Should Golf Have a Dress Code?

Their course, their rules...I’ll follow them or not play there.

Personally, couldn’t care less what someone else wears to golf in. It has no affect on me or my round whatsoever. Just don’t be a Richard.

I am of the camp that any business can set its rules for behavior/dress as it sees fit. If the general market won't support the business because of those rules, they will either have to alter them or go out of business.

So to me, I don't really care. If a coat and tails was required for a certain course, I probably wouldn't play there. On the flip side if there was no dress code and I saw people out in jorts and tank tops I would probably avoid playing there as well.

If the course has a dress code, I abide by the dress code. My normal goat track doesn't really have a dress code but I still wear a polo (might be untucked) and golf shorts because I have a lot more of that than anything else in my closet. Seriously, I have like 5 tee shirts and about 35 polos.

The only thing I think of when seeing some of the things people wear is how do you hit the ball wearing some of that stuff? I don't think I could physically do it. I much prefer the performance polos, shorts and pants for golf that allow me to move in a way that's conducive to hitting a golf ball.

I'm of the thought that the course can dictate the rules and let the consumer decide. Personally, I prefer to dress appropriately (polo, pants or golf shorts, etc.). I've always been one to dress on the nicer end for the environment I'm in, whether it's golf, work, church, etc. I had a professor in college years ago (Texas Tech, '89, '91) that required students to wear a coat and tie to take an exam on the belief that you perform better when wearing the appropriate attire. I guess it stuck...

I’ve been asked to change when I wore gym shorts to the driving range at a cheap local course. If I wasn’t playing on the course, I don’t think there should be a dress code. Especially at a local muni that charges less than $20 to play. Otherwise, country clubs and higher establishments im fine with and encourage a dress code.

I guess I fall somewhere in here. I don't mind that people playing inexpensive courses or the little out-of-the-way par 3 courses are wearing t-shirts.

However, I think CRW and a few others have mentioned the behavior aspect, and I do agree that there seems to be some merit in this thinking.

I can assure you I can get just as drunk in a t-shirt as I can in a polo shirt, lol.

However, I look like I’m heading to the local CC no matter where I’m at. Grocery store? Golf attire. Work? Golf attire. Mowing the grass? Yup.

It’s all I own really, I don’t have a pair of jeans, and the only t-shirts I have are just the white ones I wear under my polo shirts.

I support a dress code. Don't care if everyone is tucked in with belts, etc, but certainly don't want cut off jeans or gym shorts with t-shirts.

I’ve been asked to change when I wore gym shorts to the driving range at a cheap local course. If I wasn’t playing on the course, I don’t think there should be a dress code. Especially at a local muni that charges less than $20 to play. Otherwise, country clubs and higher establishments im fine with and encourage a dress code.

Seems quite petty on hitting the range. The local courses that I play don’t care. I’ve encountered quite a few shirtless dudes on those courses, which is why I said I just hope they’re wearing clothes.

I still wear golf attire but as I explained it’s really all I own clothes wise. Thanks to Budget Golf and their summer closeouts every year!

I will go to the course in a t-shirt at times to practice. I dont feel bad about it.

My home course is a muni (granted, and pretty nice Arcis managed Lanny Wadkins design). While I tend to dress nicely when playing an actual round, when at the range, I'll often wear gym shorts and and performance fabric t-shirt if I'm not playing a round that day and I'm just out there to practice or work something out.

I think it should be up to the course. If it's a country club or nice public course and they want to have one then they should be allowed. On the other hand if they don't want to have one that is there right as well.

I think most muni's, especially in smaller towns where they are usually just struggling to make it, should probably relax the dress code if they want. I wouldn't want tank tops or something similar but if guys wanted to come out in shorts and a T-shirt then why not? It might help get a few more guys that want to just get out and enjoy a few holes.

Yes on strict dress codes. Only catchers should be allowed to wear a hat backwards

I guess I am in favor of a dress code. My club requires "bermuda" type shorts, a shirt with a collar tucked in. That doesn't bother me. Having the shirt untucked doesn't bother me and I definitely want a shirt with sleeves and no gym shorts. I could live with golf shorts (ie no gym shorts) and shirts with sleeves. I will almost always wear a shirt with a collar tucked in but that is me.

If the course has a posted dress code, then it should followed. Rather that course enforces it, or not is up to them. I've been on a few courses that don't enforce anything. Most of those were munis.

I think the adult casual golfer needs to be dressed with a clean shirt, pants, and shoes. Something presentable, that shows personal integrity.

One thing I would allow is denim (blue jeans) They should be allowed, as long as they don't have any holes, and are presentable. Why denim is not allowed I have no idea.

I have been taken to task over my attire a couple of times. One was just practicing with a sleeveless tank top on. A shirt I had previously worn to practice 100s of time, especially in triple digit heat. A new course manager was going to whip everyone into shape. Luckily I had an approved shirt in my bag. The new gung ho manager didn't last a month.

The second time as the guy was taking my money he took exception to my tactical high top hiking boots. Said "those look like work boots". I told him that I didn't work anymore, so they can't be work boots. He let me slide since the soles were green friendly.

I couldn't care less.

Golf needs to do more to be inclusive, and if a relaxed attire rule does that, I am all for it.

I am not sure why people get bothered by what others wear? If you want to dress in a polo and golf shorts/slacks, do it! But why does it matter if someone chooses to wear athletic shorts and a t-shirt?

I'm fine with clubs being able to specify a dress code and requiring players adhere to it (whatever that might be). If you don't want to wear that, don't play there. That said, if it is allowed, then its allowed and no sense in complaining about another golfer following the rules (whatever that might be).

I like where we've currently landed on dress code. It's relaxed, but prevents some of the outlandish stuff. It also fits within the overall etiquette of golf, being respectful of others and ourself. One of the things that I like about golf is that it has a number of underpinnings that help people grow up.

I think you should be able to dress how you want (within reason). Put on a shirt. Put on some bottoms, and put on some shoes.

I don't tuck in anything (except for the rare occasion I go to a wedding).
I have been known to wear shorts, jeans, paisley golf pants, and often work pants.
Sandals, sneakers, golf shoes, work boots (within reason).

The easiest way to lose golfers here is to enforce a dress-code. We are a farming area, and seeing people in work clothes on the course is common.

Will I sometimes tuck, wear corny golf pants, color matched shoes and accressories? Heck yeah I will. Do I think I need to be dressed like that all the time? No.

I'm in the "up to the course" crowd. That being said, I don't think people should be allowed to golf in nothing but a speedo. As long as people wear a shirt, shorts and shoes it's fine with me. I may say something like "look at what this guy is wearing" but as long as he's being respectful of others and the course, doesn't matter to me. I wear a polo and golf shorts/pants and usually tuck in my shirt just because that's how I've always done it. If I untuck and someone asks to tuck my shirt, I would do it, but I've never had someone ask that.

Worth noting, I also don't play super expensive or really private courses for the reason they are just to "stuffy" for me. A course that says I can't use my phone during a round is a no for me dawg.

Gentlemen's Game :unsure: Calls for a dress code I guess.

Redneck Games :unsure: wife beater shirts, cut off jeans, trucker hat & cowboy boots ..... have no place on the golf course :golf2:. (Not mocking the "redneck" because I IS one since I hunt, fish, drive a truck, & wear all of those except for cowboy boots :eek:)

Dress codes don't bother me. Then again, I typically wear a polo and shorts anyway. I do understand a private course and muni may have different expectations, but long as you're respecting the course and other players, come as you are as far as I'm concerned.

Back