Mizuno Releasing JPX 921 Irons: Full Preview

Which of these new irons lines up the closest with Hogan PTX Pro's? In terms of the normal- feel, forgiveness, etc

Probably the forged.

A8CC9512-66B3-4A6C-99AD-84C3AF58D0DB.jpeg
3A5205EE-863B-49E3-B932-DA91FDE7DEE8.jpeg

What do you mean?
I mean the guy at Club Champion had no idea they had been released or when they would get them....I told him to read THP

Kinda what I was thinking. Love my Hogans, just wish they were a LITTLE more forgiving...

We have a video coming on the 24th with data comparing the 4 heads that is pretty darn interesting.

I mean the guy at Club Champion had no idea they had been released or when they would get them....I told him to read THP

From a technical sense, this isn't too uncommon as the full fitting and testing embargo is the 24th of this month. Clubs are beginning to ship to fitting centers and media now, we just happened to get some early access in full due to some content we are working on.

From a technical sense, this isn't too uncommon as the full fitting and testing embargo is the 24th of this month. Clubs are beginning to ship to fitting centers and media now, we just happened to get some early access in full due to some content we are working on.

Good to know. Do you also know the fitting/testing embargo dates for the TM 7 series irons? I would assume similar? Any dates for Srixon ZX7/ZX5? These are all on my testing for new irons list, and I would love to hit them all at once. Srixon, however, will be harder as we don't have local fitting access. I might get creative if timelines are close enough. Thanks.

Good to know. Do you also know the fitting/testing embargo dates for the TM 7 series irons? I would assume similar? Any dates for Srixon ZX7/ZX5? These are all on my testing for new irons list, and I would love to hit them all at once. Srixon, however, will be harder as we don't have local fitting access. I might get creative if timelines are close enough. Thanks.

The article on the home page for the TM irons, lists the date they will be in stores.
Srixon has not released info on that, but it is going to be a while.

The new lineup looks killer. JPX is truly better than the MP line now

The article on the home page for the TM irons, lists the date they will be in stores.
Srixon has not released info on that, but it is going to be a while.

OK, thanks. From your wording previously I wondered if there was a difference between release date and dates fitting/demo opportunities. I read all the time about people pre-ordering before release dates, but that is from the Internet. ;) Shucks on Srixon coming online later. It is odd that the full lineup details and specs are already on their UK website. ZX7/ZX5 look very nice.

The Hot Metal Pro is a very big sleeper in this line.

I would not be surprised if it is the top seller of this release.

I would not be surprised if it is the top seller of this release.
I’d still say it will be standard Hot Metal, but HMP is darn solid.

Anyone else look at the HMP 4 iron at 19 degrees and think “driving iron?”

Anyone else look at the HMP 4 iron at 19 degrees and think “driving iron?”

I usually look for something a bit more forgiving in that spot, but have looked at the Hot Metal there.

I mentioned earlier that the badging on the 921 Forged covers the milled slot, which was left visible in the 900F and 919F, and I think this makes the 921F look better, but wondered if there was any other purpose for it. I watched a video with Chris Voshell yesterday, a live discussion that I didn't catch live, and he mentioned it. He said that it actually helps enhance the acoustics and feel. Here's the video, the discussion on the 921F starts at about 31:13, and the comment on the milled slot starts at about 38:20. Here's the video, its all really interesting, but over an hour long.

So, first of all - Take some time to read @Molten's article on the homepage. It's outstanding, in a language anyone can understand.

Second of all, I hit these quite a bit over the last two days. Should we discuss?

Yes! Very interested in hearing about the forged vs the HM/HMP. Never had minzunos before, so would love for one of the sets to kick the Ptx pros out of the bag...

So, first of all - Take some time to read @Molten's article on the homepage. It's outstanding, in a language anyone can understand.

Second of all, I hit these quite a bit over the last two days. Should we discuss?
We SHALL discuss. I cannot wait to hear what you thought.

Here are some basic thoughts..

First of all, the Tours are outstanding. I think their presentation and audible profile have both been notably improved from 919. With that in mind, they are a very demanding iron, which sets them well apart from the others in this collection. From my own personal perspective, I wouldn't compare them to the rest in the set. They are the 921 Tours and they are their own entity.

The Hot Metal are great. The most offset of the bunch, and chunkier than the bunch, but hardly chunky from the category they represent. Very visually pleasant and sound is well considered with the uncut profile, the material, etc etc. I wasn't shocked after hitting 919, but they absolutely met expectations. Not my favorite by any means, but I'm confident they will be preferred by many golfers looking for great feel and swing support.

The Hot Metal Pro are exactly what I thought they would be - which is kind of shocking because I had MASSIVE expectations for them coming off 919. I did not hold back my fascination with the sound quality, and the results typically spoke for themselves. I think they subtle design changes are wonderfully complimentary to improvements without reducing anything that was massively important to me from the last release (sound, and launch). I hit the 4 iron on the sim first, before anything else, and uttered "oh my god" as soon as the ball left the head. The feedback was brilliant.

The Forged are last here for a reason. They are special. Hugely fresh in concept, sizing has improved, shaping has improved, and the results spoke volumes about how much tech/design has come for a company like Mizuno. I'd game them in a heartbeat and tell my local guys (who demand I play MBs) to get over it. I see no reason why they could not compliment golfers in a significant range of skill.

I can't speak on GC Quad data for the time being specifically, but I love that this set is similar to the MP-20 lineup where I feel like I could easily blend at any point without fear of significant changes in results from head style to head style in the blend. It's SO welcomed, because if I were to game a set, I feel like I'd absolutely have to have at least two heads represented (HMP, Forged).

Yes....all ears...

Here's the crazy part as I read back my own comments... I really, REALLY like the Tours. I've been pondering MBs all year long and they make perfect sense.

....but the way I felt about Forged and HMP is SO compelling for what their profiles represent. I had no intentions to prefer them. I had no reason to prefer them (until I hit them). Mizuno has simply continued their JPX quality, and done so with a bit of an exclamation point.

Here's the crazy part as I read back my own comments... I really, REALLY like the Tours. I've been pondering MBs all year long and they make perfect sense.

....but the way I felt about Forged and HMP is SO compelling for what their profiles represent. I had no intentions to prefer them. I had no reason to prefer them (until I hit them). Mizuno has simply continued their JPX quality, and done so with a bit of an exclamation point.

One of those instances where everything tells you to choose one thing and you over think your way into something else (tours). I do this all the time.
I had the 919 tours for a hot minute and something about the sole design didn’t work great for me. I like reading about how the 921s have a thinner sole in the scoring irons. Thinking combo with the forged. Maybe forged in 5-7, tours 8-PW. Maybe a HMP 4 iron for giggles. Can’t wait to see them in person.

Their new wedge sounds pretty incredible too...

One of those instances where everything tells you to choose one thing and you over think your way into something else (tours). I do this all the time.
I had the 919 tours for a hot minute and something about the sole design didn’t work great for me. I like reading about how the 921s have a thinner sole in the scoring irons. Thinking combo with the forged. Maybe forged in 5-7, tours 8-PW. Maybe a HMP 4 iron for giggles. Can’t wait to see them in person.

Their new wedge sounds pretty incredible too...
I think anyone pondering Tours in 921 are going to be absolutely SHOCKED by the Forged.

Calling it right now.

Sounds like I'm going to have to talk to my shop and see when they are getting their Forged fitting heads.

@JB yall need me to come and cook for a day or weekend as a trade for a set of these beauties? ;)

Back