Mizuno JPX 921 Irons Review

Can you flesh out a little bit what it is that makes the 921s better in terms of performance?
From a performance perspective, that's a tough one. From a personal perspective? Lots.

First, I simply didn't think they looked good. Looked unfinished to me. I remember hitting MP18 MB and the the 919 tours and thinking that it didn't make sense to even consider the latter.

Second, the sound. It just didn't work for me - didn't sound like a Mizuno SHOULD sound (which is basically buttery flawless). i think they closed that gap aggressively with 921 and it's enough for me to make statements like I have been.

From a performance perspective, that's a tough one. From a personal perspective? Lots.

First, I simply didn't think they looked good. Looked unfinished to me. I remember hitting MP18 MB and the the 919 tours and thinking that it didn't make sense to even consider the latter.

Second, the sound. It just didn't work for me - didn't sound like a Mizuno SHOULD sound (which is basically buttery flawless). i think they closed that gap aggressively with 921 and it's enough for me to make statements like I have been.
Very helpful. Thanks

And apparently it got you excited.

Do you want to kiss and tell?
Time to share your thoughts. I need to hear other people's thoughts here because I've been screaming that people should not sleep on the forged.

the feel, the launch, the forgiveness across the face, the feel, the looks, the feel.

the tours are too much club for me, they are sexy as hell, but I have no business playing that club.

I loved looking down at the forged.Way way way better than the 919 forged, in every regard.

Prob ordering HMP 4 iron bent 1* weak, 5-G Forged tomorrow. Will drop some recoil protos in them.

Got 5-PW and GW on order in the Tour. My miss is up and down on the face. I’m prepared to deal with the sting of a thin strike for the lovely lush denseness of a proper strike. It’s the feel I’ve been missing and chasing since I traded my MP-32’s. My 919F’s will stay with me however I think they may get awfully lonely in the closet.

I haven't had the chance to hit any of these yet, but I hope to change that Wednesday or maybe Friday. With that said the Hot Metal or maybe the Hot Metal Pros are high up on my wish list. It would only be 8-PW (maybe 7-PW).

Fitting is at 10am, looking forward to seeing how they shake out.

What are your pre-fit assumptions, guesses?

I’m hoping for a complete summary but you might be smiling too hard to type.

What are your pre-fit assumptions, guesses?
Well I think it would be the forged or HMP but I plan to try the 100S and 770.
I might start with the tour to see the difference bit doubt it would be a good fit distance wise. About to go in and see what's up.
Shaft wise I am open to try whatever and see what makes a difference

I might start with the tour to see the difference bit doubt it would be a good fit distance wise. About to go in and see what's up.

Nice. Looking forward to your thoughts especially in the forged vs 770

Cant wait to hear your feedback on these two. Seems like most folks here are torn between the HM and Forged.

Local fitting shop open today (closed Sun & Mon). I sure hope he received these fitting heads. Tour and forged are on my agenda with a head to head comparison to the P7MC and p770. Don't know if any of these alone or in combo can kick out my mmc's, but by golly I'm gonna give them the college try. Sadly, I have a hunch the pony express shipping options to this part of the world may have me waiting a bit longer.

Guess it's better to wait and get it right. My fitting is Oct 6 near Boston. When he gets the clubs, he will shaft up several. I said let's start with Accra Constant Weight in 85g - Accra has a lively feel and CW shafts may help in the short irons.

But who knows what will happen. He may put something else in my hands, Mizuno or otherwise.

Am keeping the 919F in Accra i80 to use when I am retooling the swing.

the tours are too much club for me, they are sexy as hell, but I have no business playing that club.
You know, it's funny to read this, as it really resonates for me. I do a pretty decent job of catching center face, but like with any player iron, as soon as it even somewhat slides away from center, I know about it.

...and it's not like it is a bad thing. For guys who want full control, you absolutely get it. I've just always found it funny how the tours and the Hot Metals are in the same lineup (funny in a non-negative way) because the experience is just SOOOOO different.

@Canadan or @JB as someone who has hit the Cleveland UHX (perhaps in a limited capacity but still) how would the Hot Metal / Pro compare to those? I love the V-sole in general but haven't hit either club. I know the UHX got a lot of praise, but so does the 921 line (not only on THP).

@Canadan or @JB as someone who has hit the Cleveland UHX (perhaps in a limited capacity but still) how would the Hot Metal / Pro compare to those? I love the V-sole in general but haven't hit either club. I know the UHX got a lot of praise, but so does the 921 line (not only on THP).

Its larger than both in my opinion and of totally different construction in the long irons. Going to be a hard comparison for me, outside of liking both. Closer would be Hot Metal to UHX, but still quite different.

You know, it's funny to read this, as it really resonates for me. I do a pretty decent job of catching center face, but like with any player iron, as soon as it even somewhat slides away from center, I know about it.

...and it's not like it is a bad thing. For guys who want full control, you absolutely get it. I've just always found it funny how the tours and the Hot Metals are in the same lineup (funny in a non-negative way) because the experience is just SOOOOO different.

this is kind of why i was asking about the feel off tour vs forged. to me, it sounds (hehe) the tours almost have no business getting the jpx moniker. like they are an iron unto themselves, not really outfitted with all the tech and story of the forged, hm or hmp.

So, a bit disappointed that the range was mats only today, as I really wanted to talk about turf interaction in this update - but instead I'd like to focus more on sound/feedback as it relates to this particular product (The JPX 921 Tour irons).

We'll start with the 8 iron.

1598975624406.png

As you can see, most of the contact is either center or toe side of center. I'll comfortably say that this is the most appealing location on the head to hit the ball. Very full and rich sound profile, supporting exactly what you'd expect out of a shape like this.

And how about the 6 iron.

1598975699867.png

Notice how the contact moved into the heel? Especially the lower shots that made contact under the last groove, these are the shots that validate what most are saying with this kind of head - that it's 'too much club' for most golfers. Are they super penal? Not really in this location, but I am confident that if I moved any closer to the heel, I'd be in trouble. Most of these were just underwhelming feedback in the hands and ears, but the flight overall was a combination of a bit pully, a bit fadey, or relatively straight. Not really much off the line for me, which tells me path and head were on line.

How about the 'scary' 4 iron?

1598975886189.png

As you'd expect, a bit more head variety but I kept them pretty tight. It's funny how you'd expect one club to be more demanding, but I would bet the 4 and the 8 are very tight in profile. Gave me mostly that same middle toe contact which promoted very full, robust contact.

My takeaway is exactly what most would expect - that these irons are highly rewarding but equally challenging from a contact perspective. They are extremely responsive as you get towards the heel, and from my on course experience, equally as audibly/vibration present way out on the toe in a very different way.

Its larger than both in my opinion and of totally different construction in the long irons. Going to be a hard comparison for me, outside of liking both. Closer would be Hot Metal to UHX, but still quite different.
I like that response. Different enough to hit them both to get your own personalized perspective.

From a performance perspective? I kind of love what both companies are doing, presenting serious forgiveness in a package that doesn't annoy the hell out of my ears haha!

I like that response. Different enough to hit them both to get your own personalized perspective.

From a performance perspective? I kind of love what both companies are doing, presenting serious forgiveness in a package that doesn't annoy the hell out of my ears haha!

Thanks for both answers. I am trying to make a concentrated effort to move all ego aside and move into the most forgiving iron I can stand to look / hear :) Both the UHX (my miss being thin usually and) and HM/P are highest on the testing list at the moment.

Thanks for both answers. I am trying to make a concentrated effort to move all ego aside and move into the most forgiving iron I can stand to look / hear :) Both the UHX (my miss being thin usually and) and HM/P are highest on the testing list at the moment.
Fortunately, Mizuno does an awesome job of creating progressive iron options for the ego challenged haha

I have a friend locally who couldn't talk himself out of blades until he got sick of bad shots. Managed to get into HMBs and quickly got over it. For me, I love the idea of having easy transitions into Forged, then HMP and finally HM because they are visually close, without compromising what matters most for golfers.

...and I maintain the sound is spot on what it needs to be.

I was half tempted to do like 8-G in the Tours, pure vanity, but realized it would not help me.

maybe one day!

Fortunately, Mizuno does an awesome job of creating progressive iron options for the ego challenged haha

I have a friend locally who couldn't talk himself out of blades until he got sick of bad shots. Managed to get into HMBs and quickly got over it. For me, I love the idea of having easy transitions into Forged, then HMP and finally HM because they are visually close, without compromising what matters most for golfers.

...and I maintain the sound is spot on what it needs to be.

As I am probably still going to hang on to a bit of ego would likely look at transitioning to Forged at around 8i. Realistically I don't try to get anywhere else than the green up to 7i but from 8i up I start eyeing other things as well. A few loft tweaks should make the sets transition nicely.

Sound seems to be something all reviews I've seen touch on as improved from the 919 and also that it flows nicely from HM/P to Forged.

As I am probably still going to hang on to a bit of ego would likely look at transitioning to Forged at around 8i. Realistically I don't try to get anywhere else than the green up to 7i but from 8i up I start eyeing other things as well. A few loft tweaks should make the sets transition nicely.

Sound seems to be something all reviews I've seen touch on as improved from the 919 and also that it flows nicely from HM/P to Forged.
I really enjoy the challenge of the tours, but I'll openly admit after a few rounds and range sessions with them, even with the face dispersion I've presented, I wish I'd abducted the forged instead of them from THP HQ.

It makes sense to want to blend. We basically already blend between wedges and irons, why not split irons with irons depending on how you want to swing them. Me? Forged throughout with a couple HMPs at the top. ooooooooh yeah.

Back