Golf Ball Compression: Spin, Speed and Distance

Great video @Canadan! It’s amazing that you can get 1300 RPMs reduction and pick up 10 yards of carry by switching golf balls.

Good chance I need to change my lie angle, but I feel like with mats I get some club grab that can change face angle and dynamic loft. I also start coming into the ball more shallow on mats to minimize impact on my left wrist, where pain is always first to manifest with golf. When I hit on grass I don't notice anything like that. Unfortunately I can't hit outdoors with real balls and a monitor. That's just not an option. All that said, I agree with the baseline. The things I see with different balls from indoor GCQuad sessions do seem to hold as I play. I lose a little driver distance (trivial) but overall I have better iron control with B RX over B X mostly because of spin and wind (mountain upslope and downslope winds are a daily thing).
One thing I would say about this, is that there are DEFINITELY types of mats that do no justice for a swing.

Fortunately, places like Club Champion and the THP Tech Studio have awesome turf, which allows for performance to play the key role. There's enough give to square up the ball without a big ricochet.

Man.. You spin the ProV1x way more than I would have thought.
And that's with a 7 iron that has been bent strong (probably 2 degrees) to accommodate my dynamic loft.

Imagine the spin numbers on a traditionally lofted 7 iron.

One thing I would say about this, is that there are DEFINITELY types of mats that do no justice for a swing.

Fortunately, places like Club Champion and the THP Tech Studio have awesome turf, which allows for performance to play the key role. There's enough give to square up the ball without a big ricochet.

Good to know on mats. My experiences are limited to one type of mat, period. I may also just be a mat "princess and the pea." That wouldn't surprise me at all. ;)

First, THIS IS WHY FINDING THE RIGHT GOLF BALL IS IMPORTANT! For years we have been yelling that from the rooftops at THP. They’re NOT just golf balls and they’re NOT all jus the same. As with clubs, fit matters!

Second, I really enjoyed this, a great rundown of what works for a swing like @Canadan. It also explains everything he and I have been talking about in his iron distances the past year, that move to the RX changed things in a big way, and now we can see why.

Great video. Excellent length. More importantly something that should spur on conversation in the importance of the golf ball to help eliminate some of that one size fits all mentality.
Also play a ball, not all of them LOL! Imagine playing the first few holes with one of those and then switching to the other. All the sudden all your distances are off.

excellent info. I have been to a hand full of golf ball testings at the PGA Show and various sponsored events...Every one of them were ball fittings via driver. Good to see data besides driver data.

Lots of misinformation out there in regards to golf balls and compression. We wanted to share the testing and the data and show what happens with a high compression golf ball and low compression golf ball when they are both used by the same golfer.

Why this test and comparison is happening and then takes some swings and breaks down the data to explain what is happening and how it relates to his game. From there we discuss why both of these balls are very good, but could be right or wrong for your game.

Soft vs Firm! Fast vs Slow! Spin Increase vs Spin Decrease! So much info and you see all of the swings and all of the data.

This is one you do not want to miss.

Continue reading...

I suffer/struggle with high spin at times... I'm going to have to try some BRx. I've always known the Pro Vs were too spinny for me and had some success with the e6. I'm curious if there is any data base that compares all balls? For example, in comparing the e6 vs. BRx, how much of a difference in spin is there, launch angle, distance, etc. I assume Bridgestone and others don't provide this type of analysis or data, correct?

And that's with a 7 iron that has been bent strong (probably 2 degrees) to accommodate my dynamic loft.

Some day it'd still be spinning to this day. But yeah, I can see why you hate wind haha

I suffer/struggle with high spin at times... I'm going to have to try some BRx. I've always known the Pro Vs were too spinny for me and had some success with the e6. I'm curious if there is any data base that compares all balls? For example, in comparing the e6 vs. BRx, how much of a difference in spin is there, launch angle, distance, etc. I assume Bridgestone and others don't provide this type of analysis or data, correct?
There may be that kind of information out there, but I am not familiar with it.

This is something I would love to do with all balls, eventually... Although I'd love to include another swing in the mix. The goal of this one was to show the extremes of my experience and really validate the necessity to spend time considering a ball choice, not just clubs and shafts.

Also play a ball, not all of them LOL! Imagine playing the first few holes with one of those and then switching to the other. All the sudden all your distances are off.
I actually felt this a bit two weeks ago in my member/member tournament.

Day 2 is alt-shot and we were using my ball on my drives, and his ball on his drives. My numbers felt a bit off on approach, and this really validated it.

Soft vs Firm! Fast vs Slow! Spin Increase vs Spin Decrease! So much info and you see all of the swings and all of the data.

Sorry, follow up question Dan - those speeds are presumably ball speeds. Is your typical swing speed under 105 mph, which is what the BRx claims to be designed for?

Sorry, follow up question Dan - those speeds are presumably ball speeds. Is your typical swing speed under 105 mph, which is what the BRx claims to be designed for?
baseline driver speed is around 115mph.

On a personal note, I'd like to thank @Canadan for giving me a link to a video that isn't me with a table view of data supporting the softer ball launching higher, spinning less, and going further in the mid irons. Holy heck have I had some arguments with people not believing my observations/data on that.

You should tell Bridgestone they are underselling themselves!
The guys at Bridgestone are AWESOME!

I told them I would happily be their guinea pig any time haha

I am wondering if the same results could be seen with a slower swing speed player? 7 iron is my 160 club and I seem to have good peak height, maybe my QSTs are one of the reasons I roll off the back sometimes?

I have about the same 7i as you. (total distance 165) I have a adequately step landing angle and tend to land soft on the greens. When i switched to the QST from the Cut Grey, where I saw the most change was with wedge bite on short chips. So I would agree that the QST is playing a roll in your added spin.

I think I speak for all of us out here grinding away trying to chance Dan...(looking at you @Hamfist)....we now find out that you're a LoftJacker! :eek:

I think I speak for all of us out here grinding away trying to chance Dan...(looking at you @Hamfist)....we now find out that you're a LoftJacker! :eek:
I guess it depends on how you perceive loft haha! Do you have a baseline loft on a driver? If I play an 8 degree driver and yours is 11, am I a loft jacker?

If you compare my lofts to that of many irons out in 2020, I'm very much in line. I just happen to have a set of CBs in the bag right now that were more traditionally lofted when they were designed.

Also, I assume you're joking - but I did enjoy responding :ROFLMAO:

Is there a chance we could see a similar demonstration and comparison for the balls that fall into the category just below the ProV and Tour B X/RX families?
As you saw at the Tech Studio, the options are endless.

We just need THPers to ask for it, and given enough time, I am sure we can accommodate. Be as specific as you want.

I am wondering if the same results could be seen with a slower swing speed player?
There may be that kind of information out there, but I am not familiar with it.

This is something I would love to do with all balls, eventually... Although I'd love to include another swing in the mix. The goal of this one was to show the extremes of my experience and really validate the necessity to spend time considering a ball choice, not just clubs and shafts.

I think slower swing speed player(s) testing a few balls from the next few performance levels down would be awesome. BTW, I could be available as a volunteer. It would also be a pretty cool contest.

I guess it depends on how you perceive loft haha! Do you have a baseline loft on a driver? If I play an 8 degree driver and yours is 11, am I a loft jacker?

If you compare my lofts to that of many irons out in 2020, I'm very much in line. I just happen to have a set of CBs in the bag right now that were more traditionally lofted when they were designed.

Well, since you are a loft-jacker, I reinstate my demand for you to wear an oven mitt while playing. I'll allow you to pick which hand.

I have yet to watch the video, but will state my primary reason for playing a super-low compression is that it doesn't hurt my hands as much on mis-hits.

I have yet to watch the video, but will state my primary reason for playing a super-low compression is that it doesn't hurt my hands as much on mis-hits.
#girlyhands!! ;)🤣🤣🤣

I hoped that you'd get my joke. And yes I turn my driver up to 11!

The game of golf is no just about distance, but also about staying in play, green side spin, feel off driver/putter etc. Also, how appealing the ball looks to me is important.

The game of golf is no just about distance, but also about staying in play, green side spin, feel off driver/putter etc. Also, how appealing the ball looks to me is important.
I am not sure how this comment relates to the content.

Can you elaborate?

Back