesotans than Covid 19. A one size fits all is not the solution. Some counties in MN have no cases or just a few and it seems silly to inflict so much economic damage for so little benefit. The seasonal flu kills 35,000 in the U.S. each year and we go about our daily lives without a second thought or worry about it.

Pretty much. I know it's not the flu, but yeah during flu season people don't think twice about it.

True. I think the low medium high risk idea works best. Definitely feel sick, get home. Feel iffy, use your judgement, and preferrably good judgement. Feel okay, back to work but don't touch or get too close to people. Yes, you have people who are asymptomatic. Well, you don't even know if you have it or not anyway. Be more helpful people, gosh. :alien:

Trusting to people to use their judgement after what we have seen in NY is definitely not the way to go. :ROFLMAO:

Trusting to people to use their judgement after what we have seen in NY is definitely not the way to go. :ROFLMAO:

In a way, it is? New York City people are rude and probably not going to listen to much. Use of best judgement is to pick up the bridges and make them wait everything out since they're children.

The Bradley Corp (providers of washroom products to public facilities) has been tracking handwashing for several years. You can see their high-level summaries here. https://www.bradleycorp.com/handwashing

Lots of people think rinse-and-run qualifies as handwashing...it doesn't.

Our doctor has seen another spike in seasonal flu cases since the shut down and in her opinion, the spike could easily wind up killing more Minnesotans than Covid 19. A one size fits all is not the solution. Some counties in MN have no cases or just a few and it seems silly to inflict so much economic damage for so little benefit. The seasonal flu kills 35,000 in the U.S. each year and we go about our daily lives without a second thought or worry about it.

Keep in mind, that one person with the flu over 2 months would infect 385 people.

One person with COVID-19 over 2 months would infect 99,000 people.
___

My issue as to those numbers is whether any individual would suffer for 2 months, but I got the drift ... Huge difference between COVID-19 and the flu

A local hospital, Saratoga Hospital, reports they can covert an anesthesia machine to a ventilator in about an hour in a fairly simple procedure. Basically, those units supply oxygen and anesthesia during surgery, and they figured out a way to disable the stream that meters the latter. If they need them, that's 48 additional ventilators available.

Probably obvious to those in the business, probably being done, but thought I would put it up here to show there is a lot of creativity and improvisation going on.

I saw a thing where a couple, made up of a doctor and a software engineer(or similar) , designed a simple gadget that can be made with a 3d printer that will split a ventilator 4 ways. I think it needs two ventilators, but still, that helps some. It was pretty cool. They made the plans free and are working with hospitals that don't have 3D printers to find someone that will print the parts for them.

At least the bottom has been tested , probably 18200-18500 .

I believe you are correct sir. Unless this thing stretches into June, companies are flush with cash. On top of that the government cutting the corporate tax rate (rate genius move out of DC) led to a huge explosion nationally on capital expenses. So now many companies have loads of assets they can take out credit on that will carry them through this halt.

Basically my prediction is extreme fiscal tightening for two months followed by return to business as normal, and the a major ramp up in Q4 with all the routine maintenance **** getting going

I make a very good living because of people’s awful judgment. Count me in the camp of not relying on that.

I talked to my brother this morning, he’s an anesthesiologist in Charlotte. His group has gone to a 7 days on, then 7 days off schedule to decrease overall exposures. He’s in the middle of his 7 day on stretch. About 60 hours/week on this schedule for him. They have half of their normal operating rooms running because elective surgeries are cancelled.

Anesthesiologists are doing all intubations (placement of breathing tubes) in the hospital now. ER and ICU providers are capable of doing that in normal times, but this protocol is in place to limit exposures. ~15 patients intubated with COVID symptoms now, expected to double in the next week.

If things get really bad, they will convert operating rooms to extra ICU space. In that case, they wouldn’t have enough providers to staff that space, so he’s brushing up on his ICU knowledge in his free time.

He’s resigned to getting the virus at some point.

I make a very good living because of people’s awful judgment. Count me in the camp of not relying on that.

@MWard is from Pasco. We give him a pass :D

Keep in mind, NYC was encouraged to go out and enjoy and business as usual in early March.
I think that directly translates to what feels like 50% of cases in the US we currently have being from that area.

It's nuts to me that people can look at NYC (heck, Italy/Span well before that) and still say "we're OK here, do your thing" like some mayors/governors are.

Because it's a known entity. Catastrophic as it may be, its been something those in medicine have battled. In this instance, nobody has a clue what the future holds.

There are treatments and vaccines for the flu. Even if we guess wrong on the strain, they still provide some protection and minimize symptoms. Luckily it looks like we might be able to dust off some of the research that was done on SARS and shelved since that outbreak was more of a "come on strong and do enough damage not to spread widely" variant. That was stopped since there was not real need (medically or economically) for continued development. But a lot of the places you'd look to treat, like blocking the entry mechanism, are the same. So that's good news.

If people are not moving around, they're not going to spread flu either. If anything, wouldn't that help stave off a second peak in flu cases?

I just read several articles that said people who Vape are more vulnerable to COVID-19. It's a big part of why they believe younger people are starting to get it and having to be hospitalized because of it. The damage to lungs from Vaping is still something researchers are learning about, but everything they have found so far is not good.

Local (Vancouver and Province of British Columbia ) Updates:

From a golf perspective, I think there might still be a couple of executive type ones open locally, but all others have closed either by municipal order, their own volition, or upon guidance and request of Golf Canada and BC Golf Association.

Generally: After some blips in recent nice weather, individuals and businesses around me (and talking to friends who live elsewhere) generally seem to taking social distancing and staying at home unless necessary or taking a walk-with social distancing-seriously. There is reduced traffic and little even pedestrian traffic generally talking to friends and looking at news webcams. I'm in a normally busy area in Vancouver, though a lot of the shops near me are clothing or specialty which are closed for now.

Essential services such as groceries and drug stores stores are mostly only allowing a max of 50 people inside at a time, providing spacing lines on the floor etc. Restaurants are closed for seating, and only takeout or delivery. There were a few that had defied that order when orginally proclaimed (wow, I guess was only started at St Pat's Day, seems like a long time ago with everything going on!).

The Canada-US border both ways is also closed for other than essential services and returning residents, and anyone returning to Canada now is subject to isolation for 14 days (do not pass go) under the Quarantine Act.

As I said, it seems most are taking social-distancing etc. pretty seriously here now. Nonetheless, the Province has instituted some recent provisions for coordination and enforcement, some just yesterday:

People who ignore public health orders can now be jailed or fined upward of $25,000. I didn't find it in writing looking quickly today, but I believe the Premier said those large fines mostly apply to business infractions, though individual fines could be $1000.

The province is cracking down on the black market by prohibiting the resale of food, medical supplies, personal protective equipment, cleaning products and other essential supplies. People who ignore the order can be fined up to $10,000, jailed for one year, or both.

A new unit is being established to coordinate the distribution of goods and services on the supply chain by land, air, marine and rail.

A Provincial State of Emergency now covers all areas, other than the City of Vancouver, which has its own authority under its Charter.

City bylaw officers across the province now have the power to help enforce those orders, through education and potentially gathering evidence of a violation.

Workers at senior care facilities are only allowed to work at one facility, unless approved specifically by the Provincial Health Officer, such as a staff shortage.

Last edited:
I just read several articles that said people who Vape are more vulnerable to COVID-19. It's a big part of why they believe younger people are starting to get it and having to be hospitalized because of it. The damage to lungs from Vaping is still something researchers are learning about, but everything they have found so far is not good.
I think that a lot more younger people are going to be susceptible to this than we realise, espcially those that smoke or vape

I work in the chemical industry and I'm one of its staunchest defenders, but it's beyond me why anyone thinks they could inhale a chemistry set without any ill effects.

I work in the chemical industry and I'm one of its staunchest defenders, but it's beyond me why anyone thinks they could inhale a chemistry set without any ill effects.
especially one that is basically completely unregulated.

I think that a lot more younger people are going to be susceptible to this than we realise, espcially those that smoke or vape

That was the basis of the article, that we forget the mass amount of young people (1 in 4 here in the US) that vape now and how the true effects on the lungs are still unknown, but all preliminary research is not good. The actual warning that spurred these articles came from the CDC.

I totally agree. I am sure it probably isn't as bad (and certainly not as gross and bad smelling) as a cigarette, but there is no way inhaling that could be good for the body. It's like eating whole foods or something loaded with preservatives. Doesn't mean the preservatives will kill us tomorrow, but it's certainly not as good for you to ingest those chemicals as it is to eat a piece of fruit.

What's even worse, is saying wash your hands isn't enough, you have to make sure to add "with soap".
Everything comes back to Seinfeld. Do you remember the episode?

The Bradley Corp (providers of washroom products to public facilities) has been tracking handwashing for several years. You can see their high-level summaries here. https://www.bradleycorp.com/handwashing

Lots of people think rinse-and-run qualifies as handwashing...it doesn't.
And of the people washing hands, wonder how many are washing the 20-30 seconds (rinsing doesn’t count in the time people). Bet it was really low before it was brought to attention by this virus.

Just got an e-mail for the mayor of my smallish town here in NJ of at least 3 confirmed cases. My uneducated guess is that number is low as not everyone has been tested.

Keep in mind, NYC was encouraged to go out and enjoy and business as usual in early March.
I think that directly translates to what feels like 50% of cases in the US we currently have being from that area.
IIRC NYC was also slow to close schools.

Reactions: JB
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back