TaylorMade R11 Driver & Fairway Wood Review Thread

So I had a horrible range session but this was one of two clubs that worked. I've never had so much confidence in my driver. I don't always hit good shots but I expect too. My experiences are this club isnt the most forgiving but having the right shaft really helps with that in some ways. I don't feel like at any point am I whipping the club and my slices/hooks arent nearly as out of control as I had with my other drivers. Seeing the immediate feedback of where I'm hitting the ball on the clubface has really given me confidence and it really helps me indentify where I went wrong.

Got out today the R11 driver and 4W, and had a great day! Seriously a great day, hit my longest drive ever, I gps my shots during a practice round to give me a better idea of my yardages. 301 baby!! Granted I got a good rollout, but who freakin cares, I broke the 300 yd barrier! I joined up with a random other single and I'm pretty sure I freaked him out with my celebration. Something I noticed a lot today, this club really sounds great. My partner was playing a Nike dymo, same one I used to play and hearing him hit then hearing mine was cool. Much more traditional sound to me from the r11.

Only got to use the 4W three times, once on a ling par 3 into the wind, caught it a touch thin but still got decent results and barely rolled on...two putt par. Laid up on a par five of the tee with it as well, nice straight penetrating flight. 3rd time was operator error, pushed an approach down the right side. I must say though I absolutely love this club, actually a little longer than my dymo 3W.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
Glad to hear it's working out for you! I really like the fairway wood offerings in this line as well. Keep it up!

I skimmed most of this thread, but the R11 is less forgiving than the R9(not 460)?

I skimmed most of this thread, but the R11 is less forgiving than the R9(not 460)?

I'm sure others may disagree with me but I find the R11 to be more forgiving than the R9. I really struggled with the R9 in seemingly every head/shaft combination I could find, however the R11 was a little easier to get going from the start.

To me it's less forgiving than the R9, but I didn't play the R9 regularly. I just find it less forgiving in general, but not penalizing. It really jumps off the face when you flush it, which I do more regularly with this club. I find it extremely easy to align and setup. It's one of the more accurate drivers I've played and than in itself is worth the price of admission.

I'm sure others may disagree with me but I find the R11 to be more forgiving than the R9. I really struggled with the R9 in seemingly every head/shaft combination I could find, however the R11 was a little easier to get going from the start.

Glad to hear that I haven't had much success with the r9 going to demo some drivers tomorrow including the r11 can't wait

I got to put my R11 to the test under pressure this week. On Wednesday I was -1 going into 17 on a par 71 so I needed to birdie one of the last 2 holes for a 69. Tough driving holes on a windy day, I felt very confident and hit both fairways with good distance. Just missed my birdie putt on 17 and from just off the green on 18 I aggressively tried to chip in for birdie and then missed the 8 foot come-backer. Even par 71 with all new clubs in my bag this year and it was my first day with a new putter so 5 birdies was good to see. I am loving the R11 driver and fairways woods. I had a 4 iron into a par 5 on the back that I usually hit deck driver for my second shot!

I got to put my R11 to the test under pressure this week. On Wednesday I was -1 going into 17 on a par 71 so I needed to birdie one of the last 2 holes for a 69. Tough driving holes on a windy day, I felt very confident and hit both fairways with good distance. Just missed my birdie putt on 17 and from just off the green on 18 I aggressively tried to chip in for birdie and then missed the 8 foot come-backer. Even par 71 with all new clubs in my bag this year and it was my first day with a new putter so 5 birdies was good to see. I am loving the R11 driver and fairways woods. I had a 4 iron into a par 5 on the back that I usually hit deck driver for my second shot!

Great round T1, sounds like all the new sticks are working great, keep up the great play

I've been struggling off the tee this season so far, but I seem to have had a bit of an epiphany on the range today while working on my driver. Long story short, I was able to get my arms in sync with my body and produced a much more consistent and solid swing. Suddenly, the draw bias settings I had were causing me to hit some sky high hooks, which was a sign my swing path was better than it was.

I played with the settings, delofted the 10.5 head by 1 degree and put the ASP back to neutral. That helped straighten things out and I started to hit a lot of straight, medium-high bombs. Once I made the adjustment, I don't think I hit a ball outside of about 25 yards across. I also gained about 10-15 yards of distance over what I've been maxing out with so far this year. Basically, for the first time I've had this driver, I'm starting to gain some confidence. I'm looking forward to my league match this coming Tuesday.

I still find mis hits to be quite punishing with this driver, but I am liking the accuracy I'm getting now.

Somewhat vomit inducing but I guess it was inevitable: hit my R11 3W today off the fairway, took a divot and hit it really high...looked at the clubhead and a small stone got between the clubhead and ball. Left a big ugly mark and chipped the white a bit. Looks like I skied it off the tee or something.

Somewhat vomit inducing but I guess it was inevitable: hit my R11 3W today off the fairway, took a divot and hit it really high...looked at the clubhead and a small stone got between the clubhead and ball. Left a big ugly mark and chipped the white a bit. Looks like I skied it off the tee or something.

ouch, sorry to hear that, i had a hidden boulder take a chunck out of my mizzy 6 iron in a fairway bunker, we dug it up out of the bunker and it was like 8 inches around, it was massive, we had no clue how something like that could ever make it into a bunker.

well i have played several rounds with the R11 5 wood that I have and I like the head and I have been able to adjust it around a bit and have really liked what I saw on the range. I am getting ready to have the shaft pulled out of my 5 wood and have it tipped so that I can give it a whirl in the R11 and see what happens. I hate to say it but I am really not impressed with the blur shaft for my swing. I know others have liked it for their swing but I am really looking forward to putting in a shaft fitted for me and seeing what happens.

Again, I only skimmed and don't have the driver in hand yet, but the ASP only works if you set your club down on the ground to take your grip, correct? So if you grip your club in the air, ASP is useless?

that would be correct

well i have played several rounds with the R11 5 wood that I have and I like the head and I have been able to adjust it around a bit and have really liked what I saw on the range. I am getting ready to have the shaft pulled out of my 5 wood and have it tipped so that I can give it a whirl in the R11 and see what happens. I hate to say it but I am really not impressed with the blur shaft for my swing. I know others have liked it for their swing but I am really looking forward to putting in a shaft fitted for me and seeing what happens.

Nice work RW! Definitely keep us informed about the shaft swap. I am having some issues with the Blur in my T3 not that my swing has gotten out of its funky state. I have been looking for some R11 TP FW wood shafts on ebay to try and pick one up and do a comparison.

I got out to the range yesterday and hit my new T3. I left the settings at neutral ASP and kept the loft at 14* and inwas extremely please with my consistency with this club both off the ground and off the tee. I was hitting it very straight and long. I really couldn't have been happier with the session. I have the 80g Diamana Kai'li shaft in it and it is a great fit for me. I don't really know what my yardage was, but I know it was good. Super happy with the purchase so far!

Played 18 yesterday from the tips. I shot 3 over 75 for the best round this year so far.
I missed 2 fairways(1 was in the first cut) and averaged 270 off the tee which I think is great for the chilly weather(43 deg) and multiple layers of clothing.
The R-11 driver performed wonderfully! The 3 wood did not disappoint either. It was very easy to get the ball airborne and gave me some great distances.
From the turf I was getting between 230 and 250, depending on my swing. I really like this 3 wood and I highly recommed it. I still can't say enough good things about the driver as well. It is the best setup I have ever hit.

I got out to the range yesterday and hit my new T3. I left the settings at neutral ASP and kept the loft at 14* and inwas extremely please with my consistency with this club both off the ground and off the tee. I was hitting it very straight and long. I really couldn't have been happier with the session. I have the 80g Diamana Kai'li shaft in it and it is a great fit for me. I don't really know what my yardage was, but I know it was good. Super happy with the purchase so far!

Great to hear Dr. Teeth! I'm happy you have found success witht he T3. The R11 FW's are great clubs and looong.

Played 18 yesterday from the tips. I shot 3 over 75 for the best round this year so far.
I missed 2 fairways(1 was in the first cut) and averaged 270 off the tee which I think is great for the chilly weather(43 deg) and multiple layers of clothing.
The R-11 driver performed wonderfully! The 3 wood did not disappoint either. It was very easy to get the ball airborne and gave me some great distances.
From the turf I was getting between 230 and 250, depending on my swing. I really like this 3 wood and I highly recommed it. I still can't say enough good things about the driver as well. It is the best setup I have ever hit.

Wow Drumdog, you're a beast! 270 avg in 43* and layers is looooong! Great round from the tips and I am happy you are finding success with both the R11 driver and fw. Keep it up man!

DD you are the man!

Nice work DD. Glad to hear the Taylormade gear is performing for you. Keep it up!

Wow Drumdog, you're a beast! 270 avg in 43* and layers is looooong! Great round from the tips and I am happy you are finding success with both the R11 driver and fw. Keep it up man!

Thanks! When I say multiple layers, I had on a long sleeve undershirt, golf shirt and a windbreaker that's a little on the heavy side.
I think the R-11 and the Penta TP's are a perfect match. Although I did try a couple other balls (Pro V1 and B-330S) and they both performed great.
I did feel that the Penta balls felt like they were just a bit softer in the chilly temps and I liked that. I know I would have gotten a few more yards out of the drives and the 3 wood if the turf wasn't so water logged. I hit the 3 wood from the tee twice and both times it actually bounced 1 time for about 1 foot of roll and both were right at 245 from the tee according to my skycaddie. I am really looking forward to warmer weather and drier conditions.

Nice work DD. Glad to hear the Taylormade gear is performing for you. Keep it up!

Thanks Biggsy!
I have to write up my review of the Burner 2.0's and post that in a while.
Those bad boys are fantastic. They were on fire yesterday too.

That's great to hear! I've hit the 3 with a shaft I was fitted for and it was an absolute beast.

Thanks Biggsy!
I have to write up my review of the Burner 2.0's and post that in a while.
Those bad boys are fantastic. They were on fire yesterday too.
Several people have been happy with those irons so you are not alone. They are really long as well! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on them.

I had a Ho-Hum day with the 4 wood yesterday but it was more bad than good. Given though the lies I decided to hit from were not very good.

Off the tee I hit this thing great, I had the ASP set to Closed today and the loft to STD. Off the tee I hit a great shot on 9, didn't go very far (only about a 210 carry) but had no roll because it was so wet. This thing just feels so great and forgiving off the tee.

On the ground I used it on both par 5's to take a crack at the green but both were very ugly shots. The first one I hit from the rough and got right under it and skied it up in the air about 40 yards. Then next par 5 I had a downhill lie on the fairway and completely hooked the ball which was expected. Didn't choose my club choices very wisely on those but I just had to hit this thing.

Back