Pre shot routine and tempo

Your Pre-Shot Routine?

Your Pre-Shot Routine?

What does yours look like or include?

I used to tee it up, step back take 2 slow full swings, step up and hack.

This season I've changed completely, I tee it up, step back check my target/alignment, step and hack. I'm now saving time and mentally committing to the shot sooner I feel and somewhat conserving energy mentally and physically.

It seems like to me a good number of pros have very quick pre-shot routines. Not a lot seem to take full on practice swings if any at all except for maybe around the green.

So what does yours look like?

1) Step up and stand like I am about to hit
2) Stand behind the ball, pick a spot about 6" infront of it as alignment
3) Line up to the ball, feet together
4) Feet apart
5) Waggle, hit

If it's an unfamiliar lie or rough throw in practise swing between 1 and 2

Tee in the ground
Step back and visualize shot
Step up and take a practice swing and then take my real swing.

Tee it up, pick the line, get comfortable in my setup, and hit it. Try to stay out of my own way by overthinking.

If I play with someone that does a lot of quirky things, I won't watch cause their pre-shot routine (minus any practice swings) creeps into my mind. weird, but true.

Used to take 2 practice wings. Now I step up look at the target and hit. I try not to think too much about the shot.

Merged with a rather lengthy thread on the subject.

1. Step in behind ball
2. Take a practice swing or two. This is to get my tempo and "feel" just as I want it, not even thinking about aim at this point.
3. Back away and get lined up.
4. Address ball.
5. Deep breath - Very Important!
6. SWING AWAY!

today it was tee it up
get behind the ball to pick my line all the while taking a few mini swings
step up to ball
waggle a lil to loosen up
swing

then tee up another while saying "ummm... im gonna hit a provisional... that looked pretty deep"

Used to take 2 practice wings. Now I step up look at the target and hit. I try not to think too much about the shot.

+1 for me also. I probably don't take as much time as I should, I have tried to get into a different routine but it never last. I always go back to this.

This is a great thread. I'm enjoying reading all the routines. This may very well be the worst part of my game because I really don't stick with one routien. Sure I set the ball find my spot in the grass in front of the ball to set my line, then step up. Oh yeah, I make two pre-swings, but Im notorius for adding this and that. Towards the end of the season I started trying to set a systematic routine like I have with putting, we'll see if I can stick with it.

This Yoccos guy is a joke. I've seen him golf and he doesn't do this. Maybe he should try and remember his pre shot routine.

Awesome thread... I just started a preshot routine and it helps. Its been evolving but I found that if I stand behind the ball, aim and pick a target a few inches in front of the ball it keeps me online. It also helps me drive through the ball. I take a half swing to get loose but I might drop it all together. The less time I spend the better my shot is. If I just aim, pick a target, set up and swing... I do much better. My swing thoughts are now limited to slow backswing, finish the backswing and start with my feet.

Still a fantastic thread, I was just thinking about this. I may need to get with my new swing coach on something!

I stand directly behind my ball and take a quick second to picture the shot I want to hit and pick my line. While Im doing this I take a couple of half speed swings to get a feel for my swing path, walk up to the ball and set my clubface behind it on the line I have chosen then I adjust my stance and take a rip at it.

This Yoccos guy is a joke. I've seen him golf and he doesn't do this. Maybe he should try and remember his pre shot routine.

Still a fantastic thread, I was just thinking about this. I may need to get with my new swing coach on something!

haha dont you hate getting called out by yourself? I have to call myself out sometimes. Is your swing coach a nerd like Foley? Fanny pack? lol

I just always hear how it helps to make it a routine. So i do the same thing for all driver/iron shots - and putting a little diff.

Driver/Iron - Stand behind ball - pick my line - find a piece of grass a few feet in front of my ball and thats my aim target now. Picture the shot exactly in the air and store in my head. walk to ball - line up with my aim target, one look down the target line, back at ball - trigger. Swing.

Putting - Read the green; Pick out the line until im sure thats the putt that will sink it. Picture it rolling in to the cup. Address ball - take a practce swing staring at hole for speed; practice stroke while looking down. Address ball - trigger - stroke it. hold for several seconds - then look up and hopefully the ball is rolling into the cup.

Tempo: my instructor mentioned that having good tempo on all shots be it irons/driver/putts. That way your swing is repeatable and you can learn distance. if your tempo is too fast one day - youll be off on your distances - too slow - and again off. So he said pick what works - some count 1 - 2 - 3 -4. Some sing a song. I like counting since i have no musical talent and im more technical. 1 is the trigger, 2 the backswing - 3 the transition down - 4 impact and follow through. should be the same everytime.

My pre-shot routine is as follows and may seem like a lot to think about but in reality I have ingrained this routine into my mind over the years that it is automatic and I don't even think about it anymore. The whole routine takes about 15 seconds.

Tee the ball or assess my lie
Stand behind my ball and visualize my shot while I take a practice swing to feel my tempo
Pick my target line a couple feet in front of my ball to match my visualized shot ..... at this point I am 100% committed to my shot
Step into my shot
Swing

Typically my preshot routine involves approaching the ball from behind, and visualizing where I want the ball to land. Then behind the the ball I take a practice swing along the intended target. Then I get in put the club behind the ball, set my feet, take a deep breath to clear my head of any negative thoughts. Then i think don't slice it, don't hook it, make sure you left elbow is straight. don't swing too hard...........Damn no wonder I can't hit the fairway.

The only place I have a set routine is on the green. I read my line from behind the ball, step up next to it and take a few practice swings until I feel I've got the right speed, then step in and swing. I don't do much walking around to read the line, because I find myself overthinking it too much. Over the years, I have found that my first read from behind the ball is as good as it's gonna get for me. Now, the rest of the shots, nothing set in stone. Don't take practice swings on the tee unless my swing has been off that day, then I do it just to try and ingrain proper swing. From the rough, I may take a few practice swings, depending on how deep it is. From the fairway, one, unless it's a funky lie. I need to work on developing one so I have a consistent routine, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Merged with a rather lengthy thread on the subject.

Sorry bout that... I swear I searched for "Routine" but in my skimming haste I did not see this one. Thanks Smallville.

My biggest problems are getting quick with my tempo and getting stuck inside. After picking my spot I take 2 easy practice swings to try and calm myself and feel the clubhead. I then step up, give it a waggle and fire. 30 seconds tops

If I am playing really well however, I get excited and nothing seems to work until I am sufficiently humbled again.

What is your pre-shot routine?

What is your pre-shot routine?

If you don't have one get one, no matter how you do it a pre-shot routine is critical to getting mentally and even physically ready to hit a proper golf shot.

Here is mine with reasons for why I do it in parens:

Check the yardage either GPS, laser or markers on the course and check the lie and decide what club to hit and what shot to hit. Once I decide that there is no going back, no changing it unless a gale blows in. (This is very important as far as being committed to the shot.) Then I will stand behind the ball and as I am picking out my target and my starting line (two different things!) I will try to visualize the shot I want to hit. If I can't see the shot in my mind then I pick a different shot until I can see it. (If you can't see it in your mind then you probably can't hit it - fact! Because it means you have most likely never hit that shot before anywhere even on the range.) I will then walk up next to the ball and step in with my right foot pointing straight at the ball and at a right angle to the target. (Very important to maintain correct alignment with the target) Then holding the club in my right hand only I will ground the club behind the ball with the face of the club aimed exactly in the direction I want the shot to go which should also be lined up exactly parallel to my right instep. (again - alignment) Once I have the club and my right foot lined up with the target I will step in with my left foot and make sure that my left foot is positioned so the ball is exactly where I want the ball to be in relation to that front foot (ball position - number one key to good contact and prerequisite to any good shot). As I do this I then put my left hand on the club and take my grip, without turning the club face away from the target (alignment again - very important) and then I step back to my right with my right foot to the width I want my stance to be depending on the club I am hitting making sure I keep my right foot at exactly the same right angle to the target (again this helps enormously with alignment and also locks in your stance and helps prevent swaying going back). At this point I make sure my weight is balanced and not on my heels or toes, flat footed sort of, and make sure my posture feels right, rear end out but not too far, etc. Also at this same time I am checking my balance and posture I will pick up the club and pull it in towards me to double check my distance from the ball by touching the butt end of the club to my left front pocket area and then put it back down behind the ball. (After doing this a thousand times I can tell instantly if I am setting up with the ball too far away, which almost never happens anymore, or if my posture is off and throwing my hands out away from my body too far). Once I make sure I am in the right place relative to the ball to make a good swing I will double check my arm hang to be sure my arms and hands are hanging down correctly and that my arm positions and angles are correct and that my grip is right for the shot and not too tight or loose. Any adjustments to the grip are made at this time and only after I know I am lined up perfectly with the ball and lined up on the line I want the ball to start out on. I will turn my head left once and double check my target line, I want to see the target line just to the right of my left shoulder as I look down that line. (Never pick your head up and turn to look down the line, always just rotate around your neck, the same way you are going to rotate in the swing , this is important). Then I will press my hands forward slightly and start back and make my swing. All this sounds like a lot but it really only takes about 10 seconds to actually do once I figure out the yardage and what club to hit and once I start this process I know I can swing hard and get a good result without any doubts creeping in because I have done it a thousand times before.

Wow, that's way to much to think about for a pre-shot routine, IMO. How long does it take you to hit a shot, 5 minutes? haha I'm
just bustin your chops. edit: I now see you say it only takes 10 seconds, not going to lie, I skimmed it.

I changed mine from what I used to about a month ago. Found I was thinking way to much by taking practice swings. So now, I get my yardage, grab my club, look at my target from behind the ball, take my stance, look up at target one time, maybe throw a waggle in there then fire away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that's way to much to think about for a pre-shot routine, IMO. How long does it take you to hit a shot, 5 minutes? haha I'm
just bustin your chops.

I changed mine from what I used to about a month ago. Found I was thinking way to much by taking practice swings. So now, I get my yardage, grab my club, look at my target from behind the ball, take my stance, look up at target one time, maybe throw a waggle in there then fire away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes a lot longer to write it down than it does to actually do it because a lot of it happens all at once, it probably doesn't take me more than 10 seconds to get set and hit the ball. And because I don't hit very many shots in a round I can take a little more time don't you think? Notice no practice swings in mine, don't ever do it. Just makes me tired. If I don't know how to swing by now then I never will. Alignment is way more important, I don't miss the ball but sometimes I miss the target because of sloppy alignment or a miscalculation of the wind or something. And thanks, chop busting is allowed, as long as I can go out and shoot 75 or 76 every weekend I don't mind it. Touche.

Back