Best Driver of 2011

No_Three_Jacks

Amateur around scratch
Reaction score
Handicap
My FT-iz is a great driver, but I'd like to get a new driver soon. I dont know what to get. Ive hit many different drivers, but its so hard to get non bias launch information about drivers these days. Like I'll search reviews of drivers and all it says is what the company has on its website. Drivers I like are the Callaway razr and razr tour, Burner 2.0 TP, Nike mach, and the 910 series from titleist. i want to know what head has the best combination of forgivness and distance. Whatever driver I get, I will put a shaft upgrade in it. If all the 2011 drivers are put in a robot and the robot swings the exact same what drivers are the longest? Can anyone provide any info?

My FT-iz is a great driver, but I'd like to get a new driver soon. I dont know what to get. Ive hit many different drivers, but its so hard to get non bias launch information about drivers these days. Like I'll search reviews of drivers and all it says is what the company has on its website. Drivers I like are the Callaway razr and razr tour, Burner 2.0 TP, Nike mach, and the 910 series from titleist. i want to know what head has the best combination of forgivness and distance. Whatever driver I get, I will put a shaft upgrade in it. If all the 2011 drivers are put in a robot and the robot swings the exact same what drivers are the longest? Can anyone provide any info?

There is no such things as the best driver. It depends on the person. We did shoot outs in the past and it showed, while we declared a winner, how close everything was. For instance, some drivers are better for low spin and some are better for high spin. Some come with incredible shafts as a standard option and others come with what many consider weaker options as standard. The best way to get past all the info is one of two ways.

1. Hit them all on a monitor and see what gives you the best numbers
2. Get to a THP Demo Day at some point and hit them all side by side.

Not every driver needs a shaft upgrade. THe only thing that matters is that the shaft fits you.

There is no such things as the best driver. It depends on the person. We did shoot outs in the past and it showed, while we declared a winner, how close everything was. For instance, some drivers are better for low spin and some are better for high spin. Some come with incredible shafts as a standard option and others come with what many consider weaker options as standard. The best way to get past all the info is one of two ways.

1. Hit them all on a monitor and see what gives you the best numbers
2. Get to a THP Demo Day at some point and hit them all side by side.

Not every driver needs a shaft upgrade. THe only thing that matters is that the shaft fits you.

I can never hit a demo with the shaft I want ie Fuji Rombax. I mean I would want a low spinning head with forgiveness but is that possible? Usually to provide MOI golf companies put the weighting low and in the back of the driver...but what this does is lower the center of gravity thus making it higher spinning.

I can never hit a demo with the shaft I want ie Fuji Rombax. I mean I would want a low spinning head with forgiveness but is that possible? Usually to provide MOI golf companies put the weighting low and in the back of the driver...but what this does is lower the center of gravity thus making it higher spinning.

There may be many shafts that fit perfectly into your goals. The only way to find that out is via a fitting or demo day.

I've always really liked Cobra's driver range. Had the LD Speed, L4V and now on the S9 Pro S... which is probably my favourite. Haven't tried their 2011 clubs, though.

I agree that a fitting is the only way to go. My buddy is hammering the new Nike VR Pro but the exact club with his set-up, 9.5* PX 6.0, doesn't do a thing for me. Too much spin. While he actually hits my driver very well. So things, as far as finding the best driver for your game, are not always as they may appear.

I've always really liked Cobra's driver range. Had the LD Speed, L4V and now on the S9 Pro S... which is probably my favourite. Haven't tried their 2011 clubs, though.

Do they offer plenty of different shaft options? Because I LOVE my S3 driver with Blueboard shaft (also really like it with a Mitsu Bassara and Ozik Matrix Code-6) but HATED the performance of the stock Blur.

If I didn't already have the Diamana from an S2, I'd never have given the club a second look with that stock shaft.

I agree that a fitting is the only way to go. My buddy is hammering the new Nike VR Pro but the exact club with his set-up, 9.5* PX 6.0, doesn't do a thing for me. Too much spin. While he actually hits my driver very well. So things, as far as finding the best driver for your game, are not always as they may appear.

Do they offer plenty of different shaft options? Because I LOVE my S3 driver with Blueboard shaft (also really like it with a Mitsu Bassara and Ozik Matrix Code-6) but HATED the performance of the stock Blur.

If I didn't already have the Diamana from an S2, I'd never have given the club a second look with that stock shaft.

I never thought about a new shaft as I really like the Matrix OZIK Xcon 6 which comes with the S9 Pro. I know the new line come with Aldila shafts... Voodoo or RIP, which I also like. I'm pretty sure you can have a few to select from, though. I agree on the Blur as well

I looked over your list and noticed some great 2011 drivers that were missing, drivers that come with premium shafts stock. That would be the Cleveland line, xl270/sl290/tl310. If you don't give them a chance you're definitely missing out.

I looked over your list and noticed some great 2011 drivers that were missing, drivers that come with premium shafts stock. That would be the Cleveland line, xl270/sl290/tl310. If you don't give them a chance you're definitely missing out.

On that note, you could also get the same premium shaft line in an adjustable driver with the Srixon Z-Star (kinda tough to find to demo in some locales though).

What does it matter if a robot was hitting the drivers? You're not a robot, I hope even if you carry a 1.7, you still should go demo some drivers. And why that specific shaft? Do you know how it will perform when coupled with your driver head of choice?

What does it matter if a robot was hitting the drivers? You're not a robot, I hope even if you carry a 1.7, you still should go demo some drivers. And why that specific shaft? Do you know how it will perform when coupled with your driver head of choice?

If a robot hits driver A 275yds and with the same exact model ball hits driver B 263yds then naturally I would be more interested in driver A. Would you agree or disagree? The reason for the robot is to have some sort of control in the driver test.

Unless you have the same swing as the robot, I would disagree. I know what you mean, however.

I have found over the last few years nothing helps other than testing clubs myself

If a robot hits driver A 275yds and with the same exact model ball hits driver B 263yds then naturally I would be more interested in driver A. Would you agree or disagree? The reason for the robot is to have some sort of control in the driver test.

Personally, I would not be interested. Unless that robot had my exact swing, the reults mean nothing to me. Plus, the only way to make it a pure control, all of the drivers would have to have the same safts. It would be interesting to see the reults, but I doubt it would influemce my buying decision.

The robot swings perfectly, I do not. Therefore driver B may be a better fit for my swing and give me more distance and accuracy.

No, not really because it is all about what fits my game. That is why we have THP Demo Days once a year to let forum members hit just about everything on the market on the course.

Personally, I would not be interested. Unless that robot had my exact swing, the reults mean nothing to me. Plus, the only way to make it a pure control, all of the drivers would have to have the same safts. It would be interesting to see the reults, but I doubt it would influemce my buying decision.

If all the drivers had the same shaft and all were hitting the same ball it doesnt matter what swing the robot is using. If one driver is clearly longer than the others than I'd have to give it serious thought. Thats just me. Don't get me wrong tho... When I picked out my Ft-iz I selected something forgiving that got good reviews for distance. I then called Fujikura and gave the expert there my launch numbers and we talked about what I wanted in a shaft. He then made 5 recomendations and we narrowed it down from there.

If all the drivers had the same shaft and all were hitting the same ball it doesnt matter what swing the robot is using. If one driver is clearly longer than the others than I'd have to give it serious thought. Thats just me. Don't get me wrong tho... When I picked out my Ft-iz I selected something forgiving that got good reviews for distance. I then called Fujikura and gave the expert there my launch numbers and we talked about what I wanted in a shaft. He then made 5 recomendations and we narrowed it down from there.

True, but why it you couldn't find the sweet spot on driver A or it's sweet spot is lower than driver B? Your swing isn't always the same - therefore you have to find driver that rewards your good swings and doesn't penalize your poor swings...no robot is going to tell you that.

Tap before talk.

True, but why it you couldn't find the sweet spot on driver A or it's sweet spot is lower than driver B? Your swing isn't always the same - therefore you have to find driver that rewards your good swings and doesn't penalize your poor swings...no robot is going to tell you that.

Very good point. Center-strikes on my S3 offer great results but I really enjoy a wow-effect with contact a touch high and just a bit toward the toe. Could be my swing but it also happens to fall in line with Cobra's claims of an elleptical sweet spot on the S3. Your point being, and well taken, it's really not so simple as hooking drivers up to a robot in a "controlled" environment. Controlled does not necesarily equate to equal. Too many variables.

BUT I must concede to N_T_J that if a club is off the charts in robotic comparisons in relation to others, it will pique my interest. I'll still approach my own tests objectively, but extreme numbers in testing will catch my attention.

I never thought about a new shaft as I really like the Matrix OZIK Xcon 6 which comes with the S9 Pro. I know the new line come with Aldila shafts... Voodoo or RIP, which I also like. I'm pretty sure you can have a few to select from, though. I agree on the Blur as well

Thanks, Murray, appreciate the response. Xcon 6 is a great shaft, you got a winner there.

Heads work with certain swings. Same with shafts. A robot doesn't equal you (most likely). That said, my favorites this year were the Cleveland 290, the Wilson Staff DXI, and the Callaway RAZR Hawk.

Back