Wilson Staff Di11 Irons Review Thread

Thanks for posting that Dave.

It was me, LOL.

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. The mashie is on my list of contenders. I will try Adams as well. Still working on wedges too.

I played my first round with the Di11's today and boy did they come through for me like troopers! I hit more GIR today then I think I ever had. I shot a 101 on a moderate course, but it was to no fault to my irons. They greens were punched and putting was close to impossible. I putted 40 times this round which is awful. Putting alone I could have shaved at least 5 strokes, at least. I just wanted to say thank you to this forum and all of the reviews. They helped a ton in the decision process and today proved I made a great choice. Even my long irons were being nice. I was hitting my 5 iron 210 and consistent. I was more than pleased. My favorite shot of the day though was the 13 hole, it was a 165 par 3. Pulled the 7 iron and hit it within 3 feet of the hole. I was stoked. It was awesome. Thanks a lot for all the advice guys, today was great and the irons were great too!

Hey all, I bought a set on ebay brand new, and just got them delivered yesterday! Im pretty excited to hit the range with them. They make a beautiful addition to my bag. There a very good looking iron, especially for a SGI iron.

Did you get fit for them? Or, now that you have them, have you have them adjusted in lie, length, etc.?

Any of the testers, or anyone else who has purchased the set, can answer this as well. I ask because I hit four of the clubs from the set and want to really purchase them, but there is no one near me doing fittings that sell these. I'm attending a Golf Digest / Golf World hosted Demo Day on Saturday (free fittings), but Wilson Staff will not be there. So I'll be fit for most of the other GI and SGI sets out, but not the Di11's.

Last edited:
Hello,

Long time lurker here - I just wanted to say how much I hate you guys because I'm about to pull the trigger on the Di11. I know my specs - does anyone know where I can call in to order 1.25 short and 1flat?

That's all.

Thanks!

The Brown truck dropped off a set of Di11's today. :D
I'll try to hit them this weekend sometime.

Pulled the wrapper's off today and I do not think I'll be hitting them!!!
They are to purdy to mess up, chrome you polish, not whack golf balls with. :D

New here also and have taken the leap of faith and pulled the trigger on the D 11's mostly due to the comments on this thread. My signature states that they are in the bag...not quite yet...but will be on Tuesday. After playing Ping, TM, Callaway and the rest of the big boys for years it's nice to see companies like Adams and Wilson finally get some respect.

Hello,

Long time lurker here - I just wanted to say how much I hate you guys because I'm about to pull the trigger on the Di11. I know my specs - does anyone know where I can call in to order 1.25 short and 1flat?

That's all.

Thanks!

you can call their customer service # 1-800-622-0444 Mon-Fri 8-5 CST

Thanks for all the great suggestions everyone. The mashie is on my list of contenders. I will try Adams as well. Still working on wedges too.

I played my first round with the Di11's today and boy did they come through for me like troopers! I hit more GIR today then I think I ever had. I shot a 101 on a moderate course, but it was to no fault to my irons. They greens were punched and putting was close to impossible. I putted 40 times this round which is awful. Putting alone I could have shaved at least 5 strokes, at least. I just wanted to say thank you to this forum and all of the reviews. They helped a ton in the decision process and today proved I made a great choice. Even my long irons were being nice. I was hitting my 5 iron 210 and consistent. I was more than pleased. My favorite shot of the day though was the 13 hole, it was a 165 par 3. Pulled the 7 iron and hit it within 3 feet of the hole. I was stoked. It was awesome. Thanks a lot for all the advice guys, today was great and the irons were great too!

Thats so great Divot, I'm so happy they are treating you well right out of the box. The short irons in the set are amazing, but like you I have found the long irons to be the easiest and highest launching that I have ever played. Looking forward to more of your updates as you get used to them.

Hello,

That's all.

Thanks!

So sorry we made you want these :alien: As Ron said the CS will hook you up with your specs, love to hear your thoughts when you pull the trigger on these bad boys.

Pulled the wrapper's off today and I do not think I'll be hitting them!!!
They are to purdy to mess up, chrome you polish, not whack golf balls with. :D

Funny! You got to hit them or they will be so sad, hit them well and hit them far.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions about these irons.

A few months ago I went to our local shop that has a range out back and tried a few of the new irons, the Callaway X24, Cobra S3Max, Burner, X22, and just for the helluvit I tried the Nike blades and cavity backs. For me the best performing out of the bunch was the X24 followed by the S3Max.
I went there yesterday to just look around and see what they had for NEW demos. I was hoping they had the Di11 to try, but they didn't. They had a set on the shelf as well as a couple other sets that caught my interest. They had no new 2011 irons to demo sorry to say.

So I'd like to know how these Di11 irons would compare to the X24 Hot and S3 Max since those are the only ones I have any knowledge of.

Any comparisons?

Thanks

Nalajr

Sorry folks, I didn't even take my Di11's on my trip. I bought an old set of Cleveand VAS 792 that I took and relived some old memories.

OEM just had him self a round!!

So I'd like to know how these Di11 irons would compare to the X24 Hot and S3 Max since those are the only ones I have any knowledge of.

I haven't hit X24, only Razr X. As for S3 Max, and S3 for that matter, I much preferred Di11.

Aesthetics - Loved the look of the club head, either in hand looking directly at it or at address.

Grip - Maybe this has to do with not using a bunch of different grips and not really knowing what a good, or great, grip is supposed to feel like, but I liked the grip. The design wasn't distracting to me and I especially liked the firmness.

Shaft - Didn’t mind the uniflex steel at all. Not knowing absolutely, but I can only assume my swing is smooth as I immediately felt at home and didn’t need a bunch of swings to get use to it.

Feel - When hit pure it was like hitting air. When I mishit, the vibration was not overly jarring.

Length - As previously mentioned, these irons are long. But it’s not just the stronger lofts. For me, it’s also due to the longer shafts. Eyeballing it, the Di11’s are ½ to ¾ inch longer than current irons. So I was getting more of a club and a half distance.

4i - My current starter set has supposed “easy to hit” 4 and 5 hybrids. Yeah right. I can confirm a regular looking long iron suits my eye and, more importantly, my swing so much better.

7i - Current club has a hollow back, but it’s a Hunchback of Notre Dame back. Di11 has the back of someone who has completed several cycles of P90X; not overly big just fit.

9i - Current club has a smaller, than the 7i, cavity back. The Di11 is just a tad thinner.

GW - This did take a few swings to get use to. My current wedges are all blades. But once I was use to it I asked myself, and then Wilson on Facebook (no answer yet), since the Di11 are the successor to the Di9, why was the Di9 46° AW and 49.5° GW dropped in favor only having a 46° GW in the Di11 set? Also, why no 58 or 60° LW for the Di11.

Last edited:
I attended a Demo Day on Saturday. Odyssey, Cobra, TM, Ping, Mizuno and Callaway were in attendance. I brought along Di11 7i with me and compared to several offerings.

As for the Demo Day, I hit the following:
• Cobra S3 and S3 Max - Grip was overly big to me and sort of spongy. To me both clubs were butt ugly. But I did like the S3 at address more than the S3 Max.
• Ping K15 - Absolutely hated everything about this club.
• Mizuno JPX-800 - It was so, so. But it was better than K15 and S3.
• Callaway Razr X - Only way to convey how much I loved this club is to say if the Di11 wasn’t such a good value in regards to price, these would be the irons for me. Great observed ball flight. I was able to hit it straight and work it left to right and right to left; especially after I had my first lesson. My fitting specs with the Razr X was + ¾ added length, 1° upright and 1-2° stronger loft.

So, I’m pretty set on getting Di11, but I have a previously posted fitting question regarding them for anyone who has purchased or is testing the set.
• Did you get fit for them first? Or did you get them adjusted in length, lie, loft, etc. after you received them?

Did you get fit for them first? Or did you get them adjusted in length, lie, loft, etc. after you received them?

They were built to each testers specs ahead of time. If you have the option of getting fit first, I strongly recommend it.

Did you get fit for them? Or, now that you have them, have you have them adjusted in lie, length, etc.?

Any of the testers, or anyone else who has purchased the set, can answer this as well. I ask because I hit four of the clubs from the set and want to really purchase them, but there is no one near me doing fittings that sell these. I'm attending a Golf Digest / Golf World hosted Demo Day on Saturday (free fittings), but Wilson Staff will not be there. So I'll be fit for most of the other GI and SGI sets out, but not the Di11's.

Aries we were fit for the clubs. Is there no way that you can get the Di11's fit for you?

New here also and have taken the leap of faith and pulled the trigger on the D 11's mostly due to the comments on this thread. My signature states that they are in the bag...not quite yet...but will be on Tuesday. After playing Ping, TM, Callaway and the rest of the big boys for years it's nice to see companies like Adams and Wilson finally get some respect.

Congrats buddy. I think you will be pleasantly surprised with these bad boys. I have also played all of the other guys clubs and these are the most forgiving of the bunch.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions about these irons.

A few months ago I went to our local shop that has a range out back and tried a few of the new irons, the Callaway X24, Cobra S3Max, Burner, X22, and just for the helluvit I tried the Nike blades and cavity backs. For me the best performing out of the bunch was the X24 followed by the S3Max.
I went there yesterday to just look around and see what they had for NEW demos. I was hoping they had the Di11 to try, but they didn't. They had a set on the shelf as well as a couple other sets that caught my interest. They had no new 2011 irons to demo sorry to say.

Any comparisons?

Thanks

Nalajr

I wish I could help you but I have never hit those clubs. I do have the RazrX's and the Di11's are more forgiving than those

Well I've been looking at getting some new clubs now that my swing has become consistent, and found this site while looking for Di11 reviews. They seemed perfect for me in terms of quality and price and this thread has gone a long way to convincing me that I should get a set. So I'm now waiting for my 5i - SW (including GW) to arrive, hopefully before the weekend.

Thanks to the testers for such amazing feedback and I'll let you all know how I get on with mine as soon as I get my hands on them.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I got fit for length and lie and ended up needing +0.5" and 2 degrees upright.

Great stuff BBUK. Can't wait to read how much you like them

Well I've been looking at getting some new clubs now that my swing has become consistent, and found this site while looking for Di11 reviews. They seemed perfect for me in terms of quality and price and this thread has gone a long way to convincing me that I should get a set. So I'm now waiting for my 5i - SW (including GW) to arrive, hopefully before the weekend.

Thanks to the testers for such amazing feedback and I'll let you all know how I get on with mine as soon as I get my hands on them.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I got fit for length and lie and ended up needing +0.5" and 2 degrees upright.

Congrats. Good luck and be sure to let us know when you get them.

Congrats man let us know how you like them. Those are the same specs I play with and I couldn't be happier with the Di11's.

Congrats on the new Di11's bog, welcome to thp. Those are the same specs my Ci9's are set at, we must have similar swings, LOL.

I've been playing a lot at a par 3 right around the corner from my apartment, and I am in love with my PW. It is so easy to hit, and I can do what ever I want with it. As I am improving I become more and more impressed with these clubs. I need to work on overall distance with my irons though, I have a good turn, but not a very good wrist hinge and I feel I am leaving a lot of power left unused.

Back