2024 MLB Thread + Hot Stove Off Season

This makes sense. I like Will Smith but don't think of him as a great hitter off of Catcher. But maybe that is different if he moves.
That would be my concern too... just checked and his 162 game avg. is 30 HR & 103 RBI. Not bad. Maybe OF or 2B? Dodgers like to have C play 2B (Barnes).

That would be my concern too... just checked and his 162 game avg. is 30 HR & 103 RBI. Not bad. Maybe OF or 2B? Dodgers like to have C play 2B (Barnes).
I think he has appeared in parts of 1 game at 1B and 1 game at 3B but all other apperances have been at C or DH.

No way he stays a C. Freeman has 3 more years after this season and Smith will probably replace him at 1st. Freddie will be 38 then and Smith only 33 (turns 29 tomorrow) that year. That would be my guess as their plan.

Contract is a sweet birthday present.
They will move Smith to 3B. He played there and 2B in the minors.

Phillies having to postpose already before the season has even started. With the warm weather teams, you'd think they could avoid playing games in places like Philadelphia in March.

@War Eagle , should we make this first series interesting?

Phillies having to postpose already before the season has even started. With the warm weather teams, you'd think they could avoid playing games in places like Philadelphia in March.

SFG start on the road every year. We always play 2 series on the road first. I never understood why cold weather teams don't start here even just to give an extra week.

SFG start on the road every year. We always play 2 series on the road first. I never understood why cold weather teams don't start here even just to give an extra week.
Or maybe they don't actually need to play 162 damn games! That's a whole different story though.

I’m down.

Or maybe they don't actually need to play 162 damn games! That's a whole different story though.
Yeah, totally different story. I think I would be good at 132 - 144 and starting end of April. But Baseball records.

They will move Smith to 3B. He played there and 2B in the minors.
Wouldn’t be a Dodger if he didn’t play a 2nd position. They have a couple good C prospects in minors rt now too.

Same with the Mets for the 2nd year in a row.

Adding teams to the playoffs has also pushed games earlier in the year

This makes sense. I like Will Smith but don't think of him as a great hitter off of Catcher. But maybe that is different if he moves.
He’s a tremendous hitter as a catcher. His OBP will stay with him (it’s a skill that a player owns for most of their career)
His batting value drops if he goes to a pure “hitters” position

They can play 162. They played doubleheaders for many years. I know why they don’t anymore because owners want as many home dates as possible. They also don’t need to start in late March in cold weather cities in stadiums without domes.

How do you feel about Montana made chocolate rum?

"Ewww gross" is a perfectly acceptable answer if that is how you feel.
A rum bet. I can dig it.

Siesta Key, FL rum is a thing.

A rum bet. I can dig it.

Siesta Key, FL rum is a thing.
I don't drink, so would have to be something different when the Phils sweep them, but I just like sharing this with people because the distillery is out "neighbor". They make a non-chocolate version too, this one is just a recent special release.

I don't drink, so would have to be something different when the Phils sweep them, but I just like sharing this with people because the distillery is out "neighbor". They make a non-chocolate version too, this one is just a recent special release.
Ok, bet. I can come up with something.

• Appreciation
Reactions: Bus
The Will Smith contract details are out and it includes 5M of deferred compensation per year, so 50M total of the 140M total. 30M will be paid in two equal payments as a signing bonus this year and next.

819BF12A-D358-4E41-AD47-ED0CE6F79570.gif
Happy Opening Day everyone!

Back