TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

exactly what i was thinking, maybe photoshop maybe not, who knows, i was thinking they would be crazy going away from the white, especially with how hard they marketed it

It was photoshop 100% TM is one of the best marketing companies out there, and they know it would be suicide to put so much effort into marketing white being better and then release a black driver. Won't happen.

After regripping the R11 driver with a New Decade Midsize Multi-Compound on Saturday (white/black of course), I headed back out to the range yesterday for a session that was as much a grip demo as it was working on anything in particular. Due to the harder grip than the squishy Winns I'd been using, I could really tell that I was gripping the club far too tightly with the right hand. With that thought, I made some adjustments to my grip pressure, and the swing just started clicking.

Specifically, with the R11, I took some of the advise in this thread, and started teeing the ball a bit higher and moved it up in my stance so that I could hit the ball up the face further. With those things in place, I started making much better contact and hit some terrific shots with the R11. I finally get to take my practice to the course again this Saturday, which will be the first round with the R11. We shall see what happens, but I certainly feel much better with it after each practice session.

I had the same problem with my grip. It wasn't my driver or my swing, rather my grip was the problem. I used to use standard size grips and tried a midsize compound (actually the same as you; GolfPride New Decade Mid) and it all clicked. I loosened up on the grip and didn't tighten up on my upswing. Hey ad?? What was your most consistent miss?

Is this a custom job or a TM release?? Black Widow. Talk about some crazy marketing.

I had the same problem with my grip. It wasn't my driver or my swing, rather my grip was the problem. I used to use standard size grips and tried a midsize compound (actually the same as you; GolfPride New Decade Mid) and it all clicked. I loosened up on the grip and didn't tighten up on my upswing. Hey ad?? What was your most consistent miss?

Is this a custom job or a TM release?? Black Widow. Talk about some crazy marketing.

the info says next release, that was the first time i have seen it, just happened to stumble on it on my facebook

Along with the grip pressure issue, I was letting my right hand do too much. Relaxing the grip pressure in the right hand allowed the left to do more. My miss has always been a fade or a pull left, due to the outside-in path and releasing too early. In my very preliminary results, letting the left hand do more really seemed to help with both problems.

maybe that is what the new driver testing sign up is for

I could see them releasing the black version, particularly if it is nothing more than a paint job. Think about the marketing from this perspective, they believe in the white crown, people who are hitting it either like or have come around to the white crown, however, there are some number of people (I used to be one) who think the white will be too distracting, and are therefore not even picking up the R11. The release a R11 with the more common black paint job, and they have increased their potential customer base.

By waiting until months after the white one, they have already convinced a bunch of people that the white is good. If they release both at the same time, many would not have given the white a try.

I could see them releasing the black version, particularly if it is nothing more than a paint job. Think about the marketing from this perspective, they believe in the white crown, people who are hitting it either like or have come around to the white crown, however, there are some number of people (I used to be one) who think the white will be too distracting, and are therefore not even picking up the R11. The release a R11 with the more common black paint job, and they have increased their potential customer base.

By waiting until months after the white one, they have already convinced a bunch of people that the white is good. If they release both at the same time, many would not have given the white a try.

Yep I pretty much agree with this. I personally dont think the release of a black one would compromise the marketing they put into the white. In my eyes I would just see it as them trying to open up the R11 market to people that never could get past the white but really liked the way the R11 played or like adwill said just to get it into the hands of people that wouldnt even pick it up because it was white.

I kind of like the look of the all black. The R11's have been selling exceptionally well, probably better than they imagined. It's possible they start releasing black and white versions, but I have a feeling it's all white for now. All though, after re-reading your post AD, you bring up a great point.

Anyone know if Taylormade does any shaft trades? I bought an R11 TP and I absolutely love the head, but I hate and I mean hate the shaft. It has the Fujikura Blur 73 S I think and I can't work it right to left. My swing speed is 118-120 and my carry is around 285, so I don't think the shaft is too stiff for me but any recommendations would be appreciated.

Anyone know if Taylormade does any shaft trades? I bought an R11 TP and I absolutely love the head, but I hate and I mean hate the shaft. It has the Fujikura Blur 73 S I think and I can't work it right to left. My swing speed is 118-120 and my carry is around 285, so I don't think the shaft is too stiff for me but any recommendations would be appreciated.

I haven't heard of TM taking any shafts in on trade, but you could try taking it to Golf Galaxy and see if they could help you out.

Yep I pretty much agree with this. I personally dont think the release of a black one would compromise the marketing they put into the white. In my eyes I would just see it as them trying to open up the R11 market to people that never could get past the white but really liked the way the R11 played or like adwill said just to get it into the hands of people that wouldnt even pick it up because it was white.

Doing marketing every day as my job, this is a classic switcheroo. They have poured so much money and time into the "White" marketing and branding that the only way an all black driver release would work would be in a limited edition method. A "limited edition" TP release would help them slowly integrate back into the "black driver" market if that's what they really plan on doing.

Curious, Does anyone know where we can find their sales #'s on drivers and irons from their first quarter?

Doing marketing every day as my job, this is a classic switcheroo. They have poured so much money and time into the "White" marketing and branding that the only way an all black driver release would work would be in a limited edition method. A "limited edition" TP release would help them slowly integrate back into the "black driver" market if that's what they really plan on doing.

Curious, Does anyone know where we can find their sales #'s on drivers and irons from their first quarter?

Just curious, why would it be considered a switcheroo if they were to offer both models. Im not saying they would stop producing the white driver but rather just add the adition of the black one. Im no marketing major so I dont claim to know how these things work but why would this be different from any other product being offered in different finishes? Just wondering if you can give me some marketing insight here.

I haven't heard of TM taking any shafts in on trade, but you could try taking it to Golf Galaxy and see if they could help you out.

Unfortunately they are the ones who fitted me for it and now they are saying that they can't help me out with switching shafts. I have an email in to TM so hopefully they will help me out.

Unfortunately they are the ones who fitted me for it and now they are saying that they can't help me out with switching shafts. I have an email in to TM so hopefully they will help me out.

darn, good luck with that man. You could always try selling the shaft here or on ebay and buying a different one. Different R11 shafts are popping up more and more on ebay.

That's exactly one reason why I haven't bought one yet. I stopped by the Golf Town here again to try out as many different shafts again in whatever drivers they had and was told they are expecting the R11 TP fitting station either this week or next. Once they have that I will be headed back and picking out the right shaft for me. I hit the TP Blur 65 again tonight just for kicks and it still just doesn't feel right. Hopefully one of the other shafts will do the job.

Mind you I did have a little fun as I snapped the head off of a Nike VR Pro that had the Project X 6.0 shaft in it. They said that was the 5th one this week that did that and the second one today. I wish I could say it was during a swing but it wasn't. I was just leaning over to pick up a ball with the driver standing straight up in my hand and I heard this rather disturbing fiber cracking sound. I looked over and there is the head laying sideways with the end of the shaft on the mat.

It sounds as though you are going to have to try and sell that chaft on ebay or somewhere else and pick up a different one. That's exactly one reason why I haven't bought one yet. I stopped by the Golf Town here again to try out as many different shafts again in whatever drivers they had and was told they are expecting the R11 TP fitting station either this week or next. Once they have that I will be headed back and picking out the right shaft for me. I hit the TP Blur 65 again tonight just for kicks and it still just doesn't feel right. Hopefully one of the other shafts will do the job.

Mind you I did have a little fun as I snapped the head off of a Nike VR Pro that had the Project X 6.0 shaft in it. They said that was the 5th one this week that did that and the second one today. I wish I could say it was during a swing but it wasn't. I was just leaning over to pick up a ball with the driver standing straight up in my hand and I heard this rather disturbing fiber cracking sound. I looked over and there is the head laying sideways with the end of the shaft on the mat.

Thats an interesting DP haha. It just has an extra sentence.

Thats an interesting DP haha. It just has an extra sentence.

Yeah, it was wierd. I hit reply to add the message and the screen spun it's wheels for a while and then came back with an error stating that I had to wait 75 seconds before I could re-post a message. I didn't see it added so I thought I would add the extra line and now I see that there are two.

Go figure.

Yeah, it was wierd. I hit reply to add the message and the screen spun it's wheels for a while and then came back with an error stating that I had to wait 75 seconds before I could re-post a message. I didn't see it added so I thought I would add the extra line and now I see that there are two.

Go figure.

Haha, happens to alot of us.

So is this the official way to get your post count up quicker? :D

Not sure if its the official way but its definatley an effective one :D.

Well I think I am getting the hang of the driver. I had a teacher work with me while I was in San Diego and he's sorted out some issues for me.

He saw my driver setup and told my I was hiding a swing flaw by going with the closed setup on the face. He made some adjustments to my swing as well as the driver and now I know exactly what my issues are if I miss with the face set to neutral.

I am still playing around with the weights, but I feel really good standing over the neutral setting.

I just love this club. I can't wait to put the 3 wood in my bag.

Man, you're gonna be hitting it further?????? LOL. Great for Team Paradise.

I agree though. This driver has really surprised me in a lot of ways. I can't wait to get the settings dailed in.

Well I think I am getting the hang of the driver. I had a teacher work with me while I was in San Diego and he's sorted out some issues for me.

He saw my driver setup and told my I was hiding a swing flaw by going with the closed setup on the face. He made some adjustments to my swing as well as the driver and now I know exactly what my issues are if I miss with the face set to neutral.

I am still playing around with the weights, but I feel really good standing over the neutral setting.

I just love this club. I can't wait to put the 3 wood in my bag.

Are people making a lot of weight configuration changes in the driver? By that I mean I found the head to be extremely heavy compared to other drivers - I think it's the heaviest head of the major brands but could be wrong. It just really felt like I was fighting it and having to swing hard to generate clubhead speed. Combine the heavy head and the fact that the 10g weight in the heel was causing me constant fears of snap or hooks, I was getting close to listing it on ebay or here. One last time I went to the range with my different shafts and weights and decided to put a 2 gram weight in the heel and keep the 1 gram in the toe. The driver now feels much more playable as I removed 8 grams from the head weight and the hooks seem to have disappeared, at least for now. The shaft I switched in weighs more than the stock shaft so I think that counters any swingweight loss in the head when I put in the lighter weight. Last time at the range, I hit probably 15 consecutive mid trajectory shots that were either straight or had a 5 yard draw on them that were going a nice distance and they scooted when they hit ground. I then moved on to other clubs to hit. Curious if others have had similar success or failures by tinkering with the weights in the head like I did.

Just curious, why would it be considered a switcheroo if they were to offer both models. Im not saying they would stop producing the white driver but rather just add the adition of the black one. Im no marketing major so I dont claim to know how these things work but why would this be different from any other product being offered in different finishes? Just wondering if you can give me some marketing insight here.

It's different because TM's marketing plan has been to poo poo the black driver market (i.e. "One of These Is Not Like the Other One" TM commercial). For them to release the black finished R11 would turn their marketing plan on a complete 180. Sure, the R11 has the technology that makes it great, but it's hard to mass market all the cool "golf geek" things that R11 can do to a mass market. But a visual difference in a driver (R11 and Burner 2.0) can be more easily marketed. For most of us the technology of the R11 is why we love it, the white matte finish is just an added bonus or an afterthought. But for the mass golfing market, TM embraced the new look and ran with it. The only way a black R11 should be released is as a Special Limited Edition with a sick shaft.

Back