Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

Dress codes are becoming more and more relaxed in all areas of life. Golf is (and shouldn’t be) no different. It’s not to say anything goes, but strict dress codes are going the way of the dodo.

How can you correlate what someone wears and their etiquette on the course? That is a MASSIVE stretch. I have seen plenty of people dressed in Polos and Khakis driving the carts too close to the green, not fixing ball marks, etc.

Dress Code in NO way correlates to behavior on the course. That is just silly
That actually happens in life (not just golf). Many studies out there correlate general behaviour, ettuquette, confidence etc,etc to the attire we wear as having some amount of relation.

Of course one can wear a suit and be a total jerk and one can wear a tank top and be the nicest most respectful person. But our awareness for our own levels of etiquette does lower and raise itself along with how we dress. Dress very lax and one might be more inclined to use foul language while dress up and may not use it as much (just one tiny example).

Put a random crowd together of a few hundred people for a similar reason and require dressy attire at one while very lax at the other. I bet anything the general behavior ettiquette at the dressier event is overall a bit better 9 times out of 10. And that doesnt mean it couldnt be good at the other. But simply that it will be better at the dressier one. Perhpas a tad less foul language, a tad less problems between folks, a tad less questionable behavior. etc..

Dress codes are becoming more and more relaxed in all areas of life. Golf is (and shouldn’t be) no different. It’s not to say anything goes, but strict dress codes are going the way of the dodo.
and imo unfortunately so has common courtesies, respect, and behavior etiquette gone down too in just about everything everywhere and I feel that is no coincidence..

That actually happens in life (not just golf). Many studies out there correlate general behaviour, ettuquette, confidence etc,etc to the attire we wear as having some amount of relation.

Of course one can wear a suit and be a total jerk and one can wear a tank top and be the nicest most respectful person. But our awareness for our own levels of etiquette does lower and raise itself along with how we dress. Dress very lax and one might be more inclined to use foul language while dress up and may not use it as much (just one tiny example).

Put a random crowd together of a few hundred people for a similar reason and require dressy attire at one while very lax at the other. I bet anything the general behavior ettiquette at the dressier event is overall a bit better 9 times out of 10. And that doesnt mean it couldnt be good at the other. But simply that it will be better at the dressier one. Perhpas a tad less foul language, a tad less problems between folks, a tad less questionable behavior. etc..

The thing is, if relaxing the dress code was more likely to entice people to play, it is worth it.

I still refuse to believe that if 100 people wore polos, and 100 others wore t-shirts, that the people in t-shirts would inherently exhibit poor golf etiquette relative to those in polos.

Clubs decide dress codes based on their membership/clientele. And that is as it should be. Munis run by the city should be open to all the public regardless of how appropriate or inappropriate their attire it may seem to many of us here. In that case, I’m good if shirts must be worn is the only dress code.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

and imo unfortunately so has common courtesies, respect, and behavior etiquette gone down too in just about everything everywhere and I feel that is no coincidence..

I strongly disagree that common courtesy and respect have gown down hill. In my opinion, people are nicer today than ever.

Why? It's atrocious and ridiculous looking, but who cares? He's the one that looks like a rodeo clown, unless you call him or for it then you both look like 🤡

There has to be a limit to ass clownery at some point. He crossed it.

How can you correlate what someone wears and their etiquette on the course? That is a MASSIVE stretch. I have seen plenty of people dressed in Polos and Khakis driving the carts too close to the green, not fixing ball marks, etc.

Dress Code in NO way correlates to behavior on the course. That is just silly

You should listen to the latest episode of Off Course with @Canadan and @HipCheck

I dress like i want to dress for golf. I believe in Pressed Shorts, collared shirts tucked in. You can dress as you would like. But there is a good chance that if you are wearing a t-shirt and jeans, we are not playing together.....

yes... and if I hear loud music on the course, I will do something rash about it. :ROFLMAO:

The thing is, if relaxing the dress code was more likely to entice people to play, it is worth it.

I still refuse to believe that if 100 people wore polos, and 100 others wore t-shirts, that the people in t-shirts would inherently exhibit poor golf etiquette relative to those in polos.
I actually feel that even the very same 100 folks dressed well up vs dressed down would display a more and less level of etiquette accordingly. One would have them a bit more aware and a bit more expecting to keep their behavior etiquette in check vs the other. I think we all have that in us. So apply that to the general public where many more and different folks are involved and is why imo (and that of many) that dress codes are implanted.
A dress code basically says (or suggests) ......."we expect a certain level of behavior while in our establishment" and it raises the odds that they will get a bit more of it. And imo (while it may not always work) its worth the try.

You should listen to the latest episode of Off Course with @Canadan and @HipCheck

I have listened to it. I assume you say that not as a counter-point to what I said, but just more so to be informative.

To me, bad behavior has NOTHING to do with what someone is wearing.

Talking during someone's backswing, hitting into someone, etc. can happen regardless of course, attire, etc. It is just people being who they are.

I actually feel that even the very same 100 folks dressed well up vs dressed down would display a more and less level of etiquette accordingly. One would have them a bit more aware and a bit more expecting to keep their behavior etiquette in check vs the other. I think we all have that in us. So apply that to the general public where many more and different folks are involved and is why imo (and that of many) that dress codes are implanted.
A dress code basically says (or suggests) ......."we expect a certain level of behavior while in our establishment" and it raises the odds that they will get a bit more of it. And imo (while it may not always work) its worth the try.

Even if it is at the expense of growing the game?

I have several thoughts
1. Dress to impress. Don’t be a slob
2. If you are wearing shorts, no Cargos, and no gym shorts
3. Not necessarily the need for a collar shirt, Tigers shirt doesn’t have a collar. But no writing in the shirt- No graphic T’s
4. Wear a belt for sake- I don’t want to see your underware.
5. a hat is meant to be worn with the brim in the front, wear it correctly.

maybe I am a little bit of an old school golfer, there is nothing wrong with that. Basically what I say is: if you were invited to a high end private club and don’t embarrass your host.... that’s what you should be wearing.
Act appropriately - Simple. It’s a golf course

I have several thoughts
1. Don’t be a slob

That is the golden rule right there. IMHO, a lot of what us “purists” really complain about comes down to sloppiness. A tucked in shirt with a big, greasy stain in the middle can be worse than the golfer wearing a well fitted, untucked shirt.

On the other end of the spectrum, I would rather see younger kids dress more casually on the course. I was behind the Gateway Jr PGA tournament today at my course and the kids looked like each one had a big stick up their ass. They didn’t look like kids but little adults.

I strongly disagree that common courtesy and respect have gown down hill. In my opinion, people are nicer today than ever.
If thats what you see then glad for you.
I dont see that at all. Oh boy do i not see that and wish it were not true. The amount that society is lacking is respect and common courtesy and etiquette vs some years back is incredible imo.
Young folks display little respect for elder folks, people are more likely to trample each other to death, all about me mindsets, unwilling to sacrifice for the greater good, foul language in presence of many, poor etiquette and behavior displayed in just about every venue out there that there is. This is why in just about everything we do there are so many more rules and regulations vs years ago. We are all sometimes so restricted as we do things due to the folks who ruined them because of their inability to behave. And so rules have to be made which dampen what we do and are now less enjoyable,.... why? Because people just cant behave a well as they use to.

Golf courses imo can do their share to preserve some of whats left by implanting a small dress code? Im all for it.

This thread makes me less enthusiastic about golf and THP. Must be all of you posting in grubby t-shirts with stubble on your faces, I'm not really sure.:unsure:

I dont see that at all. Oh boy do i not see that and wish it were not true. The amount that society is lacking is respect and common courtesy and etiquette vs some years back is incredible imo.
Young folks display little respect for elder folks, people are more likely to trample each other to death, all about me mindsets, unwilling to sacrifice for the greater good, foul language in presence of many, poor etiquette and behavior displayed in just about every venue out there that there is. This is why in just about everything we do there are so many more rules and regulations vs years ago. We are all sometimes so restricted as we do things due to the folks who ruined them because of their inability to behave. And so rules have to be made which dampen what we do and are now less enjoyable,.... why? Because people just cant behave a well as they use to.

Golf courses imo can do their share to preserve some of whats left by implanting a small dress code? Im all for it.

Again, at the expense of growing the game?

This thread makes me less enthusiastic about golf and THP. Must be all of you posting in grubby t-shirts with stubble on your faces, I'm not really sure.:unsure:

Having a differing opinion shouldn’t make you less enthusiastic. If everybody agreed that might not be too much fun either :)

Even if it is at the expense of growing the game?
Honestly,....if the game would hypothetically end up becoming some behavior etiquette lacking version of its former self? then yes even at the expense of growing the game cause thats not the route I ever want to see the game take. As Ive mentioned imo society already lacking too much in those areas. Golf courses and other places that require dress codes are whats left to try to help preserve some of it then Im all for it.

How old are you? Because honestly this attitude strikes me as nothing more than old man yells at cloud.

Honestly,....if the game would hypothetically end up becoming some behavior etiquette lacking version of its former self? then yes even at the expense of growing the game cause thats not the route I ever want to see the game take. As Ive mentioned imo society already lacking too much in those areas. Golf courses and other places that require dress codes are whats left to try to help preserve some of it then Im all for it.

Again, you are assuming, that if dress codes were relaxed or eliminated, that all of a sudden etiquette goes out the window, which in my opinion, is a super unfair assumption.

If you want to be stuffy and formal, go right ahead, I cannot wait to see more and more courses continue to relax these rules, and make the atmosphere much more relaxed.

Having a differing opinion shouldn’t make you less enthusiastic. If everybody agreed that might not be too much fun either :)
I get that. But there's an awful lot of pretentiousness, assumption, and judging in the conversation. My opinion :)

and what this is.....is simply one who has seen behavior and etiquette gradually become less and less.
So - I'm older than you. I would just point out that every generation since the dawn of man has likely stated this very thing. And yet we have survived and (mostly) thrived. Just sayin'...

Back