gaboy

Reaction score
Handicap
I noticed Taylormade has changed their ball lineup on their website. They are now only showing 4 balls. The Penta, Tp Black, Tour Burner and Burner. It appears they are going to keep the Black as their 3 layer ball. Personally I really like the Black and am happy to see it is not Discontinued.

That is correct it appears based on demand. For some reason most thought their TP Black ball was the harder of the two (black vs red) kind of like Pro V1 and Pro V1x. It was actually the opposite. I thought the black was a great ball. I know some that had high swing speeds did have some ballooning issues (as expected) and they would move to the red or now the Penta. Its nice to see this ball back in the lineup (hopefully it stays).

That is correct it appears based on demand. For some reason most thought their TP Black ball was the harder of the two (black vs red) kind of like Pro V1 and Pro V1x. It was actually the opposite. I thought the black was a great ball. I know some that had high swing speeds did have some ballooning issues (as expected) and they would move to the red or now the Penta. Its nice to see this ball back in the lineup (hopefully it stays).

Agreed 100% I played the black for a lot of last year and loved it. I played with it for two rounds last week and loved it again. I hope they continue to keep this ball for some time, maybe well into August, for some of us. :act-up:

I played the Penta last week and loved the ball shot my lowest score ever and it lasted the entire round. I had tried to play it before and was not fond of it but the last couple of round I played it I have loved it. I keep changing balls back and forth but this one seems great.

I like the feel of the Black. It's a short ball for me, I just don't know if I have the SS for it. I think Taylormade is making a smart move especially since the black is $29.99 which is a pretty attractive price point.

Edit: Is the 2 for $50 going to be the reg price or is it just a sale price?

I bought a bunch of the TP black last year cause I read they were no longer offering it, stores basrely had any, then all of a sudden they were everywhere, including wal-mart. Glad to see they are going to keep it, its a great ball. And now at 2 dozen for $50, u cant beat it.

I'm a huge fan of the Penta TP, but I am going to buy a dozen of the TP Black and give them a try.
I'm not opposed to saving $10 if they play similar enough for my game.

Used the black for a long time, then did one of those Bridgestone ball comparisons and they said that I was loosing 10-15 yards by using the Black over the 330. Never truly believed it, but I still switched to the Pro-V1 (yes, still not the Bridgestone balls). Didn't see much difference between Pro-V1 and TP Black, besides the price. Maybe its time to switch back!

I used to play the TP Black quite frequency and liked it a lot. Glad to see that it has more life.

I noticed Taylormade has changed their ball lineup on their website. They are now only showing 4 balls. The Penta, Tp Black, Tour Burner and Burner. It appears they are going to keep the Black as their 3 layer ball. Personally I really like the Black and am happy to see it is not Discontinued.

The TP RED was my ball for a long time. The penta being a fits all size ball brought the end of that ball. The fact that the black is still around only reminds me of how much I loved the TP Red.

Oh well, I've moved onto srixon and i've found the ball for me TM. It's too late for sorry's and I miss you's. The Z star does everything I want it to and it lasts a whole round if not more.

Where the pent really shines for me is around the greens. My GW and sand shots were phenomenal with this ball. I hit a 70yd GW shot that landed about 8 yds past the cup and then rolled back to the cup to about 6 feet. I never put spin on a ball like that. This has been one of favorite balls to play with so far this season.

Tapatalkin' this mutha.

Used the black for a long time, then did one of those Bridgestone ball comparisons and they said that I was loosing 10-15 yards by using the Black over the 330. Never truly believed it, but I still switched to the Pro-V1 (yes, still not the Bridgestone balls). Didn't see much difference between Pro-V1 and TP Black, besides the price. Maybe its time to switch back!

Why not try the ball that is giving you more distance? If the Black and the ProV1 are both giving you the same distance and the monitor shows the Bridgestone is giving you more, why not switch?

I made that mistake once a few years back. One of them (red or black) used to say something like "for high spin players".
Well, what exactly does that mean? Does it spin LESS, because it's for high spin players? Or does it spin MORE, beacuse it's for high spin players? Then when I finally got it clarified here on THP, I had the sales guy at Golf Galaxy TELL ME THE EXACT OPPOSITE. Obviously he had never played the two and was just reading off the box to me.

*Sigh* Whenever a sales guy starts talking to me the first thing I ask them is "what do you play?". I want their honest opinion, I don't want them to just repeat the PR company page to me.

Offtopic:
But why did you go to the ProV1 and not the bridgestone?
Are you questioning the authenticity of the fitting? I am just curious because I think most of us would have switched for another 10 yards.

Id do anything for 10 yards lol

I like the Black more than the red. Glad it's back!

The black was a good ball indeed. Glad its still around at a great price.

Why not try the ball that is giving you more distance? If the Black and the ProV1 are both giving you the same distance and the monitor shows the Bridgestone is giving you more, why not switch?

The distance "difference" was only based off of Bridgestone's launch monitors. Not real life. I did get some more distance but not the 10-15 yards they promised. Based on the courses I play, I don't need the extra yardage (unless Im playing Bethpage Black), I prefer a softer ball that can spin more around the greens and feels soft when I'm putting. The Pro-V1 was my "softer" choice. The TP Black is very similar in feel.

Yes this is off topic, but I do question the the authenticity of launch monitors verse actual distance. I have not really found launch monitors to be that specific, especially the indoor ones at golf stores.

Yes this is off topic, but I do question the the authenticity of launch monitors verse actual distance. I have not really found launch monitors to be that specific, especially the indoor ones at golf stores.

That is not really a launch monitor, but a golf simulator in many cases.
The launch monitors that B-Fit uses are very accurate and we have compared them to actual distance quite a bit.
We use a Vector here and find their accuracy to be pretty darn spot on.
Its not always about total distance but launch numbers and I am kind of shocked that Bridgestone did not discuss that with you at your fitting and talk about spin, etc...

UPDATE:

The TP Black ball is not being reintroduced. It is still for sale at many outlets at a reduced price of $29.99, but according to TaylorMade right now, the ball is not being remade and relaunched.

UPDATE:

The TP Black ball is not being reintroduced. It is still for sale at many outlets at a reduced price of $29.99, but according to TaylorMade right now, the ball is not being remade and relaunched.

Darn, well I guess it will not be an option in the MC, I was really hoping it would be.

For the last couple of years I have played both the Red and the Black. Blacks for me would fly higher and carry a little farther than the reds and I hit the Blacks most of the time. I would switch to the Red when the wind was up because it had a lower trajectory and was easier to keep it down off of short irons, I guess because of less spin. I had never really tried a Penta until I played one last weekend. The Penta performs somewhere between the two previous TM balls in terms of trajectory and spin off the driver. Spin rate is good on approach shots and the distance is slightly better than the Black at a somewhat lower trajectory so the ball has to be coming off the face hotter/faster to go farther with a lower flight. I will probably make the switch to the Penta. I chipped one in and it felt fine putting, so I will probably stick with it.

Was never a fan of either the black or red and I thought of it as inferior compared to other premium ball offerings. They just would not perform for me.

The Penta changed all of that for me, it's a fantastic offering by Tatlormade. The Burner Tour is also good for lower swing speeds and at a great price.

For those of you that do like the black, it's hard to beat the price their being offered at now.

Back