Ask Club Champion?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
We will be at @Club Champion next week for a number of things including the lucky winner of our contest that won a trip to Chicago, wedge fitting and golf.

While there we have set aside some time to get your questions answered. So here is your chance.

Ask anything you want about fitting, Club Champion, etc. And we will get lots answered.

What type of training do your club fitters go through?

I've always thought the head was more important than the shaft when it comes to golf equipment. In fact a driver fitting I had done fitted for head then shaft... However Nick stated on the off course podcast that it was the other way around. Did the line of thinking change?

How many CC customers are fit into stock settings/offerings from the OEM vs having to go custom whether it be shaft or swing weight, etc..

After a few swings, what are the first factors that you look at when analyzing someone's fitting needs?

Do any trends jump out from specific handicap groups regarding numbers (i.e. what do low handicappers produce that a lot of that high handicappers don't)?

What is the biggest improvement you have seen in the span of 1 fitting?

Do they ever fit folks in a face-balanced putter or do they always recommend some about of toe hang?

Last edited:
How much weight do your fitters normally give to customer input from the pre-fitting interview?
Examples:
Before my CC driver fitting a few years ago, I mentioned that I struggled with dispersion when using lighter than 60 g class shafts, but during the fitting we only tried lighter shafts, even though the data showed the best dispersion was with my 60+ gram gamer.
On the other hand, during a CC iron fitting, I mentioned I was very interested in hollow body irons, we tried all kinds of irons, including plenty of hollow bodies.

Any plans on a all encompassing ball fitting?

Based on their data/experience, how often do Club Champion feel there is a statistical improvement for a player currently playing fitted clubs to upgrade? I've heard some suggest that woods are a couple years, irons/wedges are somewhere between 5-10 years depending on the design (distance vs consistency), and putters are pretty much never as long as it fits.

What is there philosophy on the correct lie angle? Is it fitted to 0* at impact or manipulated to get a flight.

I would be curious to know if different lofts of irons and wedges affect the fittings? A strong lofted iron versus a normal or weak loft iron set.

I would want to know if they have swing weight issues between fitted clubs using their system to the final product and whether customers notice or they get returns because results are not the same.

I'm curious what the biggest mistake or fault they see from average goflers during the fitting process?

Also, maybe it's pride, ego, or arrogance, but what's the one thing that an average golfer could improve on if they would just be realistic with themselves?

All of the questions that are there are the ones that I'm also thinking of. The only additional thing would be how consistent should you be with your swing before going to get a club fitting.

I went a couple weeks ago, just to do a prelim and to look at what I should be looking at with a club pro that's a fitter in my FIL's club. He didn't recommend me getting a set of customs or even looking at dropping a lot of money because my swing is inconsistent. He said the swing that I have right now isn't necessarily the swing that I'll have in 6 months or a year if I continue to get lessons and practice and it could work great for me in both the short term and the long term he wanted to make sure that the clubs would be long haul clubs during my development.

This is in contrast to an article published here last month saying that everyone (I'm paraphrasing) should get a club fitting.

In short, without a repeatable swing what are the benefits of getting a fitting. Especially while you're still finalizing your swing.

What do you do when you simply can't help the customer, because they're either unrealistic in their expectations, or they're just not giving you a whole bunch to work with?

If my fitting is completely unsatisfactory ( wrong head, wrong swing weight, etc.), how do you remedy it?

I would like to hear what the club champion university is all about and what the fitters go through to learn how to properly fit!

Just wondering how they justify charging people more than retail pricing on component pieces when they do a build. Seen build sheets with PX shafts at $70 and GP Tour Velvet grips at $10 each??

Why do you charge so much over other fitters even if I don't opt for "puring" the shafts? Almost a grand more expensive for the exact same set of irons from a local shop that had a TrackMan as well.

I know this is an abrasive question but the people gotta know; I figure it'll be marketing BS but at least you can try, I guess.

Do you see a trend as far as a vast number of people being fit in to the same heads? If so is there reason to believe that head may be preferred by fitters? I know every customer is not trying every head available so my thought would be are fitters leaning towards something they either personally prefer or have just found success with a larger number of players.

Do you see a trend as far as a vast number of people being fit in to the same heads? If so is there reason to believe that head may be preferred by fitters? I know every customer is not trying every head available so my thought would be are fitters leaning towards something they either personally prefer or have just found success with a larger number of players.
Personal preference from the individual obviously is going to play a role into a fitting.. If the numbers are close, I bet a good percentage would go with what they are familiar with, or with what the masses lean to.

That in mind, I had a great chat with Nick Sherburne on Off Course where he put it simply... Their goal is to put the best product in play for each golfer, and it would add a lot of work to their plate if they did anything BUT that.

Just recommended a putter fitting for a friend at CC... How do they suggest a putter that might not be the "dream" putter of the person getting fit?

How do they break down the Scotty or bust movement?

How does a fitter know when they're reached 'peak performance' when doing a fitting?

Personal preference from the individual obviously is going to play a role into a fitting.. If the numbers are close, I bet a good percentage would go with what they are familiar with, or with what the masses lean to.

That in mind, I had a great chat with Nick Sherburne on Off Course where he put it simply... Their goal is to put the best product in play for each golfer, and it would add a lot of work to their plate if they did anything BUT that.
Ahh of course but people are people. I want to know if they see any major trends and what they attribute those trends to

How about...any future plans to have an instructor on location to offer private lessons?

Back