What's your low rent guilty pleasures

Rice-a-Roni, anybody?

Another, Totinos party pizzas.

Publix will put them on sale for 10 for $10. Cant beat it.
Bro we should have bought stock in that company in my early days at the mill. Worked 12 hour shifts on nights 6 days a week just to get us by and didn’t have much extra cash for my lunches so it was Totinos pepperoni in the toaster over every day hahaha

Bro we should have bought stock in that company in my early days at the mill. Worked 12 hour shifts on nights 6 days a week just to get us by and didn’t have much extra cash for my lunches so it was Totinos pepperoni in the toaster over every day hahaha
So cheap, but soooo good.

So many good things in here. Some of my favorites were:
fried spam
Mac & cheese
Bologna Sandwich (mayo & American cheese)

Hot Tamales
Rotisserie Chickens from a random grocery deli
Pinto Beans
Taters (just not the Augraten nastiness)

aka "The Government Cheese" :LOL:
My mom used to take our commodity cheese to work and trade it for real cheese.

We also drank Flavorade because assistents Koolade was too expensive.

I'll still smash some top ramen.

Not sure it really fits with the topic, but we also are a ton of cheap cuts of meat that were braised until they fall apart and pretty damn delicious.

Also, I lured my now wife in with some drunken Totinos when I first met her. 😂

Rice-a-Roni, anybody?

Fried Rice version and add in canned chicken at the end...still cook that for lunch couple times a month.

Also, I lured my now wife in with some drunken Totinos when I first met her. 😂
"Wanna go back to my place to watch a movie and eat some cheap pizzas"

Ro Ok GIF by Rosanna Pansino

It's hard being iresistable, what can I say?
I may have fell for the same trick. I used to eat Totinos several times a week after the bar.

• Haha
Reactions: Bus
interesting thread. I like it. For me I'd say.

Ramen
Sloppy Joes
hot dog on sliced bread
fried spam and rice

I agree with hamburger helper in a way. One caveat: my mom used to buy the cheapest Mac and Cheese and a pound of burger because she said it was “just as good as the ‘name brand’”

Oh man... just remembered one that my grandma would make.

White bread
Sliced tomatoes
Mayo

May have just been the "everything grandma makes is better" effect, but I was all about it.

Damn. This thread. Mine is Velvita Mac and Cheese with canned corned mixed in. My mom used to make that all the time for me as dinner and I still make it. That couldn’t have cost $3 back in the late 80s and early 90s.

I always add a can of shredded chicken into my Velveeta

Growing up (being raised by a single mom), we didn't have a ton of money. So, we ate a lot of food that was, for lack of a better term, "cheap". As an adult I don't struggle like my mother did but there's still some of those foods that I actually still enjoy (probably more out of nostalgia than anything). Three off the top of my head are

1. Ramen Noodles
2. Hamburger Helper
3. Banquet Pot Pies

Whatchu got?
All of those for sure! Spaghettios. Can't believe they haven't been mentioned more in this thread. HH had to be beef pasta. Stroganoff also good

Forgot to add my other go-to: cabbage and smoked sausage. I cut up a head of cabbage into 2x2 inch pieces, give or take. Slice a hillshire farm kielbasa or beef sausage. Put it in an aluminum baking pan with butter, salt, and pepper. Cover it with foil and cook for an hour to hour and a half, stirring every 20 minutes or so, until the cabbage is tender. Costs like 5 bucks and I get multiple lunches out of a single pan.
Except a decent sized head of cabbage is about $5 now!

We used to make burritos once every couple of weeks when our boys were "growing". Brown up the rice from a Mexican Style Rice-Aroni, a lb of ground beef, thrown in, seasoning packet and a cup of water. Covered about 20 minutes. Scoop out onto tortilla shells. Top with salsa, sour cream & shredded cheese. Fed four for under $10.

Rice-a-Roni, anybody?

I used to absolutely kill Rice-a-Roni as a small boy. I'm talking me and a friend with an entire box split between ourselves, and enhanced with some squeeze butter (yes, doesn't sound good, but it was).

Hmmm...maybe that's why I'm not small anymore.

Back