Trying to Break 80 Club

38-37=75 2 birdies, 5 bogeys, 11 pars. Never really got in trouble to much, I didn't hit a lot of greens but got up and down over and over with great chips and one putts.

I had a fun weekend of golf even with the heat being so high. Yesterday shot 86 from the combo tees. I played some solid golf except for the two par 5s on the back nine Took a 7 and 8 on those. I had 4 sandy pars on the day but the tee game was beating me up.

Went out this aft with my wife and shot 38/41 for 79! 11 pars the rest bogey’s. No birds even though I had the chances. Before I left the house I worked on my takeaway and backswing position at the top. I was going more around than back and up. hitting On the range before the round it felt good. Wedge game was good along with coming out of the two bunkers I was in just fine.

back To the grind this week getting ready for next weekend!

I had a fun weekend of golf even with the heat being so high. Yesterday shot 86 from the combo tees. I played some solid golf except for the two par 5s on the back nine Took a 7 and 8 on those. I had 4 sandy pars on the day but the tee game was beating me up.

Went out this aft with my wife and shot 38/41 for 79! 11 pars the rest bogey’s. No birds even though I had the chances. Before I left the house I worked on my takeaway and backswing position at the top. I was going more around than back and up. hitting On the range before the round it felt good. Wedge game was good along with coming out of the two bunkers I was in just fine.

back To the grind this week getting ready for next weekend!
Awesome!!! HC just keeps dropping.

Shot a great 42-39-81 on a tough course today. Took me six holes to finally figure out the speed of the greens, and my two penalties came off drives that I hit pretty straight but found trouble because of poor club choice / aimline (I'm not very familiar with this course). Still good for a 7.9 differential which has me teetering on getting back into single digits.

Last edited:
Didn’t actually come close to breaking 80 this past weekend, but came away encouraged after a 50/39-89 round. Completely changed my approach after an abysmal front nine and it paid off big on the back. It’s been at least 5 years since my last sub-80 round (only 3 ever), but I’m gaining confidence that the next one is within my reach.

38/38=76 Fun round. Has been fun playing more consistently this year. Thanks Callaway for the great gear.

I played 36 holes yesterday and was on fire for the 1st round. I played the combo tees at my dad's course. I made 4 birdies and never had a double. I ended up shooting a 77. The afternoon round was a different story. For some reason I reverted back to my old swaying with the improper weight shift, the reverse C! I was slicing it so bad off of the tee I couldn't control it. It seemed like the more I tried to straighten it out the worse it got. I had several doubles and a triple. I did have one birdie that was about a 35' no brainer over a hump back with a 4' break. I ended up with an 88 for my 2nd round yesterday.

All these great stories of breaking 80... Congratulations...my quest continues. Still a mid 80s player. I think approaches are better but trying to dial those in as well as limit the misses that lead to double bogey (seems one per side).

All these great stories of breaking 80... Congratulations...my quest continues. Still a mid 80s player. I think approaches are better but trying to dial those in as well as limit the misses that lead to double bogey (seems one per side).
You will break 80 before years end, stick with it.

80, with 4 birdies and 4 penalty strokes, and finished with a penalty-aided double bogey on a 476-yd par 5. 💩

I have developed a big slice once again. My tempo and weight shift are way off. This is terrible! It's awful to lose your confidence on the tee Box. Most of the fairways hit on the back were the result of not hitting driver or playing the big slice.Screenshot_20200807-060705_Chrome.jpg

41 in league last night with a triple on 8 and 3 lipped-out birdie tries.

I missed the green on 8, got greedy and went at a sucker pin hoping to get up/down. #FAIL

I know the frustration!
This was the second time this summer that I had 4 birdies in a round, but didn't break 80. I was +3 and +4 after 14 holes in those rounds, before stumbling down the stretch (+6 and +4, respectively, on the last 4 holes). In neither case did I know my actual score at the time, so it wasn't 'mental' in that sense.

42/46-88 today. Solid but not good enough.

40-42/82 today. Lost two balls on the back and had a triple on 18. Didn’t help myself too much on the greens. Not complaining though, very happy with the round! Almost there!

So close today. 80 (38/42) on a new course. 10/18 GIR. Two 3-putt bogeys from trivial distances and two errant tee shots on the back 9 did me in. Course presented a lot of challenge, and missing the fairway made for humbling shots. I had a couple of lies today where I felt lucky to get the club on the ball; where it went was up to the golf gods. Putting was the biggest issue. I could not read the large, undulating greens and only made one putt all day. 35 putts. Good news is that my game is traveling well. With a couple of exceptions ball striking was solid.

39-40-79 from 7083 yards. Definitely the longest track I've ever broken 80 on. Ball-striking was good not great but got a few lucky breaks and was great around the greens. This round comes out as a 4.1 differential, which is my lowest ever and my handicap is back in the single-digits. Even so, I feel I can go lower as I had some really silly shots like topping a 3-wood 50 yards into the water off the tee, and missing a 2-foot putt.

5 over after 13 set me up for an opportunity I haven’t had much of this summer but 4 bogies in a row derailed me, ended with 81. Didn’t chip it close enough on the back.

A 52/46=98. OMG! Talk about falling apart. I really can't get off the tee, I'm slicing so bad, I sliding instead of turning, early extending, and my down swing tempo is too fast. My confidence is gone. I was so mad yesterday I lost everything. Even my short game was bad. I had a severe downhill lie in a bunker that I whiffed! I don't think I've completely missed a shot in over 20 years. It's really crazy how I have seemed to go from one extreme to another I have been playing so well up until this week.

Screenshot_20200809-070758_Chrome.jpg

Shot a frickin 80 this morning. Double bogey and a 3 putt on the front. 2 missed birdie putts of less than 7' on the back. Golf is hard.

5 over after 13 set me up for an opportunity I haven’t had much of this summer but 4 bogies in a row derailed me, ended with 81. Didn’t chip it close enough on the back.
As you said that is much better than you have been playing and going in the right direction. Next time out for sure.

41/37=78 Was a lot of fun on the back nine.

Shot a frickin 80 this morning. Double bogey and a 3 putt on the front. 2 missed birdie putts of less than 7' on the back. Golf is hard.

I don’t think you should beat yourself up over these mistakes. Heck, I had three doubles and four three putts in my last round of 79. One double per round is excellent and even scratch golfers only make half their six-footers. Often the cause of three putting is not being close enough to the hole. If you’re frequently putting from outside 50ft, expect to three putt a lot.

Back