Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 Irons Review

Unexpectedly sold my P790s to a friend this afternoon, and a few hours later, I have a combo set ordered. Went with ZX5 (5-6), ZX (7-P) with Recoil 95s. Enjoyed my time with the P790 but wanted to go back to a single piece forging for that buttery feel
Good choice! That’s exactly the set I picked!

Why the drop in weight from the 110's in your sig?

To be honest I ordered those with PX LZ sight unseen and after playing with them, realized that they were too heavy for me. My previous two sets both had the modus 105S which suited me well, but wanted to move to graphite since I’ve been having some wrist pain lately (not sure if it’s from golf or the gym). Hoping these Recoils will be a good fit!

Unexpectedly sold my P790s to a friend this afternoon, and a few hours later, I have a combo set ordered. Went with ZX5 (5-6), ZX7 (7-P) with Recoil 95s. Enjoyed my time with the P790 but wanted to go back to a single piece forging for that buttery feel

Now that is how it's done. Great choice! Can't wait to hear how it goes.

Why the drop in weight from the 110's in your sig?
Great question.

I remember taking with JB and Danny about the lighter weight of 95 at the graphite challenge and how much they preferred that. I have wanted to try the 95s, but I was coming from 125g shafts and 110 seemed to make sense. At the distance bash my villa won the villa crawl (@Tevenor) and with that I got a set of custom Recoil Protos. I was going to go with 95s, but I decided that I wanted them in some Forged Tecs so I went 110 again for comfort. I didn’t get along with those clubs as well as I would have liked so now a buddy is playing them and I went back to the PTx Pros with the 110 Protos.

Fast forward, I have another set of Recoil 110 Protos that need some heads, and I wasbetween this set and some Mizuno 921 model. When I was tracking these down, I saw that the stock graphite option were 95 recoils, so I figured it was a great, low risk chance to give the lighter weight a fun. If they click then they will stay, if not then I’ll swap shafts, throw the 95s in the forged tecs, and take those 110s and put them in some Mizunos I think. I thought about going with the Mitsubishi MMT 105, but the price was $250 more and I have loved the Recoils so much over the last year and a half.

I’m excited to try a lighter shaft now that I have improved my swing a bit over the last year.

Great question.

I remember taking with JB and Danny about the lighter weight of 95 at the graphite challenge and how much they preferred that. I have wanted to try the 95s, but I was coming from 125g shafts and 110 seemed to make sense. At the distance bash my villa won the villa crawl (@Tevenor) and with that I got a set of custom Recoil Protos. I was going to go with 95s, but I decided that I wanted them in some Forged Tecs so I went 110 again for comfort. I didn’t get along with those clubs as well as I would have liked so now a buddy is playing them and I went back to the PTx Pros with the 110 Protos.

Fast forward, I have another set of Recoil 110 Protos that need some heads, and I wasbetween this set and some Mizuno 921 model. When I was tracking these down, I saw that the stock graphite option were 95 recoils, so I figured it was a great, low risk chance to give the lighter weight a fun. If they click then they will stay, if not then I’ll swap shafts, throw the 95s in the forged tecs, and take those 110s and put them in some Mizunos I think. I thought about going with the Mitsubishi MMT 105, but the price was $250 more and I have loved the Recoils so much over the last year and a half.

I’m excited to try a lighter shaft now that I have improved my swing a bit over the last year.
That is great to hear and obviously great that you have some choices.
I was the opposite and have played the Recoil 95 for close to 4 years. I was having an issue with the lefts pulls and since I tried the ZX7's in the Modus 120S and it seemed to eliminate it I went that way with my own set. So far so good and the lefts have all but been eliminated. The big deciding factor for me to keep the 120 will be how my elbow holds up. I went Recoils because of a minor injury and some pain after rounds.
I hope these work out for you. Looking forward to the feedback.

It was, but they really wanted out of the house, how could I say no. :)
I really think a lot of guys/gals who hit these will really like them and have set.
I let @shanewu hit a 7 iron on a par 3 and he hit a beautiful high draw and said it felt really good.
That was probably the only good iron shot I had all damn day. I think it was playing 167 and I must have hit it around 160.. Feel is fantastic.

That is great to hear and obviously great that you have some choices.
I was the opposite and have played the Recoil 95 for close to 4 years. I was having an issue with the lefts pulls and since I tried the ZX7's in the Modus 120S and it seemed to eliminate it I went that way with my own set. So far so good and the lefts have all but been eliminated. The big deciding factor for me to keep the 120 will be how my elbow holds up. I went Recoils because of a minor injury and some pain after rounds.
I hope these work out for you. Looking forward to the feedback.
That’s interesting to hear. My miss lately has been a hard pull, so hopefully those don’t bet magnified by a lighter shaft. But I got high hopes here. Worst case, I’ll track down a set of Recoil 125 Protos. But I think I’ll be good.

I have second thoughts about going with the ZX7 7 iron. I think it was aspirational on my part having never hit this set before ordering.

That’s interesting to hear. My miss lately has been a hard pull, so hopefully those don’t bet magnified by a lighter shaft. But I got high hopes here. Worst case, I’ll track down a set of Recoil 125 Protos. But I think I’ll be good.

I have second thoughts about going with the ZX7 7 iron. I think it was aspirational on my part having never hit this set before ordering.
7 iron is pretty easy to hit, still has the tungsten in the toe and is forgiving enough. I think you will be fine with it.
125 protos sound like a slick combo in these.

Pulled the trigger on a combo set after hitting at a Srixon fitting event on Saturday :rockon:

Went 4-6 ZX5 and 7-PW ZX7 with Modus 125X shafts. Exotic shafts so the ETA was 3-4 weeks to ship, but super excited to join the Srixon iron fam.

I was pretty set on 7-iron in the ZX5 until I hit them outdoors at the fitting. Forgiveness was very close, but the feel was definitely a better with the ZX7. I was actually hitting the 7s so well I thought about just going straight 7s for the whole set, but decided to stick with my original plan to combo.

I almost ordered a ZX5/ZX7 combo set over the P770s and it was oh so close but the tighter dispersion on the TMs had me thinking twice. These do really feel phenomenal though, if I was a little better ball striker in the irons department they would undoubtedly be in the bag.

I almost ordered a ZX5/ZX7 combo set over the P770s and it was oh so close but the tighter dispersion on the TMs had me thinking twice. These do really feel phenomenal though, if I was a little better ball striker in the irons department they would undoubtedly be in the bag.

I also tested the P770s when I first hit the ZX7/ZX5s and had similar feedback on sound/feel. I really wanted to love the P770s as I really like the concept of the iron as a sort of players-tech iron, and the looks are fantastic IMO, but the feel wasn't able to compete with the Srixon/Mizunos I was also testing. Performance was also better for me on Srixon, which sealed the deal in favor of the ZX combo.

Time for a new putter too!!!! ;)

It’s on my radar.

Keen on a Scotty if they go back to the matador grips.

The PXG wide blade also in the mix.

Must not play these irons. Said I wasn't going to play them. Must not play them..

:confused:

Took a few swings with both the ZX5 and ZX7 and have to admit I kind of preferred the ZX5 for me. Both look fantastic and feel great, maybe I’m just getting old or maybe I’m wiser but the forgiveness is definitely nice

Anyone care to comment on these vs. Hogan's? The obv. difference is loft and price but how about feel, forgiveness etc.
I'm in hard ponder mode on "new and shiny". Currently gaming Mizzuno MP18's with recoils and have grown accustom to how they play and feel.

Anyone care to comment on these vs. Hogan's? The obv. difference is loft and price but how about feel, forgiveness etc.
I'm in hard ponder mode on "new and shiny". Currently gaming Mizzuno MP18's with recoils and have grown accustom to how they play and feel.
Which Hogans, the PTx Pros? I should be able to answer this question once the Srixons arrive, but I do know that @Jman has hit both.

Can’t comment on Hogans but I can tell you that these won’t feel quite as good as your Mizunos but definitely aren’t slouches in the feel departments

Which Hogans, the PTx Pros? I should be able to answer this question once the Srixons arrive, but I do know that @Jman has hit both.

Looking at a combo set of either one.

Took a few swings with both the ZX5 and ZX7 and have to admit I kind of preferred the ZX5 for me. Both look fantastic and feel great, maybe I’m just getting old or maybe I’m wiser but the forgiveness is definitely nice
My set starts at the 6i because I have been having issues launching the lower irons. I could easily play a 5i in the ZX5. I was launching the 6 high and long with little issue. I was surprised how much easier it was than the 585’s.

Looking at a combo set of either one.
The Srixons will be longer heel to toe as far as size is concerned.

For feel, the Z’s are deep and slightly firm feedback while the Hogans are more dense. Two different but both pleasant feels.

Forgiveness wise, if you’re combining the 5’s and 7’s then the 5’s are the most forgiving of all four sets we are discussing, followed by the PTx Pro, then ZX7, then ICON.

Hope that helps some?

The Srixons will be longer heel to toe as far as size is concerned.

For feel, the Z’s are deep and slightly firm feedback while the Hogans are more dense. Two different but both pleasant feels.

Forgiveness wise, if you’re combining the 5’s and 7’s then the 5’s are the most forgiving of all four sets we are discussing, followed by the PTx Pro, then ZX7, then ICON.

Hope that helps some?

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, that helps.....let the ponder continue.

Back