Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

I’m good with it. I know my course has a dress code but they diner really enforce it.

Private or privately-owned public access course should feel free to set their own rules. And most do so. Publicly owned municipal courses should not have a dress code beyond shirt and shoes must be worn. If you want to look like a moron, that's your issue, and I won't say a word about it. But I might (will) be thinking it in the back of my head.

It doesn't bother me that I have to wear a collared shirt - but I'm not tucking in my shirt or putting on a belt for anyone. And I'll wear my hat any way I like. Seriously - it's America. There's nothing sacrosanct about a golf course. How someone else dresses literally has zero impact on you - except when you decide it does :) I also support the right of every golf course to make it's own rules... and I'll exercise my rights as a consumer as to whether I play there.

With golf courses closing left and right in our area over the past 10 years, I would think the last thing golf needs are dress code rules that might discourage someone from playing on a course or result in folks being turned away. But hey, that's just me.

So an invite to Augusta National and they require a tuck in and you turn it down?
Can you give them my name and number? :D

So an invite to Augusta National and they require a tuck in and you turn it down?
Can you give them my name and number? :D
I feel secure in believing this is a dilemma I’ll never have to face :)

I dress nicely when I golf... because I’m not a slob and I like looking nice. I don’t think how someone dresses necessarily is a reflection of respect though - it may simply be a matter of finances.

I wonder sometimes if those who worry about what others wear and view it as reflecting anything beyond that individual were raised as golfers in a more formal setting. I wasn’t and started golfing in my 20’s with no personal or family golf ‘traditions’. Wonder if that makes a difference?

Bottom line - I’m a Libertarian at heart and I thing the world would be a lot better place if we all worried more about ourselves :)

Agree with others that it should be course by course.

I play at a pretty decent Muni and they exclude cut-offs, sleeveless shirts and tank tops. I only wear a collared shirt when playing in tournaments at my home course. Wear either a golf themed tee shirt or plain tee shirt with a small chest logo during everyday rounds with Dockers shorts.

If they decided to start mandating collared shirts, I would comply without argument.

I wouldn’t go as far as to say I was offended but this really bothered me.
View attachment 8954571
I didn't realize the Insane Clown Posse were golfers.

In all seriousness, that guy looks like a douche everywhere he goes, not just a golf course.

I 100% support any course defining a dress code that suits what they believe their club experience to be.

While I say that, I also have no issue with courses with low rates to become quite relaxed on it. Suggesting basketball jerseys, jean shorts, etc are suitable is definitely beyond me, but basic cargo shorts or t-shirts would probably be fine there.

The only rule my course has that I think is silly is that hats must be worn forwards - But, I can appreciate them for wanting a certain experience for all members, and respect it.

I've been wearing decent Under Armour t-shirts (tucked in), decent khaki shorts, a pair of tennis shoes that would have been good enough for "casual dress" at work, and an Adidas ball cap to my lessons. I've a couple Under Armor collared shirts as well.

I plan to dress for the game as closely as my existing wardrobe will allow.

I presume most courses, even the better ones, would be ok with Dockers for pants?

I would not be inclined to wear jeans, cut-off or otherwise on a golf course. Nor a sleeveless tee. Those just seem wrong on a golf course. I never wear my hats backwards, except temporarily, to get the bill out of the way when necessary.

I would vote no dress code, but at the same time it doesn’t bother me either way.

I 100% support any course defining a dress code that suits what they believe their club experience to be.

While I say that, I also have no issue with courses with low rates to become quite relaxed on it. Suggesting basketball jerseys, jean shorts, etc are suitable is definitely beyond me, but basic cargo shorts or t-shirts would probably be fine there.

The only rule my course has that I think is silly is that hats must be worn forwards - But, I can appreciate them for wanting a certain experience for all members, and respect it.

"um sir, do you mind turning your hat around? We are trying to run a respectable club here. Thank you"

1595438053255.png

I'm 100% for dress codes. Like any other sport golf has a "uniform" that many have accepted. That being said, I think each course should be allowed to dictate how strict of a dress coded they want, and I get to decide whether that is the golf experience I want to be a part of. I am someone who has golfed with an untucked shirt, and I think that is the "craziest" thing I'll do with my clothes on a course. If my preferred course said shirts have to be tucked in, then I'll tuck it in and be ok.

If a private course wants to have a dress code, it's their property.

another persons' clothing isn't bothering me.

I don't want to have to tuck in my shirt but will if the course requires it. But I'd rather not.

If you don't care enough to put on a decent pair of shorts and a shirt, do you really care enough to show respect for other golfers, care for the course, and respect the game?

Nice clothes is no guarantee of good behavior (as many of us have I'm sure encountered well-dressed douche-bags) and wearing jean cutoffs and a tank-top isn't an indicator you're anything but perhaps the nicest guy in the world.

That said, I think my original contention has some merit. If you care enough about golf to wear appropriate clothing, there's at least higher chance your behavior will be appropriate.
I agree.
I have little doubt (while never an exact science nor always fitting to everyone) that there is a direct relation between attire and displayed behavior etiquette. In general there is a sense of self etiquette awareness that does travel upwards and downwards along with our current attire.

In one small example we are more likely to relax our etiquette standards (whatever they may be) while wearing sandles, summer shorts, and tank-top vs when wearing a suit.

I feel society has lost a whole lot of common courtesies, respect and etiquette through the past couple or so decades in its general behavior and i strongly believe it is no coincidence at all that the dress codes have laxed a whole lot in that same time. Hence imo they have been very much related.

I also strongly believe that not everyone has to fit into everything the way they see fit to do so. Imo its ok that not all barriers come down. I think for many reasons it does good to have some.

Can we have separate spring/summer/fall and winter rules? I'm wearing jeans when I play all winter in 20-30 degrees and the wind is howling. :)

If somebody wants to wear a tank top and jorts, as long as they repair their ball marks and respect the course, doesn't bother me at all.

I am in favor of full tee sheets.

If a course wants to have and enforce a strict dress code, that's cool too.

hats must be worn forwards -

Wow I've never heard of that one before. I better grow that mullet back to cover my neck. :ROFLMAO:

It depends on the course to me, honestly.

If I am at a private or expensive course, I expect a certain level of dress and decorum.

If I am at a goat track, then I don't expect anything.

I played in jeans a month or so ago. Only reason I did was, it was a cheap course, on my way home, and I hadn't intended to play, so I had to wear the jeans.

I think the simple rule should be:

Please conduct and present yourself in a manner which is respectful of yourself and others.

at a public owned facility there shouldn’t be. I’ve stopped at the course after work or class in a t shirt and jeans and still fixed more pitch marks than the guy who dresses like a pro with a tucked in shirt and white belt.

privately owned courses can do whatever they want, it’s private.

I played in jeans a month or so ago. Only reason I did was, it was a cheap course, on my way home, and I hadn't intended to play, so I had to wear the jeans.

I would say this should be left up to each course but I would hope many would be more lax with dress codes. I enjoy wearing golf attire as long as I can wear golf shorts and untucked collared shirts. I find the tucked in shirt uncomfortable when golfing and pants on a hot day is a no go for me. I would choose to take my business to courses that allow shorts and untucked shirts but this wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I have the opportunity to play some nicer courses with stricter guidelines, minor inconvenience for a great experience.

I personally could care less what others wear on the course and I think lax dress codes at public courses is important for making it easy for new golfers to pick up the game. There are enough barriers for new golfers to overcome and each one you add means less people playing golf in the macro. If membership at private clubs want a strict dress code nothing wrong with that and no issues with people who prefer to dress nicely on public courses. Just hope there's no stigma or judgment toward golfers who choose to dress informally on courses that allow it.

The courses I play most often, you just hope everyone shows up with clothes on.

This is a big one for me. I play in my work gear or at least some of it, a lot. I base what I wear while I work partly on the chance that I might have unexpected time to play, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to, and I'd rather they play than not over something like that.

At courses that cost $50-$500 a round, I wouldn’t expect that those who can afford play would be wearing cut-off jeans and a tank top. So I don’t know how many have a problem with it. At the local muni courses, I don’t think a dress code is needed.
When it comes to people who play 1x a year, dress code does seem to help with people‘s behavior.
I guess I fall somewhere in here. I don't mind that people playing inexpensive courses or the little out-of-the-way par 3 courses are wearing t-shirts.

However, I think CRW and a few others have mentioned the behavior aspect, and I do agree that there seems to be some merit in this thinking.

Back