Cleveland Mashie Review - Testers Thread

After my Adams A7 went flying in the Pacific Ocean today I now have room in my bag to show a little Mashie love! Pretty excited about that. M3 here I come!

After my Adams A7 went flying in the Pacific Ocean today I now have room in my bag to show a little Mashie love! Pretty excited about that. M3 here I come!

OUCH!!!!
Don't you just hate those slippery grips they put on clubs these days?

You know, it was raining a bit and when I went to tee off on this ocean side par 3 I didn't have my glove on for whatever reason. I set up a bit left and was going to fade it onto the green and then BAM there she goes. I never thought that could actually happen. That's the only club in my bag that didn't have the New Decade half chords too! I guess that was God just telling me "get yo' Mashie on". Oh yeah, I will have the New Decades on the Mashies before they leave the store!!!

Oh yeah, I will have the New Decades on the Mashies before they leave the store!!!

May want to try it with the regular grip. The Mashie uses a very light weight grip to keep swing weight at a certain place.

Maybe some winn lite chords?

May want to try it with the regular grip. The Mashie uses a very light weight grip to keep swing weight at a certain place.

How much would regripping affect this club? I desperately want something different but am terrified to screw something up.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

How much would regripping affect this club? I desperately want something different but am terrified to screw something up.

Do you not like the factory grip? I don't have any problems with it.

Do you not like the factory grip? I don't have any problems with it.

It's not that I don't like it, as much as it really doesn't fit me. The end if the grip (for my left hand) is rather petite. I wouldn't mind slapping a midsize grip on the Mashie.

It's not that I don't like it, as much as it really doesn't fit me. The end if the grip (for my left hand) is rather petite. I wouldn't mind slapping a midsize grip on the Mashie.

Ok midsize makes a lot of sense.

Ok midsize makes a lot of sense.

You never thought that section of the grip was rather small?

I have big hands, and to be honest, the grip, and its smallness, is in my brain now.

You never thought that section of the grip was rather small?

I have big hands, and to be honest, the grip, and its smallness, is in my brain now.

Nah, not really. I have normal sized hands. I use the Pure pro grip with no tape on my other clubs. I like a thinner grip on my clubs. Even though I have thought about putting a plush grip on my driver. In wish most grip systems were like Pure. That would lead us down the road of grip fittings. It is to hard to do that now.

By the the way thanks for that arrow grip tip the other day. The Mashie is back On now!

Nah, not really. I have normal sized hands. I use the Pure pro grip with no tape on my other clubs. I like a thinner grip on my clubs. Even though I have thought about putting a plush grip on my driver. In wish most grip systems were like Pure. That would lead us down the road of grip fittings. It is to hard to do that now.

By the the way thanks for that arrow grip tip the other day. The Mashie is back On now!

Nothing better than having the Mashie fire'ing on all cylinders!

I cant answer that because it would be different for everybody. Some would find it very different feeling and others wouldnt notice a difference.

I've only played 1 round since regripping my mashies. I did not notice a difference.

I've only played 1 round since regripping my mashies. I did not notice a difference.

What did you put on yours?

And here I figured you as kind of petite for a big man.

Kevin

And here I figured you as kind of petite for a big man.

Kevin

I'm only petite where it counts :)

The grip is just so small. I'm thinking about switching it out but I don't want to mess anything up.

The grip is just so small. I'm thinking about switching it out but I don't want to mess anything up.

I haven't hit one, but I'm surprised Grace hasn't complained if it's noticeably slimmer. When she was fit for her Burner irons the fitter suggested 1/16" slimmer grips and she bitched and moaned from the time she got them in her hands. Had to go back to the standard TM arrow grips that she loved on her R7s. I never think about that stuff, but it drove her crazy.

I'm going to make sure I don't mention it.

Kevin

What did you put on yours?

UST Mamiya Comp Sc. It's the first time I tried these grips. They were reviewed on THP last year. They felt good on day 1. I did not have any issues regripping.
f6fd3b1d.jpg

Maybe some winn lite chords?

That's what I regripped mine to.

I have standard sized grips on my clubs and by no means come anywhere near a midsize grip but the Mashie grip just felt unusually skinny for me, like I was holding rubber bands wrapped around the shaft. I knew that some of the heavier grips out there could effect swing weight so I went with the Winn Lite Firms (I think it was a 2g difference) and the grip feels way more stable and I don't feel the difference in swing weight.

I don't think you'll mess anything up man...I changed mine out and the results are the same.

I noticed something yesterday during my round with how particular the Mashie is with how you tee the ball. The Mashie (especially the M3) really prefers the ball to be teed as low as possible....there were times where I teed the ball a fraction too high and the results were night and day as opposed to when I teed the ball just off the ground. The distance was still there however the ball flight was high, almost borderline ballooning. Yes this is true with any club but I think the trajectory when teed properly is what makes the Mashie a Mashie and 'not just another hybrid'

I have standard sized grips on my clubs and by no means come anywhere near a midsize grip but the Mashie grip just felt unusually skinny for me, like I was holding rubber bands wrapped around the shaft. I knew that some of the heavier grips out there could effect swing weight so I went with the Winn Lite Firms (I think it was a 2g difference) and the grip feels way more stable and I don't feel the difference in swing weight.

I noticed when I was cutting off the stock grip that it seemed very thin. It was probably the easier grip I've ever cut off in my life because it was so thin.

I don't think you'll mess anything up man...I changed mine out and the results are the same.

What did you go with Hanks?

I believe Hanks went with the Golf Pride Multi-Compound blue.

Back