“If it makes me better, I’ll play it, no matter what it looks like!” - Be Honest

I took a pic for this thread, I tried to replace this wedge but realised after a season that I was making a mistake. Best wedge Combination for me is this with a PM Grind 64. Sounds odd but that combination covers me for every conceivable scenario.
Looking down on it I think it's actually a really good looking shape but people still won't play it even though it's probably the most forgiving wedge available.
I've had this one for ages now but I'm going to replace it with the new one for next season.
Looking down at that I bet people can't guess what it is.
e2f09095cb26d7388ac3238a501d24ff.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

There are clubs I wouldn’t play, but it’s usually more due to the manufacturer than the appearance. Usually the more “out there” something looks the more I’m drawn to it. Most of the clubs (particularly irons) that I see people list over on here just look boring to me.

I took a pic for this thread, I tried to replace this wedge but realised after a season that I was making a mistake. Best wedge Combination for me is this with a PM Grind 64. Sounds odd but that combination covers me for every conceivable scenario.
Looking down on it I think it's actually a really good looking shape but people still won't play it even though it's probably the most forgiving wedge available.
I've had this one for ages now but I'm going to replace it with the new one for next season.

Oh, you underestimate me. Hahaha

That ferrule is Cleveland. That brings me to lay a wild guess based on your forgiveness comment that it’s one of the Niblick’s?

It looks a lot like my old Cleveland RTX 588s.

Oh, you underestimate me. Hahaha

That ferrule is Cleveland. That brings me to lay a wild guess based on your forgiveness comment that it’s one of the Niblick’s?
Haha I wasn't doubting your ability to guess!
It looks a lot like my old Cleveland RTX 588s.
Which to me is a good thing as that's a gorgeous shape!

Its a Cleveland Smart Sole 2 sand wedge. 58° but I tend to play it with a lot of forward press and allow the sole to give me the forgiveness to not worry about tight or thick lies.

Actually discovered it thanks to this forum when I was in a desperate place with my chipping.

Haha I wasn't doubting your ability to guess! Which to me is a good thing as that's a gorgeous shape!

Its a Cleveland Smart Sole 2 sand wedge. 58° but I tend to play it with a lot of forward press and allow the sole to give me the forgiveness to not worry about tight or thick lies.

Actually discovered it thanks to this forum when I was in a desperate place with my chipping.

I was close!
The SS’s are sneaky good!

I was close!
The SS’s are sneaky good!
I tried to replace it recently with something 'more acceptable' and then just asked myself what are you doing. I'm done with trying to be conventional, if it improves my game and makes me better then I'm all in.
Most of the time we end up tripping ourselves over.

I tried to replace it recently with something 'more acceptable' and then just asked myself what are you doing. I'm done with trying to be conventional, if it improves my game and makes me better then I'm all in.
Most of the time we end up tripping ourselves over.

When it works, it works!

Nope. It has to appeal to my eye for me to use it. As I said in another thread the one exception was a putter I almost didn’t even try because it looked awkward. I bought it that day. It wasn’t ugly to me just a bit weird looking but it grew on me pretty quick. Outside that, I just don’t see me even picking up something I don’t like the look of. It doesn’t have to thrill me but it can’t be disgusting either. And in some cases color alone matters.

I wish I could say I would 100% play anything that helped my game even if it was hideous to look down at. I just can’t though, I don’t think I have ever played a club I didn’t like the look of and yes I like the look of turbulators

Last edited:
If we are talking about something that looks like that training aid contraption in Tin Cup, probably not. But in the real world of golf equipment there isn't anything that ridiculous. I've played some equipment that many considered quite ugly: square headed driver, and long putter with wings (someone said it looked like something Batman would have). There was even a time when 400+cc drivers came out that a lot of players thought those looked ridiculous. So, yes I would. I have and I'd do it again.

I've never said that, and I don't subscribe to that lol.

I say I would but if something that suits my eye better and is close in numbers...I can't promise logic would win out.

For me, it has to look good and good means for a purpose in order for me to play it, however, there are a lot of clubs that look good that I can't play, so there's that!

Last edited:

A Cleveland smart sole wedge?

Lol I just pulled out the ole Odyssey Tri ball putter from the closet and can't believe I played that for a little while back in late 2000s. Has to be the ugliest putter ever. I would get ride of it even if I made more putts per round.

At some point, most of us have said or typed those exact words, yet it’s not really the case, is it?

Time to come clean, could you REALLY use a dinner plate sized putter or a driver that sounds like a toaster if it made you better?

As I myself ponder OL irons, I’m having to ask this very question and being honest is rough!

I cannot get behind big putters like a Spider, no matter how good others like them. I prefer a blade though don’t mind the blade plus version of the Huntington Beach

Cleveland SS are the biggest improvement to my game. They hard to chunk.

When it comes to looks, definitely not. Looks, for me, inspire confidence. I loved the overall design of the winged back putters (i.e. the Odyssey 7's), but when I looked down at one I hated it. Ultimately passed up an amazing deal on one of the red 7's because of it.

As long as it is legal and within my budget yes.

Yes, will never understand the aesthetic preference of looking at a ( ..... insert here ) club because ‘ it fits my eye’ that’s a very very boring answer and somewhat insular ...

lf the ugliest legal equipment made the ball go straighter and longer in a driving sense, l imagine that the percentage of not fitting my eye would shun it ? Even if the card had significantly less numerals marked on it or perhaps silverwarpain hand...

Sound never worried me , no preference

Irons / Putters also , if it’s about improvement in performance and that’s what we lust for... why not ?

I played the Triton driver for several years. Odd looking and sounded like someone kicking a trash can but it was long.

I will take any help I can get. I think I draw the line at anything that is bright pink, but you never know...

I don't so much mind how "ugly" or oddly shaped a club might be within reason. But honestly, the first time I set a club up behind the ball it need to look like it is going to hit a good shot. So like fairway woods or drivers with offset I'll never even know if they work because I'd have to figure out how to line the darn things up correctly. Or vice versa, I've seen a few irons with absolutely zero offset and those are tricky to line up because I learned to play on Titleist DCI's with some offset to them.

All that aside, I won't play clubs that are beat to heck. If they're dinged up or the grooves are damaged or there's sky marks or ding on top of the crown of a driver I just won't use it. My everyday clubs definitely show plenty of signs of wear, they don't look "mint". But they aren't mistreated or beat up.

This is a really tough one to answer - I can't go all in, there are just certain clubs I cannot (will not) play. For example a bag of hybrids, or some Super Game Improvement - such as the PXG 0311 SGI - have you seen the sole size on these? I could (and do) play a few hybrids and I could easily swap say a 3 and 4 SGI for them - or interchange them (I guess), but otherwise - it'd be kinda tough. As to putters, I finally (this year) moved on from one of MANY blade putters to my Odyssey EXO 7S - so I think I could play nearly any putter - but still there are a few that are just SO UGLY it'd be hard to play them - however, if I could be shown sufficient data/proof that putter XYZ would reduce my score by maybe 2 or so shots a game, I'd have a hard time saying no (note - that would still not work with the SGI or all hybrid irons). Check back when I am even older and have lost even more distance!

Woods - when the 460 limit was reached and companies started making them and introducing color to the mix - I was (and remain) on board, that said, where I used to play an R5 and another different TM product, presently, I have mental issues with TM woods - maybe it's just that...mental issues.

Back