Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Fairway Wood Review

My dilemma with the Ai Smoke Fairway wood is that I hit it too good at ECPC hahahaha - Better than I was expecting, to be honest. Went with my gut (and it was a great decision) on the Utility, with @vgolfman only laughing at me a little bit.

Can't wait to hit it again. Having a lot of fun following along with the experiences you guys have had.
The Ai Smoke fairway is special. I wouldn’t want to have anything else in its place right now.

It’s shocking. I got my first hits in a month and was easily this was my best club. Whats shocking is the ground I was hitting off was awful after 2 weeks of non stop rain. Coming off covid I was shocked how much distance I was getting. I didn’t get numbers yesterday as I was fighting daylight and I wasn’t sure what kind of swing I would have post Covid. I seem to have a subtle draw as my stock hit with the 3 wood which is interesting and wasn’t expected. My standard hit was always a fade so it’s an interesting development I’ll have to keep an eye on.

Sidenote: Very little divot even on the terrible turf. Maybe alittle grass if you want to call it that. 😆 @Muchmore

Got some more work in today. Definitely feel like my 3 wood will be a big weapon off the tee going into this season. Knowing you got a club that’s going 250+ everytime definitely takes some serious pressure off especially when it’s rarely really off line. Has to be one of my most consistent clubs right now.

It still blows my mind that Callaway was able to what was an incredible fairway in the Paradym and improve it with the Smoke TD.

The Ai Smoke 7W is so much fun to hit that it's just silly. Had 193 into a green today, hit a high baby fade with the 7W that landed on the left fringe, kicked forward and right, and was going to be a nice GIR and maybe even close to the pin - until it hit a sprinkler head on the second bounce and ended up in the rough behind the green. 🤬 It's so effortless to get the ball in the air, and it's a great club from the fairway or light rough.

The Ai Smoke 7W is so much fun to hit that it's just silly. Had 193 into a green today, hit a high baby fade with the 7W that landed on the left fringe, kicked forward and right, and was going to be a nice GIR and maybe even close to the pin - until it hit a sprinkler head on the second bounce and ended up in the rough behind the green. 🤬 It's so effortless to get the ball in the air, and it's a great club from the fairway or light rough.
Love the 7w! 193 is an absolute bomb.

Love the 7w! 193 is an absolute bomb.
It gaps real nicely in my bag between the 5H and 3HL, and I love having a club in that slot that's so easy to hit.

Pretty sure my 3 wood just stepped up from favorite club to stone cold killer. 4 straight swings of 275+ per the head pro at the club I was at. I mean straight up smoked. That’s my farthest strikes with a 3 wood and easiest the most consistent numbers at that distance ever. Every single ball would have been in the fairway. You want talk about a freaking weapon. With my first spring event this weekend you couldn’t ask for better timing. Given my recovery from Covid right now the head pro said he thought I could crank it out a bit farther once I’ve got my strength back.

Second shot on a par 5 today, had 208 to the green. Hit the 3HL and ended up almost center of green. Left me a long eagle putt which I didn't make, but I converted for birdie. It's a great feeling having a 3W in the bag that I trust and feel confident with.

Second shot on a par 5 today, had 208 to the green. Hit the 3HL and ended up almost center of green. Left me a long eagle putt which I didn't make, but I converted for birdie. It's a great feeling having a 3W in the bag that I trust and feel confident with.
I can understand the confidence when you have a reliable 200-210 club in the bag. I know that’s a distance that I’ve struggled with in the past because it was too far for me with a 5w, unless perfectly struck, and I couldn’t really hit a 3w. I’m looking forward to seeing what the 3HL can do.

The TD 7W experience, is over.

It’s a launch monitor dream, but in the Oklahoma wind I just can’t confidently flight it off the tee, and there are a few holes on our course where that spot of the bag is the go to for me on that 235-245 yard shot.

It’s an absolutely electric and easy to hit club, I’m blown away at the jump from paradym to smoke, but, it’s just not the fit I need. So UW is back, and the 7 TD will seek out a new home.

The TD 7W experience, is over.

It’s a launch monitor dream, but in the Oklahoma wind I just can’t confidently flight it off the tee, and there are a few holes on our course where that spot of the bag is the go to for me on that 235-245 yard shot.

It’s an absolutely electric and easy to hit club, I’m blown away at the jump from paradym to smoke, but, it’s just not the fit I need. So UW is back, and the 7 TD will seek out a new home.
Bummer it didn’t work out, but happy to see the UW back in the bag.

Putting in work with the Smoke Max 5W and Heavenwood still, varied results off the mat, which isn't my favorite.

Part of me needs the season to get here quick, as I am getting antsy to hit these on course, but part of me knows it will never be the same as the first couple rounds with them. I'll never get conditions so lush.

Hardpan and sparse fairways await me come spring, not the consistent turf of California.

Finally got the Max 5W on the course this weekend. Left the UW at home so I wouldn't be tempted to just hit that in those situations. Only hit it twice but really happy with both. Once off the tee on a short par 4, which left me in the middle of the fairway. The other was on a par 5. Got lucky with a low drive that rolled out pretty well in the rough. Still had about 250 out, which is outside my normal range and certainly not something I'd usually try from the rough, but I'm testing so why not. Nice high fade that cleared the trap that guards the approach and rolled out just short of the green giving me a good looking chip shot. I ended up parring the hole, but definitely one of the highlights of my round.

Both times I pulled it, it was basically automatic. If this continues my UW could be in trouble.

Finally got the Max 5W on the course this weekend. Left the UW at home so I wouldn't be tempted to just hit that in those situations. Only hit it twice but really happy with both. Once off the tee on a short par 4, which left me in the middle of the fairway. The other was on a par 5. Got lucky with a low drive that rolled out pretty well in the rough. Still had about 250 out, which is outside my normal range and certainly not something I'd usually try from the rough, but I'm testing so why not. Nice high fade that cleared the trap that guards the approach and rolled out just short of the green giving me a good looking chip shot. I ended up parring the hole, but definitely one of the highlights of my round.

Both times I pulled it, it was basically automatic. If this continues my UW could be in trouble.
what do you think of the feel difference between the UW and Smoke FW?

what do you think of the feel difference between the UW and Smoke FW?
The UW is a different animal being kind of in between a hybrid and a FW. When I hit it well, it's a monster. I do lose it right sometimes though and sometimes over correct, which leads to a left miss. I've hit some amazing shots with it since putting it in the bag, but if I can get some more consistency in that spot I'll become a bit more aggressive at those distances. The Smoke 5W was point and shoot. Never a second thought about missing big left or right. Don't know if that continues but if it does I'll take the one I'm more confident in. It's a club that gets hit maybe a 2-3 times a round for me, so the more mindless that is, the better.

The UW is a different animal being kind of in between a hybrid and a FW. When I hit it well, it's a monster. I do lose it right sometimes though and sometimes over correct, which leads to a left miss. I've hit some amazing shots with it since putting it in the bag, but if I can get some more consistency in that spot I'll become a bit more aggressive at those distances. The Smoke 5W was point and shoot. Never a second thought about missing big left or right. Don't know if that continues but if it does I'll take the one I'm more confident in. It's a club that gets hit maybe a 2-3 times a round for me, so the more mindless that is, the better.
I have both in my bag. 19* UW and the 3HL. I like them both. the 3HL is a ball speed monster! and the UW prompts such a great high ball flight for me. (something very lacking in my game) with that dense addicting feel.

I have both in my bag. 19* UW and the 3HL. I like them both. the 3HL is a ball speed monster! and the UW prompts such a great high ball flight for me. (something very lacking in my game) with that dense addicting feel.
Yeah I have a 3H there now, and I've always wondered how a higher lofted UW would play for me. Depending on how the 5W gaps out with my hybrids I may shuffle stuff a bit (definitely going to hit the Smoke hybrids now) setup wise. I'll be honest I almost got the 3HL cut down a little, and it may ultimately end up gapping better, but I hit the 5W at PGATSS and fell in love on the very first swing. Totally an impulse buy. Only thing I changed was putting a 70G Tensei in instead of the 60.

I still have never tried a Heavenwood but I’m seriously considering blind purchase of an Ai Smoke Max HW with LINQ Purple shaft

I am at a fork in the road on what to do with the top of my bag. The Paradym X is performing well and giving me all I need off the tee, but the Smoke forgiveness/distance gains over Paradym are tough to be ignore.

My 3w is a Mavrik Max 3+ and is the most consistent/reliable club in my bag. I hesitate to move on from it, but I know I am leaving some distance on the table by not considering a newer option. I rather like the deeper look at address from the Mav Max 3+and need to go see if the Smoke Max or Smoke Max D presents the deeper look at address

I still have never tried a Heavenwood but I’m seriously considering blind purchase of an Ai Smoke Max HW with LINQ Purple shaft
They are pretty darn fun. If it slots into the right spot for you, I would definitely recommend it!

I am at a fork in the road on what to do with the top of my bag. The Paradym X is performing well and giving me all I need off the tee, but the Smoke forgiveness/distance gains over Paradym are tough to be ignore.

My 3w is a Mavrik Max 3+ and is the most consistent/reliable club in my bag. I hesitate to move on from it, but I know I am leaving some distance on the table by not considering a newer option. I rather like the deeper look at address from the Mav Max 3+and need to go see if the Smoke Max or Smoke Max D presents the deeper look at address
Finding a 3w you really like is tough, so no reason to rush into it before hitting the Smoke 3w.

I loved my Paradym TD 3w and before I hit the Smoke TD was concerned it wouldn't work as well, but it has turned out to be an improvement for me.

While I don’t have a Mav Max - I can show you the Rogue Max difference. The Smoke is deeper

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Smoke has a deeper profile and larger face than the Rogue

Finding a 3w you really like is tough, so no reason to rush into it before hitting the Smoke 3w.

I loved my Paradym TD 3w and before I hit the Smoke TD was concerned it wouldn't work as well, but it has turned out to be an improvement for me.
I agree on the 3w being particular, but with Callaway and their woods it has always been an easy transition. They just seem to keep getting better in this category and oftern times IMO are the sleeper of every line release.
While I don’t have a Mav Max - I can show you the Rogue Max difference. The Smoke is deeper

View attachment 9250188

View attachment 9250190

View attachment 9250192

View attachment 9250193

The Smoke has a deeper profile and larger face than the Rogue
These are perfect. Did you go HL for the launch help or was it performing better for you overall?

Back