Have you ever broken a window or hit a car, house etc. What did you do?

I did it 2 years ago. I tried hitting a draw and it went perfectly straight. It hit a truck’s back quarter panel and was LOUD. He didn’t even slow down. I think since it was a work truck he either had the radio up super high and didn’t realize what happened. Or didn’t care since it was a work truck.
595e784f036a14f18be53d14aa47f20f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last post was a good reminder. We don't have the same *opportunity* to hit homes and windows. Some courses are well set up to avoid that; others are well set up to DO that.

The course in Lubbock was Shadow Hills if I recall the name correctly. Long before they built the incredible Rawls course.
Yeah I played it a few times. Can't remember it that well though. I played mostly out at the Reece Golf Course out west of Lubbock as my dad's cousin were part owner at the time and I could play for free. There wasn't much to worry about out there as far as hitting anything.

One of our local courses has solar panels between the 9th & 11th. It looks like they should be far enough out of the way....however if they are on a golf course they will find a way to be hit!! I cannot personally take credit for hittinh any panels, but based on the cracks and smashes I can confirm solar panels are NOT safe from golf balls!! LOL
Cruz.png

In my youth I drilled a PW into a rear quarter panel on my mother's Geo Tracker.

Missed a window by 6 inches. Left a perfect golf ball sized dent in the panel.

What did I do?
Blamed my brother :p

never broke anything yet, but when I do ;), thank god my course membership comes with 3k of insurance/year. Buddy got a new windshield for his golf cart through that last year.
Hope I never need it though, lol

In my youth I drilled a PW into a rear quarter panel on my mother's Geo Tracker.

Missed a window by 6 inches. Left a perfect golf ball sized dent in the panel.

What did I do?
Blamed my brother :p
I was about to complement you for hitting such a small target...then I read you blamed your brother.:D

We have a course that runs down the side of a trailer park.
A super long par 4. You need a very accurate tee shot, and a well executed 2nd shot, to even just have a whif of the green in 3 shots.

I have had the tee shot on many occasions. I have had the 2nd shot on some occasions. I have never had BOTH on the same attempt.
Every single time I have screwed up that 2nd shot, I have put it into the trailer park.
Never have I heard glass, but I have heard a ball impact tin siding far far far too many times.

No idea what sucker buys the house 150 yrds off the tee on the inside of a dogleg right.

Playing in a 3 man calcutta scramble. #9 with a street to the left of the fairway. Ol boy on the other team completely smother hooked it left then all the sudden a car comes rolling down the street towards our direction and in the direction of the ball. His ball hit square in the middle of dudes windshield. He slams the brakes, gets out leaving the car in the middle of the street, door wide open, starts sprinting, jumps the fence Olympic style, and is headed for the tee box yelling "whoever it was your f*cking dead!" Luckely we got him calmed down when he got up there. He said "dude it was like a bomb went off inside my car it was so loud" Ol boy took care of it. The teams behind us finished 8 and rolled up as things were calming down and heard it but couldnt see it.

Now everytime I play that hole I aim to the right side of the fairway and really dont care if it goes into the hazard on the right hand side lol

I love it! As a golfer (and large) I could see me doing this just to mess with the poor guy that I know sure as hell wasnt meaning to do it. Well minus the sprinting and Olympic level jumping, lol. I am large. I can saunter angrily with the best of em.

No idea what sucker buys the house 150 yrds off the tee on the inside of a dogleg right.

According to figures, only 8% of the population plays golf. So, 92% of the population has no idea about the hazard of living 150 yards off a tee inside of a dogleg right.

The guy you always see using a ball retriever?

I was recently in a broken window situation for the first time. Partners ball, not mine, but it was unnerving. I felt soooo bad for the old couple who were just sitting inside reading and then crash. Really panicked them. And had my partner basically shaking with guilt. Tried to ooze as much calm as I could over the situation, made sure everyone was truly okay and okay with the plan going forward, and then tried to put it out of my mind. I had a birdie putt waiting. The whole thing was so bizarre. I'll get to see them again in a couple weeks when the window comes in, since I'm installing it. Never know. Might end up with a good long term customer out of a bad situation.

I have a friend that has hit so many houses that it's a running joke. If there's a house asking the course there's about an 80% chance he'll find a way to hit it. We've yet to hear glass break but have had several homeowners give him crap. The closest I've come is at a city course that has no warmup range and the first hole has a road and neighborhood to the right. I hit a huge push slice with driver that went over the houses and we didn't hear any sort of impact..

I was recently in a broken window situation for the first time. Partners ball, not mine, but it was unnerving. I felt soooo bad for the old couple who were just sitting inside reading and then crash. Really panicked them. And had my partner basically shaking with guilt. Tried to ooze as much calm as I could over the situation, made sure everyone was truly okay and okay with the plan going forward, and then tried to put it out of my mind. I had a birdie putt waiting. The whole thing was so bizarre. I'll get to see them again in a couple weeks when the window comes in, since I'm installing it. Never know. Might end up with a good long term customer out of a bad situation.

did your friend have to pay for the window or are you getting a much better Christmas present than expected this year?

also as a total hacker who probably hits double digit houses every year, I’ve never thought of befriending/ partnering up with a window installer. That is the a-ha moment of the century.

did your friend have to pay for the window or are you getting a much better Christmas present than expected this year?

also as a total hacker who probably hits double digit houses every year, I’ve never thought of befriending/ partnering up with a window installer. That is the a-ha moment of the century.
haha

Yeah, he's paying for the window. I'd treat him like one of my guys, and make him go with me after hours to fix his f-up, but we played there again and he was noticeably disturbed on that hole. Scene of the crime and whatnot. So I'll handle it. I'm new to that area and being helpful whenever you can/volunteering yourself or services/mentoring/etc, etc are always good ways to show people what you're about and develop local relationships. Always nice to do something really small like that with a new distributor to see how they do things before diving in blind on a big job, too. Rarely get that opportunity.

haha

Yeah, he's paying for the window. I'd treat him like one of my guys, and make him go with me after hours to fix his f-up, but we played there again and he was noticeably disturbed on that hole. Scene of the crime and whatnot. So I'll handle it. I'm new to that area and being helpful whenever you can/volunteering yourself or services/mentoring/etc, etc are always good ways to show people what you're about and develop local relationships. Always nice to do something really small like that with a new distributor to see how they do things before diving in blind on a big job, too. Rarely get that opportunity.

I completely agree, showing your face and helping in the community/ and doing the right thing in these weird instances always come back to reward you somehow. I’m in advertising and this philosophy absolutely holds true. Like you said if you do well on this window you might just monopolize a whole neighborhood worth of windows.

And good to know your friend now has demons to exercise on that hole. That will be a course to keep in the back pocket if you need to dip in the well for a match play win lol.

Have hit a roof or two. Must close club face.

I've hit a few roofs, but never broken anything. Fortunately on my home course, the homes are all set back far enough from the course that you really have to work at hitting one, it takes a commendably horrible shot. When I lived in Southern CA, almost every course we played was built in housing tracts with homes stuffed in right against the courses. Not much margin for error there.

Finally got to join the "Broke Something Playing/Practicing Golf Club" today :rolleyes:

Broken_uBarn_Siding-18pct.JPG

Wicked slice (10 yards forward and 12 to the right) while I was hitting off a mat in the backyard this afternoon. Vinyl siding's kind of brittle when it's cold.

Oops!

Fortunately, no..... but I'm FAR more aware when I drive down a road next to a hole about timing passing the tee box for after or before the group tees off!

I guess mine is the “etc.”. When I was first learning to play, I teed off and the ball was a very low screamer that curved hard right. It hit some old guy right in the thy. Dropped him like he’d been hit by buckshot. Thankfully, he was ok.

A few years ago I was playing a course that has homes lining the fairways. I hit a wicked snap hook that went into a guy's backyard, bounced off his pool decking, and ricocheted off the lid of his BBQ grill - which he was standing behind and had just raised the lid. 😬 He had a few choice words for me as we drove past, and one of the guys in my foursome said "He doesn't realize he was MF'ing the biggest dude on the course!". Hey, I had it coming - can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing, it probably scared the hell out of him.

Hey, I had it coming - can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing, it probably scared the hell out of him.
I can see him being freaked out. I probably would have been, too. But it is the nature of hitting a golf ball that occasionally you're going to misfire. Just like I knew I was rolling the dice by hitting from where I was: Anybody with a house adjacent to a golf course has to know errant balls will come their way. (Personally, despite the obvious attractions, I would not live there. Not so much out of concern for property damage, but by personal damage.)

Back