Have you ever broken a window or hit a car, house etc. What did you do?

Raiderboost

2023 Victory Cup Participant
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was playing with my dad right before Christmas and he hit a terrible drive off the toe that sliced towards the houses on the right. Disappeared behind the tree and we hear the sound of impact metal followed by the breaking of glass. I was surprised he didn't get mad that he did it. We pulled up to the house and I was trying to use my phone map to get the address to the house so we could find out the owner. About that time I see a guy inside and we wave him out. He just walked in the door and didn't know so my dad told him and got his information to pay for the window. My parents were leaving the next day for a couple weeks for the holidays and my dad tried getting a hold of the guy but hasn't heard back as of a couple weeks ago. The window was still broken at that time (just the outside pane).

One of the guys a few houses down that I play with a lot has the worst spot on the course as it is a dog leg right and he is in the landing zone of most pushed or sliced drives. He has spanish tiles and makes a couple trips a year down to Austin to buy replacement tiles (30-500 per year). He knew buying the house to build that cost into his maintenance budget. Said he also had a ball come through the top window of his living room and bounce around while he was eating breakfast.:ROFLMAO:

I was playing once in Mesa or Chandler, AZ and sliced a ball that bounced off the road into the door of an oncoming car. It appeared to be a pretty high end sports car and I'm sure scared the :poop: out of the driver.

So as the title states, have you and what did you do? Have you instead been the victim of this?

Came close a few times, but never heard the glass break. They have to be aware that they take the risk.

Plantation Golf Course in Frisco (for those DFW peeps who know). Had a lady come out on a par 5 and accuse us of breaking her window. Only thing was no one hit a ball near her location on the course. She threatened to call the pro shop (which we invited her to do) but no one ever came out. So odd.

I've knocked many a shingle nails back down but no glass breakage yet

Plantation Golf Course in Frisco (for those DFW peeps who know). Had a lady come out on a par 5 and accuse us of breaking her window. Only thing was no one hit a ball near her location on the course. She threatened to call the pro shop (which we invited her to do) but no one ever came out. So odd.

I know you used to play at Berry Creek. I think they flipped the 9's a few years ago so the front is now where you finish the par 3 8th and par 4 9th in the quarry by the club house. When you played it were the garden homes on the right of hole number 4? I know it used to have a split fairway before the homes were built on the right fairway.

My best story is about playing Muirfield....Yes that stodgy club in Scotland...We did the Scottish 36...You play 18 eat in your jacket and tie, change and go out and play pure Alt shot 18...So we are on 18 in the Alt shot my bud and I are hitting the 2nd's into the green. He fires off his shot and I look at him and say...WTH did you hit...he says 6 iron...I say ya only had like 130...His ball hits about 10 yards over the green, bounces and hits the pavement...It is going right at the front door. Two elderly types are going in that door...Just as the door closes the ball hits it....and hard...I put my bag on my back and left the course and told my bud, You are on your own....Ha Of all places...MUIRFIELD

I know you used to play at Berry Creek. I think they flipped the 9's a few years ago so the front is now where you finish the par 3 8th and par 4 9th in the quarry by the club house. When you played it were the garden homes on the right of hole number 4? I know it used to have a split fairway before the homes were built on the right fairway.
Yup, I hit many of balls into those backyards! Ha! You had to skirt that tree on the corner to get it down there and sometimes would over cook it into a yard. Grew up on the course. Do you get to play it at all?

Twice.

Last round I actually sliced a drive off someone's roof. Retrieved the ball from their backyard and nobody was home.

Now the other time I sliced a drive and smashed someone's garage door, and they were home. They came outside and I was like "That was me I'm sorry."

And to my surprise they were just like "That's ok." Took my 3rd shot from the side of the street and proceeded to make double bogey.

I was playing at a course at Captiva Island across a lagoon, as I recall. I picked a bad time to shank the ball and hit a huge window on a tour boat which looked Ok from my side of the water, but when I went to look, it was completely shattered. Homeowner's insurance paid for the whole thing.

I grew up laying house lined courses in eastern NC so I've hit more than my fair share of houses. Some how have managed not to break any windows yet.

The only thing I've ever broken on the course is my confidence.

Drive-able Par 4 that is 323yds but plays shorter. I was going to draw the ball around the lake and try to run
it up on the green. Needless to say I pushed it right and it stayed straight and took out the sliding glass door
on the back of the middle house in the photo. Nobody was home so I told the guy in the clubhouse and he
said, they have golf insurance so don't worry about it. I felt awful and left a note with my number. They called
me later that day and told me the exact same thing. It had been broken multiple times and he was putting in
a thick Plexiglas to replace it this time. I told him to put a net back there to catch the balls. I've played there
several times since and no net. LOL!!!

PF10.JPG

Yup, I hit many of balls into those backyards! Ha! You had to skirt that tree on the corner to get it down there and sometimes would over cook it into a yard. Grew up on the course. Do you get to play it at all?
Yeah it's my home course so I play it all the time. I've hit a few roofs over there but not often anymore. It is always nice when you get a good kick off a roof and end up in the fairway 50 yards out after hitting a provisional. It does leave a nice red mark on the ball.

the only question is when you hit it throw a window do you take it as a hazard or do you ring the bell and play threw

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Yeah it's my home course so I play it all the time. I've hit a few roofs over there but not often anymore. It is always nice when you get a good kick off a roof and end up in the fairway 50 yards out after hitting a provisional. It does leave a nice red mark on the ball.
Very nice. I hope it's still in good shape! Have a HIO on the 8th hole that goes down in the quarry. Never figured out how to play the 18th hole just right.

I hit a boat once! I was like 12-13. It was on a trailer in front of someone's garage. It was an aluminum jon boat. Made a heck of a noise!:oops:

I personally never have, but me and a good friend got pared up with a random single, and on 18th at Hillcrest here in Kansas City, he sliced a drive into the Pro Shop Window.

He immediately got in his cart to go "talk to the pro shop" but it turns out he actually just left the course.

Very nice. I hope it's still in good shape! Have a HIO on the 8th hole that goes down in the quarry. Never figured out how to play the 18th hole just right.

I've had probably 6 balls within a foot there and several on the other holes but still don't have one. A couple of the guys I play with have several out there. One is just missing one of the par 3's and will have an eagle on every hole. Another has completed the grand slam on the par 3's and just need 12 to have a 2nd grand slam.

18 is the hardest hole I think. I was actually playing in the club champions ship with both of them about a year and a half ago and the 2nd one flipped is cart going down 18. It was kind of wet and his brakes locked up and he slid side ways until the tires caught a dry patch and turned it over. I was on the hill and didn't see it and it sounded like a bunch of rocks were dropped onto a metal trailer. Crested the hill and saw it and ran over to make sure he was ok. He was climbing out as I got there and was luckily ok but banged up a little. It was a scary moment. The city had to put in a sewer line there by the creek and went ahead and fixed the cart path there since they had to rip up most of it. It's much better now.

I've hit the roofs of houses several times, but never broken a window or even hit one. I did shank one into someones patio and it hit their grill and bounced back into the rough along their house.

Played with my brother and two teenage nephews this past summer. One of my nephews sliced one pretty wickedly on a tee shot which I thought was sure to end up through the glass back door of a house. Luckily the ball hit the door frame. Waited for someone to come out of the house, but no one ever did.

Houses along courses have to be used to having balls hit all the time I would imagine.

I once hit an approach shot into a Lincoln four-door convertible, top down, in the parking lot. The had tufted leather upholstery with small leather covered buttons in the tufts. Instead of rolling back to the junction of the seat and the backrest, my ball came to rest in one of the tufts.

I looked for white stakes and saw none. Thus, I removed my spikes (steel in those days) and lobbed out from the back seat of the car. I had a very restricted backswing but managed to get my ball out, at least past the asphalt.

My shot left scratch marks on the leather and loosed the button. I was going through some stuff at work at the time, so I left an apologetic note signed with my department head's name and phone number.

I was just a kid in my thirties at the time and didn't know any better. My nine year old son, now in his forties, was pulling my bag-trolley (they were pulled and not pushed in those days), however, and he still brings it up from time to time.

I was practicing bunker shots in a sand-volleyball court in my old apartment complex's park and had a 25y bunker shot go approx 100y into an upstairs window.

I go to that guys front door and he's there outside waiting for me, in a greasy white t-shirt with half a cig hanging out of his mouth. "This your's", he asked, holding up the ball. I ditched my club under a shrub beforehand but nodded reluctantly. "Come'n up here", he says.

I'm a bigger guy, and this guy is a 'neighbor', so I went up trustingly. He points toward the broken window and there just in front of it was a MASSIVE SALT WATER TANK sporting a couple 15-20" sharks. Tank stretched maybe 6' wide and was tall enough to reach halfway up the window (30-36" tall?). The ball went through the TOP HALF of that window pane, missing everything tank-related. It had a cover on it so no glass went IN the tank either.

Turns out he was a maintenance man there and had replacement windows on hand. Didn't cost me anything except my dignity. Amazes me still that it missed it somehow, but that was the only sign I needed to know NOT to hit balls in HIS direction anymore... ;-)

I've hit a roof or two but I've never broken anything. We have houses all along about three holes on our course. Was with a friend a couple of years ago, and said friend is definitely not very good at golf. On this long par 5 that is lined with houses on the right, he hit a sky high slice and we just waited to hear the sound of glass or the safer thud of a roof. It ends up hitting the roof and we drive the cart over to where we think it might be and the owner was out mowing his yard. Guy says to all of us, you need to play better. My friends was totally ready to apologize and make sure everything was okay but when the guy said that, all my friend said was "you don't say? lucky that isn't our ball, have a good day!"

Guy lives on a public golf course. You gotta expect that to happen occasionally, but don't be a dick about it. Especially if nothing was broken and we were ready to profusely apologize about it

I’ve hit 2 moving vehicles. One was a junker going the opposite way and I hit it in the trunk. He didn’t miss a beat and kept rolling. The other one was coming my way and I hit a drive and it it hit a telephone wire and dropped right on top of his roof. He pulled over and I went and talked with him. He was cool and no damage was found.

Back