Ok, let’s move on. In the end we are all football fans.

So, how about that Chiefs/Raiders game? The raiders killed me in FF because I had the Chiefs D and they gave up 40pts so they got me a goose egg from them.

Mahomes got outplayed by Carr.

Dak’s ankle moved 90 degrees, the Raiders beat the Chiefs, the Dolphins beat the 49ers, and I need the Bills to lay an egg tomorrow night to have a fighting chance in FF.
Well I wish I had a fighting chance...this year has been a **** show. When is next years draft?

Well I wish I had a fighting chance...this year has been a **** show. When is next years draft?

More important question is when will this season end? Doing lots of schedule changes currently and there is talk that they may be needing an extra week or two.

More important question is when will this season end? Doing lots of schedule changes currently and there is talk that they may be needing an extra week or two.

This smacks of Roger Goodell: instead of laying out scenarios in July for multiple outbreaks - something which could be reasonably foreseen by a sixth grader, no matter how low the probability - the NFL is playing Calvinball with the schedule. That's where you make up the rules as you go along.

I think once the NFL runs out of bye weeks they will have to consider an 18th and maybe a 19th-week schedule or some of the teams will not play all 16.

Frankly, I know the NFL is saying they want all teams to play 16 and I bet they do, but the TV money is the same as long as the NFL gets in a 17-week schedule and playoffs. So, even if a few teams don't play all 16 I don't think they lose money. The TV people probably would love to have that extra week or two of football, but don't want to pay for it. Will be very interesting as we move into flu season and what is expected to be the second wave of Covid cases.

This smacks of Roger Goodell: instead of laying out scenarios in July for multiple outbreaks - something which could be reasonably foreseen by a sixth grader, no matter how low the probability - the NFL is playing Calvinball with the schedule. That's where you make up the rules as you go along.

I could not disagree with this more.
There was no choice but to play the season. The NFL knew this would happen, as did the fans, but there was no choice.
If millionaires playing a game can't do their job and isolate, that is hardly on league leadership. They have laid out very simple and effective rules and have played a quarter of a season generally speaking.

It's not like the NBA with only 12 people on a team. Or MLB that doesn't have contact. There were expectations and in the end, some players failed, but outside of cancelling the entire season for something that doesn't impact most players the same as the media is portraying it, there was nothing any leadership could do.

On Rivers, I have always been a huge fan and think he is borderline to the hall of fame (he might be in depending on the players he is going against in voting).

I do think he is a shell of himself and not playing very well. The team is not designed for Rivers' current style and non-mobility, IMO. I think the team was not happy with Brissett and thought they could get a year or two our of Rivers while drafting a QB to be the next. I was surprised they waiting to draft a QB and don't expect Jacob Eason is the answer.

As for critiquing, I have always thought many of the best analysts were those that didn't have pure talent and thus were mainly backups or players that didn't make the NFL. Many of the best coaches in the league are such players or non-players. They were able to see or knew what to do, but just didn't have the ability to accomplish the task at the pro level. It's funny because you can take just about any sport and say the same thing. The best golf teachers are not necessarily the best players, as an example. In fact, in many cases, the best players make horrible coaches or teachers. They are so skilled that they don't understand why another can't do the same as them. They could be completely flawed mechanically, but their God-given skill allows them to achieve what many only dreams of. Naturally, there are exceptions in all cases.

Reactions: JB
Obviously a little bit of hindsight being 20/20, but I always felt Dak was getting some bad advice not signing the long term deal the Cowboys had on the table for him. I get the Franchise/Transition tag is guaranteed money (and a lot of it), but given the injury yesterday, I think he'd be hard pressed to get that kind of proposal again.

Didn’t Dak even get rid of said agent after the talks stalled & Jerry franchised him? It’s awful now looking back to what happened.

There was no choice but to play the season. The NFL knew this would happen, as did the fans, but there was no choice.
If millionaires playing a game can't do their job and isolate, that is hardly on league leadership. They have laid out very simple and effective rules and have played a quarter of a season generally speaking.

It's not like the NBA with only 12 people on a team. Or MLB that doesn't have contact. There were expectations and in the end, some players failed, but outside of cancelling the entire season for something that doesn't impact most players the same as the media is portraying it, there was nothing any leadership could do.

Maybe I did not make myself clear. Or maybe I did and I'm worse off than I thought.

I agree they had to play the season and I agree they need to get it in. What's more, they SHOULD play the season. I also believe in personal responsibility.

A Covid outbreak in the NFL is a low probability, high impact event that could have been foreseen and war gamed with a little expenditure of effort. Maybe they did this - it was kind of impressive that they were able to make an eight-way adjustment to the schedule the way they did. I did hear the NFL reserved the SB stadium for thirty day, just in case. But the responses to the initial episodes suggest to me they had not thought much about it.

I could be wrong. Happens a lot. Just the way I saw it.

Most organizations have plans for low probability, high impact events - a strike, or a fire, or a flood. It just didn't look to me that the NFL did that good of a job initially.

I get playing year to year to maximize income in a sport like baseball where there is low risk of injury. But not football where everyone gets injured and it is only a question of how bad the injury will be. IMO if someone offers you generational money you take it.

I disagree with this. I think they do have a very good plan in place with the correct protocols. The fact is we all knew many NFL teams would have positive cases. The NFL knew this would be the case and they are doing as much as possible with the protocols outside a bubble ala NBA and NHL. The players just have to keep doing their best to stay Covid free if they want to play a whole season. And, I am not saying every positive case is the player's fault. Their child, spouse, a friend could easily bring Covid home accidentally even if the player has followed every possible guideline. It was always going to be a very difficult year for the NFL. Could they have scheduled two byes? Maybe. But, would the TV people pay more for the extra weeks? Would the NFL give the TV contracts the extra weeks without charging? Lots of things were probably discussed that we will never know.

@Reframmellator - I would characterize it as high probability, high impact.

@Reframmellator - I would characterize it as high probability, high impact.
I can see that. I gave the NFL braintrust the benefit of the doubt that they were confident the preventive measures they installed greatly reduced the probability.

This ^^^^^

Didn’t Dak even get rid of said agent after the talks stalled & Jerry franchised him? It’s awful now looking back to what happened.

im not sure, but I just remember seeing the kind of numbers thrown around and thinking to myself, this is the best it gets right now. Take the deal, keep playing well and maybe restructure down the road if you out perform.

It’s amazing how much football is king in the ratings and thus why everyone will do whatever necessary to have a full season. #toobigtofail$$

It’s amazing how much football is king in the ratings and thus why everyone will do whatever necessary to have a full season. #toobigtofail$$

You are rifgt. NBA ratings in the tank. MLB goes down for years. NFL is a machine and continues. Also they are handling the PC world the best out of them to not offend anybody.

You are rifgt. NBA ratings in the tank. MLB goes down for years. NFL is a machine and continues. Also they are handling the PC world the best out of them to not offend anybody.

The NFL is no doubt the most successful major sport going, but trying to walk a social and politcal tightrope has resulted in a lot of red numbers vs 2019 through the first four weeks:

The NFL is no doubt the most successful major sport going, but trying to walk a social and politcal tightrope has resulted in a lot of red numbers vs 2019 through the first four weeks:

Absolutely, but nothing like the NBA saw which was a 50% decline in spots and 40% in others with the largest markets playing.

Henry needs to make that catch.

Very nice play by Allen to use his body to position himself so the CB couldn’t get to the ball. Something more WRs should look at doing.

Very nice play by Allen to use his body to position himself so the CB could get to the ball. Something more WRs should look at doing.
And after Herbert missed him on the run previously found him this time. And yes I want to call him Ehhbear (phonetic) for those old enough to remember

Back