Mizuno Releasing JPX 921 Irons: Full Preview

I parted with my cash for a set of JPX 919 forged the day before the 921 preview photos came out... was gutted to say the least. Was also told there was a minimum of a 4 week wait for the clubs as the factory in Scotland (I’m in the uk) was running at limited capacity. Heard rumours they were also running out of stock bits for the 919’s. I went back to the store where I made my purchase and was told Mizuno was offering custom fit customers the chance to change their order to the 921’s at no additional cost. Just a longer wait. As soon as the store can pre order they will. I’ve gone 921 forged 4-gw. :cool:;)

The more I read about the 921 Tours I am believing they were designed just for me

'The JPX921 Tour is designed with the feel, flow, and performance of the MP series but with greater clubhead stability and a different player in mind. The MP could still be considered the “traditionalist” iron, whereas the JPX Tour caters to a more aggressive player needing a little bit extra help on occasion but still wanting a smaller looking iron. This is where Mizuno’s Stability Frame design allows the 921 Tour to offer greater forgiveness (higher MOI) than the MP-20 MMC without the multi-material construction.'

More forgiving than the MMC?!
Watching the Mizuno YouTube discussion has convinced me these are right up my street. I loved hitting the 919 Tours, I reckon these are going to end up in my bag.
5-PW Tour with either one of those 19° HMP 4 irons or an MP20 HMB 2/3 iron.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

@Canadan did you find the forged to be more forgiving that the 919F as Chris V said on the TXG video? Also higher flight?
I took it to mean it was more forgiving than the 919, which allowed them to shrink the head size resulting in a package that was about the same(again, with a smaller head)

maybe I’m wrongtho...

I parted with my cash for a set of JPX 919 forged the day before the 921 preview photos came out... was gutted to say the least. Was also told there was a minimum of a 4 week wait for the clubs as the factory in Scotland (I’m in the uk) was running at limited capacity. Heard rumours they were also running out of stock bits for the 919’s. I went back to the store where I made my purchase and was told Mizuno was offering custom fit customers the chance to change their order to the 921’s at no additional cost. Just a longer wait. As soon as the store can pre order they will. I’ve gone 921 forged 4-gw. :cool:;)
That's pretty wild.

I had a friend locally who I spent a couple hours with on the range with 919 and he decided to go for the HMP's, but got an outstanding deal on them. Well below MSRP due to the transition period.

Glad to hear they are making it right for you, and it's a big win in my books. 921 is outstanding.

@Canadan did you find the forged to be more forgiving that the 919F as Chris V said on the TXG video? Also higher flight?
I could make a big claim, but I'm going to be totally honest... Without hitting the two side by side I think it would be incredibly unfair to make a claim like that.

With that in mind, their tech story suggests it's accurate, the profile is reduced without being crazy tight, and my numbers (which I can't talk about yet) have me wondering not only if this will surpass the HMPs as the best model in the line, but breach my bag as absolute gamers before 2021.

.....and no, I do not take something like that lightly.

I could make a big claim, but I'm going to be totally honest... Without hitting the two side by side I think it would be incredibly unfair to make a claim like that.

With that in mind, their tech story suggests it's accurate, the profile is reduced without being crazy tight, and my numbers (which I can't talk about yet) have me wondering not only if this will surpass the HMPs as the best model in the line, but breach my bag as absolute gamers before 2021.

.....and no, I do not take something like that lightly.
Thanks Dan. Can’t wait for the 24th when you can share more. Awesome work - appreciate you guys!

I took it to mean it was more forgiving than the 919, which allowed them to shrink the head size resulting in a package that was about the same(again, with a smaller head)

maybe I’m wrongtho...
The forgiveness should be a little improved, depending on how you define that term, based on everything I know. I’ve hit the 919F plenty in the past and will be hitting the 921F tomorrow.

The forgiveness should be a little improved, depending on how you define that term, based on everything I know. I’ve hit the 919F plenty in the past and will be hitting the 921F tomorrow.

Very interested in your feedback on these. (y)

921F sounds so good. How’s the spin?
not something we can touch on presently, but will absolutely bring some numbers to the thread when appropriate.

Very interested in your feedback on these. (y)
Me toooo. I’ll have to talk in generalities a bit until the next embargo date but I’m excited to hit and share

Me toooo. I’ll have to talk in generalities a bit until the next embargo date but I’m excited to hit and share
we should talk offline about them. Lots.

Let's see how feverish we can make these THPers haha

Yeah definitely. Understand that you guys with the inside track can't say to much for now. Thanks for everything you guys have and can share.

we should talk offline about them. Lots.

Let's see how feverish we can make these THPers haha
That’s just downright cruel. So it’s a Deal! After hearing y’all rave about them I’ve got high hopes. Very very high hopes

Why a 2nd embargo date? Once the story is out why would it matter if everyone shared their experiences and show their numbers?

Why a 2nd embargo date? Once the story is out why would it matter if everyone shared their experiences and show their numbers?

You would have to ask the company that, but in my opinion it makes some sense. Relay all of the tech details and information and then shortly after everybody can share their testing information.

FWIW nothing is off limits to discuss outside of swing data. That’s it and considering how personal that is with irons and fitting it shouldn’t matter as much.

You would have to ask the company that, but in my opinion it makes some sense. Relay all of the tech details and information and then shortly after everybody can share their testing information.

FWIW nothing is off limits to discuss outside of swing data. That’s it and considering how personal that is with irons and fitting it shouldn’t matter as much.
Church. Although now that you mention it, I’m super curious when fitting heads will make their way into the hands of certified fitters.

@JB, @Molten Can anyone tell us about stock graphite shafts besides last year's Recoil 95 and ESX - about 65g. More options are welcome - the PX LZ 90 Tour Graphite was a good shaft - but they eliminated it in year 2. That and a Recoil Smacwrap 78-80g would be welcome. Looking for more quality options and variety of weights

@JB, @Molten Can anyone tell us about stock graphite shafts besides last year's Recoil 95 and ESX - about 65g. More options are welcome - the PX LZ 90 Tour Graphite was a good shaft - but they eliminated it in year 2. That and a Recoil Smacwrap 78-80g would be welcome. Looking for more quality options and variety of weights

Apologies for chiming in, but I happened to take a screenshot from Chris' presentation. Standard on the HMP's is the Project X LZ in black. They only discussed standard offerings, no upgrades or alternates were mentioned. The blacked out look is going to make those HMP's really sexy.

Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.28.49 AM.png

921F sounds so good. How’s the spin?

I have my HMB's lofted 1° strong, which is the same as the 921F will be. With that, I'm getting mid-6,000ish RPM with the 7-iron and a flight that is not too high and a mid-170's carry. My guess is the new Forged model will be in that ballpark.

This is no joke. I had a dream last night that I played a round with a set of 921 Forged that had Catalyst 80 6.0 shafts in them and I shot my all time best round. Where does a dream like that come from that is so detailed. Seriously, Catalyst 80 6.0 shafts, a shaft I have never played in a set of irons (although I love it in my Cobra King Utility).

Back