Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.

This 100%... If we are going to spend money like a Medical Manhattan Project, it should be for another disease to make the most impact on society.

Yep, there were reports 3 or 4 weeks ago that some states in the US were seeing 1/2 their deaths in nursing homes and the like.
Exactly*. And the numbers (and reports) have always reflected this as you've pointed out, but now the sudden surprise by some? The fact that these places were going to get decimated has never been a surprise, the question has been what are we going to do to prevent it? And I still don't see it being addressed in a wide-scale, sensible manner or with rapid, accurate testing. Hell, they test in the WH on a daily basis practically everyone who walks through the doors and half the WH staff is now in self-imposed quarantine ... so what does that tell you about the status of our current testing regimen? Do we really think we can keep this portion of our population safe under the current protocols?

And I don't say this as a reason to keep people in quarantine. I say this because people need to get their heads out of their arse, stop patting themselves on the back, and get things fixed.

*1589928903172.png

...On a personal level, two family members are healthcare providers and both were furloughed. One since March and the other on a temp basis...
A friend's wife is a nurse at a local hospital. She said the hospital is like a ghost town - occupancy is around 20% and many of the employees have been furloughed/laid off.

Are we sure it's not because they sold overpriced crap in big stores with few customers?

Many thought that, but frankly someone could say that about every retail store and we hope that’s not the case or 50 million unemployed will be a drop in the bucket.

Exactly*. And the numbers (and reports) have always reflected this as you've pointed out, but now the sudden surprise by some? The fact that these places were going to get decimated has never been a surprise, the question has been what are we going to do to prevent it? And I still don't see it being addressed in a wide-scale, sensible manner or with rapid, accurate testing. Hell, they test in the WH on a daily basis practically everyone who walks through the doors and half the WH staff is now in self-imposed quarantine ... so what does that tell you about the status of our current testing regimen? Do we really think we can keep this portion of our population safe under the current protocols?

And I don't say this as a reason to keep people in quarantine. I say this because people need to get their heads out of their arse, stop patting themselves on the back, and get things fixed.

Haha.
The reason that the data is important...Once again...Is because it changed, seemingly overnight. It appears it changed mostly due to how NY is/was coding, but changed nonetheless.

Compound that with the numbers of most contagious killers and it runs a complete parallel. For instance AARP spoke of the large jump of flu deaths in 2018 from years prior. And that 80% of those deaths were in those 65 and older (totaling thousands).

No type of protection will change that, but precautionary actions can be done to help protect them WITHOUT ruining millions of lives along the way. This is why the data is important.

Dovetailing on @JB’s comments. MN recorded 750 Covid-19 deaths and ~82% lived in extended care facilities with an average age of 83 or 84. Those 615 souls are a tragic for each family. Today we learned Senator John Glenn’s wife died of Covid-19. Remember him? Senator from OH, war vet, astronaut, etc. The media was slow to report her age. 100 glorious years and she was at a nursing home.
135 of the 750 people didn’t live at a nursing home. It would be interesting to see a health synopsis of each person. Willing to bet the vast majority had a serious co-morbidity issues. PSA: take care of yourself!

In the meantime, the state went from a $1.5B surplus to a $2.5B, and growing, deficit. This happened in 2 months! https://mn.gov/mmb/forecast/forecast/

State unemployment peaked around 20%.
On a personal level, two family members are healthcare providers and both were furloughed. One since March and the other on a temp basis. My gal owns a flooring store with 15 employees. They’re planning to reduce headcount to 10 people and outsource accounting. Some sales people will be offered employment as contractors. They currently have a nice healthcare package.

@JDax asked how history will record this event and it’s affects. If the Chinese wanted to split the nation, then they hit a home run. Ugh!

First off-
Godspeed John Glenn and his Wife...
B5F17C06-A81F-4596-94DA-21CFB029A12C.gif

Second point-
History is always written by the victors. So we will see how this event gets recorded. We live in the most polarized electorate since the Election of 1860, and that isn’t hyperbole. And the lens that this event has been viewed by people aligns with one’s ideology. The jury is still out...

388D1264-B8C7-45F9-B133-9305F555B738.jpeg

Haha.
The reason that the data is important...Once again...Is because it changed, seemingly overnight. It appears it changed mostly due to how NY is/was coding, but changed nonetheless.

Compound that with the numbers of most contagious killers and it runs a complete parallel. For instance AARP spoke of the large jump of flu deaths in 2018 from years prior. And that 80% of those deaths were in those 65 and older (totaling thousands).

No type of protection will change that, but precautionary actions can be done to help protect them WITHOUT ruining millions of lives along the way. This is why the data is important.
Without getting too deep in the weeds, the biggest problem is that there were other motives in play beyond just the health and safety of people. Data or no data, decisions have been made for the wrong reasons, with no accountability.

This 100%... If we are going to spend money like a Medical Manhattan Project, it should be for another disease to make the most impact on society.

Please, that's the kind of thinking that would have kept us from spending the trillions necessary to finally eliminate global terrorism and drug use in the US.

Maybe because Covid is sudden and out of the ordinary and maybe we are desensitized (?) to diseases like cancer, heart disease, etc.

But not really -- we have Cancer and Heart associations but those are long term diseases. This is a virus, which people are hoping can be stamped out with a vaccine or other remedy - maybe they're dreaming. But I think that is a difference with a distinction. An individual's body or eating habiits are not causing the virus. It's jumping from individual to individual - although being in good physical condition may assist your fight against Covid.

I’m not sure if this was posted in here or not but I just read that Pier 1 is going out of business and closing all their stores due to COVID.

every retailer closing blaming COVID was dying pre-pandemic. COVID just closed the casket.

every retailer closing blaming COVID was dying pre-pandemic. COVID just closed the casket.

I agree, but they could have tried to restructure, but COVID took that from them. But I do agree, many, if not all, were having trouble and there was simply no way for them to survive this.

I agree, but they could have tried to restructure, but COVID took that from them. But I do agree, many, if not all, were having trouble and there was simply no way for them to survive this.

Sears/K-mart should be next. I read Guitar Center also defaulted on a loan payment as well.

So I guess you could say these closed retailers had comorbidities. Sounds a little like the majority of the human deaths as well.

I think there is a segment there, sure. Neiman Marcus being one of them. But while Pier One was not in the perfect spot, down year over year, they did bring in over 400 million in revenue in the 4th quarter last year and a revenue/inventory total that kept them in the black. They were planning store cuts to take them back or at least keep them around.

The closure absolutely did them in.

Interesting...

Driving up to cadillac Michigan tomorrow to golf with my son thurs and fri. Anything in tsun i should know about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure what's going on downstate, but folks and businesses in Cadillac are relatively relaxed about the Governor's orders. The course might require different carts, the flags stay in, foam ring, no rakes for the bunkers... normal stuff. But nothing crazy like having to wear face masks on the course. Restaurants are still serving take out only (as far as I know).

The courses should be dried out from all the rain we had Sunday and Monday. Weather should be around 70° and sunny for the rest of the week. Enjoy the time with your sons.

I'm heading to my course just outside Cadillac tomorrow morning.

I think a lot of people who were initially supportive of the stay at home policy are becoming fed up here in Michigan. None of this is funny because of the deaths and financial hardships that are going on. But some of the strongest supporters of the order who I know are starting to wear down a little.

My wife and I are on opposite sides politically, but both still fairly moderate (plus neither of us takes politics very seriously). Initially, she was reluctant to see the country open up. Two months into this and she's really tired of her gray roots. Her hairdresser, who is as liberal as one can be, was very outspoken about the "idiots" not obeying the order. Now he's getting tired of not making any money. I heard (haven't read yet) our beloved governor is not going to open hair salons at the end of the month as many other businesses open.

As I said, under most circumstances the hypocrisy would be funny. Instead, everything about this COVID situation is just crappy.

I think a lot of people who were initially supportive of the stay at home policy are becoming fed up here in Michigan. None of this is funny because of the deaths and financial hardships that are going on. But some of the strongest supporters of the order who I know are starting to wear down a little.

My wife and I are on opposite sides politically, but both still fairly moderate (plus neither of us takes politics very seriously). Initially, she was reluctant to see the country open up. Two months into this and she's really tired of her gray roots. Her hairdresser, who is as liberal as one can be, was very outspoken about the "idiots" not obeying the order. Now he's getting tired of not making any money. I heard (haven't read yet) our beloved governor is not going to open hair salons at the end of the month as many other businesses open.

As I said, under most circumstances the hypocrisy would be funny. Instead, everything about this COVID situation is just crappy.

Your governor's hair always manages to look pretty good, lol.

My hospital friends are getting sanity back. The last couple weeks they were working 6 days a week, had other units turned into ICU units, etc.. but admissions keep declining and they're heading back to normal

Good signs, but memorial day weekend will bring out a lot of stupidity

Yeah, that pisses the wife off even more - especially when she (the governor) claims to be suffering through bad hair days just like everyone else. Please tell me one more time... "we're all in this together"

It's easy for politicians to say "we are all in this together" as they have jobs, a steady paycheck, access to products and services many don't, and also wield power. They seem unable, or unwilling, to relate to the average person who is anywhere from struggling to being devastated by continued draconian rules.

Yeah, that pisses the wife off even more - especially when she (the governor) claims to be suffering through bad hair days just like everyone else. Please tell me one more time... "we're all in this together"
It’s easy to tell others what they can and can’t do, until it’s your Job and means to provide for your family that is affected...

I have friends that were Pro-Lock down until they got furloughed, now they plan on pulling a different lever in the Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back