Trying to Break 80 Club

83 today but our course had done a couple days greens maintenance yesterday and Friday so they were a bit rough and I missed putts I wouldn't normally miss so I am not disappointed with that score

Ball striking is coming back so hoping for some good rounds in the near future

Went 87 on a tough course today. 10 strokes lower than the nightmare round I played there two months ago. Hit 56% of fairways and really struck the ball well off the tee. Irons were solid and short game and putting didn’t score, but felt confident. Playing once per week since May has me starting to feel good about getting sub-80 by the end of the season!

I hope to give it a go tomorrow. It's going to be a sloppy mess after 3 days of rain.

Back in the 80s again at 89 on a course I never played before. Was nice, only hope I can stay there this time. I keep fluctuating way too much in the 80s, 90s, and 100s. Crazy trying to stabilize.

I let it slip away today, bogeyed the last hole for an 81. There where other reason also, 2 three putts to start the round didn't help. :facepalm::banghead:

I let it slip away today, bogeyed the last hole for an 81. There where other reason also, 2 three putts to start the round didn't help. :facepalm::banghead:

Close. Starting with 3-putts drives me nuts. I have done it multiple times this year.

82 today. Three penalties from the tee box (driver, 3Hy, PW -- left, left, 2 yards short) did me in. I also missed a 2.5 foot putt for par. I went for the minimal attention tap in. :oops:

Close. Starting with 3-putts drives me nuts. I have done it multiple times this year.

82 today. Three penalties from the tee box (driver, 3Hy, PW -- left, left, 2 yards short) did me in. I also missed a 2.5 foot putt for par. I went for the minimal attention tap in. :oops:
I hate inconsistent green!!!!! Even the putting green wasn't the same as the on course greens which is really odd for the course we played.
Oh well, next time will be better. Was happy as it was one of the better rounds I have played at this course.

Shot a front nine 38 Friday morning for my first sub 40 nine holes but unfortunately followed it up with a 45 on the back nine. Then on Saturday shot a 40 on the back nine after a miserable front nine where I opened the round with a triple. If I could only cherry pick those 2 nines from two separate rounds!

Well after posting in the trying to break 85 thread for quite some time and actually accomplishing that several times I decided that I would start posting in this thread. I have been playing very consistent lately so I decided to move from the white tees to the blue tees on my home course, I was playing with a very good, consistent, single digit handicapper. In an effort to keep up with my buddy and the mental challenge of moving further back I played horribly! I sliced my 1st two T shots real bad, the second shot was a lost ball, I took a drop and then hit that one into the pond, i lost 5 balls in 4 holes, it was awful. After 5 holes of that we decided to move back up to the white tees. I started to play much better. On the back 9 we decided to play skins and my focus got a lot better, Obviously I'm more comfortable playing from the shorter tees. I had one birdie and shot a 39 on the back.

Been awhile since I posted on here, last couple weeks I have had 6 rounds in the mid-80 to high 80's, felt like my game was taking a pause. Last week I stumbled across a chipping video from MrShortGame Golf, called the chip and slide, and oh my, did that make a difference. Went and practiced it on Thursday instead of playing, and am glad I did!!

Got out Sunday and finally broke 80 for the first time with a 7 over 78 (38,40). Had 3 birdies, and 3 doubles, with 4 penalty shots overall, so could have gone much lower, but just glad I got it done. This is something that I have been striving for the past 3 years, but really started to focus in on it this year. Had 4-5 close calls, but could never bring it home, including goin 34 on the front one time, followed with a 48.

Thank you to everyone who offered encouragement the past couple months since I have joined THP, it definitely helped. Now trying to shot even??? Maybe next year.

P.S. Went out yesterday, and must have had a breaking 80 hangover, and shot a 93 :D!!

38/36=74 this afternoon. Felt really good to play consistent for 18 holes. 3 birdies, 5 bogeys and 10 pars.

Last Friday, I finally did it. Shot a 38/41 - 79!! My first round under 80 ever!

This was a goal of mine for this year, and considering it's only my 5th round, I was honestly a bit surprised. I don't get out as much as some of you on here, so sometimes I go through a bad stretch that usually ruins my score due to lack of playing. Not so last Friday! No doubles too, for the first time in a long time! I also shot an 88 at the same course earlier in the year, so I was very please with the improvement!

Front 9: 38 (+2) with 7 pars and 2 Bogies. Overall a great front 9. Driver set the table, and my approach shots were good enough to 1 putt twice, and 2 putt 6 times, with one bad 3 putt. That 3 putt was on 8, missed a 6 foot uphill pull that lipped out, and rolled away down a slope. Missed the comeback, for a 3 putt, couldn't believe it. But came back and pared a difficult par 3 9th hole.

Back 9: 41 (+6) with 3 pars and 6 bogies. Again the driver was great. Bombing them all day really. My approaches weren't as good as the first round, and I ended with 7 2 putts, and 2 3 putts. Had a bogey on the last 4 holes to finish out.

I hit 6 of 13 fairways, but if I missed it wasn't by much more than a few yards. I hit 10 of 18 GIR, so a very good day for me overall. Again, if I did miss, it wasn't by much, usually just short on the fringe. Only 1 penalty on the day, one that made it into a creek on a tight par 4, where I should have hit something other than driver.

My short game has improved so much, which has allowed me to get more aggressive with my approach shots, knowing that I can get up and down more than before. I changed my driver set up, standing a bit further away from the ball. I was hooking too many shots before, but this allows me to get the head through the ball better, and man, I was hitting my best drivers in a long time as well. It felt great to have everything come together for a round.

38/36=74 this afternoon. Felt really good to play consistent for 18 holes. 3 birdies, 5 bogeys and 10 pars.
teach me your ways! What are you doing to put in the work?!

Last Friday, I finally did it. Shot a 38/41 - 79!! My first round under 80 ever!

This was a goal of mine for this year, and considering it's only my 5th round, I was honestly a bit surprised. I don't get out as much as some of you on here, so sometimes I go through a bad stretch that usually ruins my score due to lack of playing. Not so last Friday! No doubles too, for the first time in a long time! I also shot an 88 at the same course earlier in the year, so I was very please with the improvement!

Front 9: 38 (+2) with 7 pars and 2 Bogies. Overall a great front 9. Driver set the table, and my approach shots were good enough to 1 putt twice, and 2 putt 6 times, with one bad 3 putt. That 3 putt was on 8, missed a 6 foot uphill pull that lipped out, and rolled away down a slope. Missed the comeback, for a 3 putt, couldn't believe it. But came back and pared a difficult par 3 9th hole.

Back 9: 41 (+6) with 3 pars and 6 bogies. Again the driver was great. Bombing them all day really. My approaches weren't as good as the first round, and I ended with 7 2 putts, and 2 3 putts. Had a bogey on the last 4 holes to finish out.

I hit 6 of 13 fairways, but if I missed it wasn't by much more than a few yards. I hit 10 of 18 GIR, so a very good day for me overall. Again, if I did miss, it wasn't by much, usually just short on the fringe. Only 1 penalty on the day, one that made it into a creek on a tight par 4, where I should have hit something other than driver.

My short game has improved so much, which has allowed me to get more aggressive with my approach shots, knowing that I can get up and down more than before. I changed my driver set up, standing a bit further away from the ball. I was hooking too many shots before, but this allows me to get the head through the ball better, and man, I was hitting my best drivers in a long time as well. It felt great to have everything come together for a round.
Congrats on breaking 80!!! Great round. Hope there are many more for you this year.

teach me your ways! What are you doing to put in the work?!
I generally never play over 6200 yards, (short off the tee box at about 230-240 consistently) Short game around the green is what saves my game chipping really close and one putting. I practice putting the most at home, I don't work on much other stuff.

That round just clicked for me and was really fun. 26 putts, 1 chip in on hole 1, 9 two putts and 8 one putts.
First time in my life I have had a fully fitted bag too.

That is awesome!

Shot a frustrating 40-43-83 today. Could've been as low as mid-70s with half decent putting and a non-terrible luck.

Some of the bad luck included:
-Losing a ball in a field of rough (not even that thick) leading to double bogey
-Plugged a ball into the side of an extreme sloping hill behind the green (It almost always just rolls down the hill onto the back of the green)
-Flew a par 3 green with a 9 iron which then hit a sprinkler head and went 40 yards over the back of the green behind a tree (led to double bogey)
-Hit a drive into a metre wide ditch which cuts through the fairway

Some of the bad putting included:
-Missed an eagle putt from 6ft
-Missed birdie putts from 4ft, 5ft, 8ft
-Missed par putts from 3ft, 8ft
-Missed bogey putts from 4ft, 8ft
-Didn't make a putt longer than 5ft

I know I should be happy that I had a fantastic ball-striking round, but goddamn this round was annoying. Rant over.

Shot a frustrating 40-43-83 today. Could've been as low as mid-70s with half decent putting and a non-terrible luck.

Some of the bad luck included:
-Losing a ball in a field of rough (not even that thick) leading to double bogey
-Plugged a ball into the side of an extreme sloping hill behind the green (It almost always just rolls down the hill onto the back of the green)
-Flew a par 3 green with a 9 iron which then hit a sprinkler head and went 40 yards over the back of the green behind a tree (led to double bogey)
-Hit a drive into a metre wide ditch which cuts through the fairway

Some of the bad putting included:
-Missed an eagle putt from 6ft
-Missed birdie putts from 4ft, 5ft, 8ft
-Missed par putts from 3ft, 8ft
-Missed bogey putts from 4ft, 8ft
-Didn't make a putt longer than 5ft

I know I should be happy that I had a fantastic ball-striking round, but goddamn this round was annoying. Rant over.
You will get some of that luck returned next time. Still a great round and you know you have it in you.

Broke 80 for the first time ever today - 39 front and 40 back. Bogey on 18 which was a real stressor as I should have dropped the par put but overthinking killed it.
Congrats!!!!! It will come easier now. Good job!!!

Back