Using One Length Irons and More

Great listen. I too would probably base a one length on an 8 iron length. I just feel more comfortable with that length of club. Surprised you went all the way to the 4h though, that seems crazy to me. Have you noticed much differences in distance with the shorter club length in the 6, 5 area?

I too cannot do the FW in the bag, I don't have an excuse about 2 drivers, I just stink at hitting it

I finally listened to this today and it was entertaining. I agree on square crust for thin crust is fine ;)

I look forward to seeing how JB plays this season with one length. Crazy that he mentioned an 11 yard gap throughout the set that he is testing. I am playing OL forged tec 4i-PW and have about the same gap. I will hit PW anything under 125 yds with no hesitation, despite the Arccos smart distance. I have a little different gap than 11 yards up top, but my 4i had been 195 most of the year until some recent swing issues.
E10088F0-D401-4769-84D5-EAD1F5B47FE4.jpeg

Feeling a little attacked with this talk of the Burner 2.0s and the type of player who used them :LOL:
I gamed them just like everyone else.

It was a direct shot at golfers haha - those irons were freaking HOT.

I finally listened to this today and it was entertaining. I agree on square crust for thin crust is fine ;)

I look forward to seeing how JB plays this season with one length. Crazy that he mentioned an 11 yard gap throughout the set that he is testing. I am playing OL forged tec 4i-PW and have about the same gap. I will hit PW anything under 125 yds with no hesitation, despite the Arccos smart distance. I have a little different gap than 11 yards up top, but my 4i had been 195 most of the year until some recent swing issues.
View attachment 8976993
that gapping is insanely good!

I am really curious about one length irons. I think a set like this would work well for me:

Driver
3-5-7 FW
4H-5H OL
6-PW OL
GW
SW

I am nearly certain my next set of irons will be OL. I looked hard at Forged Tecs this year so I am excited to see what Cobra has to offer in 2021. The question would be to get 6 iron length or 7 iron length.

I am really curious about one length irons. I think a set like this would work well for me:

Driver
3-5-7 FW
4H-5H OL
6-PW OL
GW
SW

I am nearly certain my next set of irons will be OL. I looked hard at Forged Tecs this year so I am excited to see what Cobra has to offer in 2021. The question would be to get 6 iron length or 7 iron length.
I went a different direction in the length. If you get a chance, listen in as I talk a lot about OL.

I went a different direction in the length. If you get a chance, listen in as I talk a lot about OL.
Listened this morning. A few thoughts:

First @Canadan my favorite pizza is square (New Albanian in New Albany, IN):

o.jpg

I was a 1 FW person for 2 years and tried 3 hybrids for a while when I was hitting them really well. I have been working on my swing a bit and now I blast my fairway woods while also starting to have trouble launching a hybrid nearly as high as a FW wood. My 5 wood 18* is laughably higher launching than my 19* hybrid.

o.jpg

I was a 1 FW person for 2 years and tried 3 hybrids for a while when I was hitting them really well. I have been working on my swing a bit and now I blast my fairway woods while also starting to have trouble launching a hybrid nearly as high as a FW wood. My 5 wood 18* is laughably higher launching than my 19* hybrid.
that pizza looks incredible, but it presents as though you'll need to take a nap after eating it haha

o.jpg

Oh, that's not laughable - your 5 wd should see a much higher flight than a 19 H.

And a square, thin crust pizza still works - not as carb driven.

Last edited:
that pizza looks incredible, but it presents as though you'll need to take a nap after eating it haha
No comment LOL!!!

I came pretty close to going OL for the Morgan Cup but didn't because I couldn't wrap my head around the wedges being the length of a 7 iron. Now, I want to dip my toe in the water but don't want to drop the cash for a whole set. For those of you playing OL, what single club would you recommend for experimenting with the concept?

I came pretty close to going OL for the Morgan Cup but didn't because I couldn't wrap my head around the wedges being the length of a 7 iron. Now, I want to dip my toe in the water but don't want to drop the cash for a whole set. For those of you playing OL, what single club would you recommend for experimenting with the concept?

9 iron.

I think this is about right. I would say either end of the bag is where you want to test so either like a 5 or 9/pw is perfect. Just thinking about it I like the 9 here. 5 you might be tempted to swing too hard but most people hit the 9 pretty smooth. For whatever reason I've been getting along with my 8 better than any of the others recently though, but then again I've got some weird stuff going on with my swing this year. Good suggestion either way.

If a single iron, I would suggest 9i or 5i. But I believe you would get the best test from one at top and bottom.

@oumagic your gapping is crazy nice. I wish I had gapping like that. Sadly, the game has disappeared after I returned from Vegas. I hope to get it back with the lessons from true motion.
I have looked at my stats recently and have decided to drop the 3 wood all together next season and play a utility and hybrid instead. Don't think I could ever play a 62* wedge so better to fill the top than the bottom for me. Seems like I barley play the 3 wood in rounds and when I do it is less than stellar.

I think thin crust square pizza is just fine. It is able to keep its shape with out being flimsy and falling all over the place. I feel other pizzas would not fare so well in a square cut shape.

First four shots with no warmup with the PW. Like what I’m seeing here. Averaging about 7500 rpms of spin. After warmup I expect these to be right at the 130 number I look for.

B4D0DCAB-0B03-4501-B228-7DCB0BA89765.jpeg

Might listen to this one during lunch. One Length is something that's kind of been in the back of my mind since it's been talked about. The logic makes sense, and I had a couple REALLY good sessions, especially with the long irons, at some demo days. I think with the F8 One Lengths?

View attachment 8976993
That is a dialed in set.

First four shots with no warmup with the PW. Like what I’m seeing here. Averaging about 7500 rpms of spin. After warmup I expect these to be right at the 130 number I look for.

View attachment 8977259
Do you have an ETA (embargo date) on the club make/model reveal of your one length clubs? Very interested to hear about these mystery one length. If I was a betting man, I am wondering is its something using MIM technology... :unsure:

Do you have an ETA (embargo date) on the club make/model reveal of your one length clubs? Very interested to hear about these mystery one length. If I was a betting man, I am wondering is its something using MIM technology... :unsure:

I can't say yet, but I would say to pay attention to THP coming up soon.

Back