Using One Length Irons and More

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Off Course is back this week with a fantastic show. Hosted by Dan Edwards each Friday he gives you a deep look into the world of golf and equipment in a way unlike any other podcast has done before. Today, JB joins the show to talk about using One Length irons and the two share their thoughts on saying no to Fairway Woods.

It wouldn’t be Off Course without some tangents, but we discuss some new gear coming out soon including JB taking the One Length irons challenge with some new equipment that you will not want to miss. This show has a lot going on and it is an episode you will not want to miss.

Untitled-3-1024x692.jpg

Episode 33 is here and Dan and his guest JB discuss the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
This is hitting the website, forum and SoundCloud today, as an early preview and hit Apple Podcasts, Google and every place else on Monday.

Cool! I may be able to get an early listen in today. I’m ready to hear the fairway wood discussion but I’ve been leaning toward dropping my 3 wood recently.

Debating putting this on during the round today

will get a listen in at some point

Excellent listen by two who obviously know their stuff. Will be interesting on the one length try out feedback.

JB made salient points on why no FWs but I think that is an individual thing - I had an albatross with an older Callaway and have hit many other very good shots with various FWs - so very hard to give the entire concept up. There are many good models out there that are highly adjustable .

Might well drop to just one in bag in the future though, as you pointed out there so many good alternatives to put in bag.

Props on a good job and I also will eat square pizza when I break the low carb diet thing time to time.

Oh yes. family and friends. Keep me off the course today, and I'm taking you all Off Course with me. :p Should be fun.

Stoked to listen today! ☕ 🎧

Nice! Queued up for a listen; looking forward to hearing the debate on fairway woods (my old nemesis)

Some good topics, cant wait to listen.

Sounds like we will go from the great burger joint debate from the last episode, to the great pizza cutting debate of this one :ROFLMAO:

Will be listening while hanging Xmas lights this afternoon (y)

You have me with one length. I need to listen to this one. I should have time (with brain capacity) this afternoon. I would try one length. That's a change of heart of me. As I build a vision for what I want with golf into the future, consistency day to day and across good and bad body function days is at the core. If OL can give me a boost with consistency, I would be all in. The hard part is that I don't have means to demo or test OL, and building a mental database that would give me enough confidence to jump will take years at a minimum. So, I'll take the slow path. I'll pay attention when others take the the OL challenge. I also think highly of mr. jb (outside of his sugar food ways :p) and view him as a role model for how he embraces golf and equipment. I will enjoy his take.

@JB trying to unseat Bryson as the mad scientist! Looking forward to the results of the alleged one length experiment. End the attacks on fairway woods! I love my trusty 15 year old 3W, but I also use it to great effect from the tee and the fairway (and occasionally rough). But I did convince my Dad to remove his 3W for something he could actually hit. Love the Tech Studio sticker idea! 😆 Will be on the lookout for those during the next livestream! Still not sure how I feel about the @Canadan iron cover regardless of how far he hits it, but iron headcover > no putter headcover!

I’m glad you were able to put aside your differences and seamlessly transition from the tense conversation about Dan wiping down, buffing, and shining his clubs after every shot to the fun conversation about Thanksgiving and then Holiday Cheer!

• Haha
Reactions: JB
I enjoyed listening this morning. Looking forward, as is all of THP, to holiday cheer. I found the segment regarding fairways v. hybrids et al. interesting as adding a hybrid to my bag is one of my off season projects.

Great listen as always @Canadan and @JB, it was a good way to kill some time during a boring work day. The one length built to 8 iron length is really intriguing to me, can not wait to hear how that plays out and if they make it past May. ;)

I like how I set up around 12 items to discuss and we went wildly tangent/off-course with a couple instead haha

Always fun to chat with @JB as he bounces around with ideas on the game and what makes sense in the game. I love that we agree on the fairway wood but in two totally different ways.

This should be hitting Apple Podcasts and every place else momentarily. Thanks for listening everybody.

Just listened (Apple podcast app). I enjoyed the wide ranging free flow of topics and discussion. Not a big podcast listener, I tuned in mostly for the OL headline. 11 yard gaps ... that would be nice. 8i length. Hmm. I didn't realize different clubs can serve as the length. I look forward to learning about the new irons, OL or not. Then my interest jumped at the fairway woods discussion. I like my SZ 3wood and generally hit it well off the deck or on a tee, but my usage is honestly minimal. It is a rarely used club, and I feel like I even avoid it at times. But I've never thought of trying an alternative, probably not 2 drivers, however. IDK. I try to keep an open mind. Top of the bag is worth more thought this winter. I'm not keen on hybrids either. But first new irons, I think.

Holiday Cheer. :love:

Wow, really intrigued about the OL that @JB is putting together. Sounds like a lot of thought went into this, and I cant wait to see what the data days for the 2021 test year! I too, would build off of 8i of I went OL, so will be a fun follow.

Another great episode of #OffCourse! Well done @Canadan! Love the discussion of FW and have to say I’ve been contemplating second driver as @JB suggested. My 5W is my money FW for me, consistently keep it in play, but gap is too big from driver to 5w....

I can’t wait to follow the one length experiment with JB and can’t wait to partake in Holiday Cheer!

Great listen as usual!

Reactions: JB
Another great episode of #OffCourse! Well done @Canadan! Love the discussion of FW and have to say I’ve been contemplating second driver as @JB suggested. My 5W is my money FW for me, consistently keep it in play, but gap is too big from driver to 5w....

I can’t wait to follow the one length experiment with JB and can’t wait to partake in Holiday Cheer!

Great listen as usual!
haha, thanks bro... but you're doing it wrong.

HYBRID!

Finished the test of the podcast this morning.

The 3w...it is so much feast or famine for me. Either I get ahold of it, and it goes like crazy, or it's a topped shot that goes 30 yards. And when I do get a hold of it, I'm hoping it goes towards it's intended target. It's those perfect shots that keep me coming back though. I really dont use the 3w much though. Maybe once a round, or twice when I top my first 3w shot, and just walk up to the topped ball without changing clubs :rolleyes:

I support square pizza when it's in a party setting, multiple pizza choices are there, and smaller square pizzas are better for sampling. Otherwise triangles!

Great episode as always!

I don't do square pizza but rectangle pizza at times. My favorite pizza is a traditionally shaped slice - next time, talk sauce and toppings.

One length - I just don't know.

Hollow Bodies - trying them out in HMB - great feel.

Fairways - short hitters need the right one but possibly at shorter shaft lengths. I am not yet a huge fan of hybrids below 22 deg for short hitters. Oh, and shaft is huge. Not enough people use low kick shafts in fairways. If I had to carry only one fairway, it would be 17 degrees at 42 inches. But I go 43, 42, 41 inches if I would carry all 3 - I don't, but options off the fairway are nice. 4 wood is to prep the approach, but 5 wd could also do it. 7 wood is for ... I don't know, when I don't trust my 19 hybrid.

Second driver - I grip down on 45 in. to get to 43 in. But I would experiment with a 12.5 for straighter or controlled workability

Good show.

@JB I know you've mentioned it somewhere but what are your second driver specs? If I recall something in the 43i & 12 degree range? I have been thinking about this experiment myself as I really only use my 3w off the tee and anything from fairway is a 5w (which I however love and intend to keep in the bag :) ).

Debating putting this on during the round today

will get a listen in at some point
I’m jealous of how much golf you get to play! 😂

Back